Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Turret Island" vs Protoss Fleet

nyannyan's Avatar Junior Member

Default "Turret Island" vs Protoss Fleet

Hi,

I just finished playing a weird game --a terran escaped to the top-right island with his CC, and built a dozen of turrets while I was loitering around, waiting for gg.

I maxed out in the population, made a fleet of void rays and carriers (+ a mothership for the fun of it), didn't even bother to upgrade shields. I thought they'd sweep the island pretty easily so I didn't micro the fleet either, didn't even rebuild the interceptors --until I realized the fleet is overwhelmed by the island of turrets.

I was going to see what will happen if I fill the whole population (was gonna kill my ground units) with full upgraded carrier army (void rays die pretty easier) and a bit of microing, but it was already a late hour and after losing his CC, the guy called gg.

I don't know whether if there're island maps anymore (haven't seen any so far), but if there are, it appears that it may getting pretty though for protoss in the absence of corsairs. Which makes me think the protoss fleet is lacking in this sense. Relying on interceptor range and microing the carriers forth and back, and waiting for the shileds should work, but nevertheless I was expecting a lot more with a direct, lazy attack.

What would you guys do to take down an island of turrets as protoss/terran/zerg?

Default Re: "Turret Island" vs Protoss Fleet

mother ship mass recall. today i had a similar game. carrier interceptors as a distraction(meat shield) for the missles as your mother ship moves into position to mass recall
    ~KyranX

Voids rays. Build a pylon before you head to the island, charge up on it and head to his base and i can pretty much guarantee you will win.

nyannyan's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kyr200 View Post
    mother ship mass recall. today i had a similar game. carrier interceptors as a distraction(meat shield) for the missles as your mother ship moves into position to mass recall
    Aww, indeed. I was considering all was gone with Arbeiter. It moves damn slow though, gotta be extra careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdawsman View Post
    Voids rays. Build a pylon before you head to the island, charge up on it and head to his base and i can pretty much guarantee you will win.
    Not sure how 100% Void Ray population would play out in an actual experiment , but they seemed too fragile for this job.

void rays are just horrible. 1 missle turret can take down 1 pre charged void ray
    ~KyranX

Quote Originally Posted by kyr200 View Post
    void rays are just horrible. 1 missle turret can take down 1 pre charged void ray
    I didn't say 1 void ray. 12 void rays would easily destroy 12 missile turrets no questions asked.

that is if you could single out each missle turret. if even 2 turrets manages to engage ur 12 void rays(as in while shooting one turret another turret manages to shoot u as well) u will have heavy loses.
    ~KyranX

Carriers should destroy the Turrets with no problems. Or better: send the Carriers, then the VRs. Once the Turrets are shooting Interceptors, the VRs have all the time in the world to charge. Interceptors should be on auto-build if you have such an amount of Minerals, or at least get 8 Interceptors per Carrier before the attack.

I miss the hallucinated arbiter and dweb though.

use warp in and transports covered by vr/carriers.