Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So it begins (Character name changes coming soon)

Default Re: So it begins (Character name changes coming soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sietsh-Tenk View Post
    Or to point out a more labour-intensive (because it's 3D, I guess everyone always claims it takes more time and effort) example: the more recent Nintendo games, which were made purely from game sales, since Nintendo loses money on its hardware cause they keep it cheap.
    It may not be more labour-intensive, that I will give you. But it is definitely far more expensive. The cost of making a game now is on par with multi-million dollar movies. Ever wonder why developers sign on to big name publishers and distribution companies like EA or Activision? This isn't the 90's where dev teams are small and it's easy enough create sprites that have animations that number in the double digits. And this isn't the fault of Blizzard, Activision, or even consumers. Bottom line - shit is more expensive now. Ever hear about old people talk about how gas used to be 5 cent a gallon? This is sort of like that, now granted, this may not apply all that much to SC seeing as though there was already a pretty large niche demographic that could make up the cost up the game, but they also had to cater to newcomers who don't have the nostalgic memories of playing the old SC.
    And just to mention it, Blizzard does still somewhat listens to it's players. Remember the name changes for forums and such for WoW? Remember the huge public outcry against it? Well it worked. Same goes for this, if it really is a big enough issue for people that there is a big enough cry against it, then it won't go through and we'll probably have a free name changing system.

You've said you'll quit so often already spychi, so just do it or stop using the threat. My opinion on this is it is fine and only one kind of person might be upset, pro gamers. This will allow progamers to put team names in their nicknames beacuse now they can change them if they change teams. Now they probably will have to do so because teams and sponsors know they won't have to support players advertising other teams due to old affiliations. Many of them will probably do this more than one time and have to pay. However, they can just get the team to pick up the tab, so its not that big a deal.

Really so many people here just want to rip blizzard for antyhing. Blizzard is a business they need to make money. and offering OPTIONAL services for bnet that add money is perfectly fine. If you don't like what blizzard is doing, fine everyone is entitled to an opinion, but stop acting like its the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazur View Post
    This doesn't affect me since I don't plan to change my time, but I'm still disgusted by this kind of business move. You know damn well it's an easy change to adjust one's name.
    I feel the same way. I'm not at all interested in changing my name, but it's a pretty sleazy move nonetheless.

Forget the wall of text... Let's see if I can get approval for an editorial...
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

The community knows what's worth fighting for. Forcing you to reveal your full name was a huge issue that rightfully drew loads of attention. This isn't for the simple reason that it is unimportant. Times change and so do business models. Micro trans and vanity items are here to stay. The only thing you can do is to not finacially support the services you don't like. Well, the other option is to say you won't support them but do anyway. Some people around here are huge fans of that.
    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

I don't really see how you can hate on this. They are giving everyone a free name change and it has absolutely no effect on gameplay. It's not like I'm playing 10 bucks to make my marines have +20 hit points!

I said it before and I say it again.

What is wrong with a free namechange? And then a fee if you screwed up AGAIN!

looking forward to that editorial gifted.

quoting something for emphasis:

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthourne View Post
    Considering that Blizzard is trying to make everybody be more responsible by ensuring that their nickname is their one and only identity, I am absolutely okay with people having to pay to change their names. The ability to create an infinite amount of avatars creates a universe of no consequence. Want to get 100-0 win/loss record? Just create a new account! You make a total ass of yourself on the forums? No problem! Just make a new avatar and nobody will know the difference!

I'm totally in line with Blizz on this one.
    ... among the rest of the posters here, there seem to be little if any considerations along these lines; there are externalities arising from allowing unlimited free name changes. thats bad for community building in and around B.net .. something that can grow very important, not least with concerns to community feedback & two-way communication during the development of Heart of the swarm and legacy of the void.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

dustinbrowder's Avatar Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthourne View Post
    Considering that Blizzard is trying to make everybody be more responsible by ensuring that their nickname is their one and only identity, I am absolutely okay with people having to pay to change their names. The ability to create an infinite amount of avatars creates a universe of no consequence. Want to get 100-0 win/loss record? Just create a new account! You make a total ass of yourself on the forums? No problem! Just make a new avatar and nobody will know the difference!

I'm totally in line with Blizz on this one.
    Maybe now, wait 3-4 months before you are forced to pay for chat channels, premium chat channel features like creating a clan, adding description for the clan, etc...
    Than wait 5-6 months before you are forced to pay for changing region to play in, forced to pay for more uploading space and map space and so on...

It always starts with these small features with something like $5 bucks per username change and ends up being standard thing and you pay $15 bucks per month.

I for one am totally against this, as you were able to change your username how many times you like in SC1 and WC3 FREE.

Now they are offering the same features for money.

Heck if this is the way Blizzard plans to go, they might as well stop making these games and only make online games like world of starcraft, world of diablo, world of money grabbing, world of life 2.0, world of all your money are belong to us and so on...

Really so many people here just want to rip blizzard for antyhing. Blizzard is a business they need to make money. and offering OPTIONAL services for bnet that add money is perfectly fine. If you don't like what blizzard is doing, fine everyone is entitled to an opinion, but stop acting like its the end of the world.
    If its optional, why was it available in SC1 and WC3 free of charge?

I don't get it, one moment its free and the other its paid and you are okay with it?
    Its like movie companies charging you all the time, after watching the movie more than once, even after you purchased a disc copy!
    Last edited by dustinbrowder; 08-17-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0x View Post
    And how exacly does it do that? Battle.net as it currently is generates zero income. How will it yield a profit with absolutely no income?
    B-net is not sold as an Individual product but a component of WoW, Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3.