Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You Can't Hate George Lucas Anymore.

Default Re: You Can't Hate George Lucas Anymore.

George Lucas is the worst thing to ever happen to Star Wars.

Demo is absolutely right. I've never been so disgusted by the creator of something I love as much as George.
    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    George Lucas is the worst thing to ever happen to Star Wars.
    While I love bashing Mr. Lucas for the travesty that is the prequel Star Wars trilogy...I do have to say though that he has done a whole lot of good.

Forgive him, I will. A few reasons why, I will list.

Lucasfilm

Lucasarts

Skywalker Sound

THX

and of course...

Industrial Light and Magic (Try to imagine the last 30 years of entertainment history without this company.)

Sure we bash the guy...but he and his companies helped reinvent filmmaking. Without his influence, entertainment today would just not be the same.

So go ahead and call him an idiot, a fool, the worst thing to happen to Star Wars, a turd, or whatever. I guess in this world you are never remembered for the good things and positive impact you have...only the things you screw up. Terrible, terrible shame IMO.
    Last edited by //MavericK\\; 08-11-2010 at 03:27 PM.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

It's kind of funny that this is posted here because when I started to see all of the SP criticism after WOL I started to wonder if Blizzard could one day become one big, huge George Lucas to many fans. Granted, I don't think they'll ever disappoint their fans as much as that but it seems that more and more fans are starting to hate their favorite gaming company even as they love it.

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

Here's another thing...I think that the Prequels, while in no way what our generation hoped they would be, will age much better among the younger audiences.

The little kids who are growing up with the prequels today are going to have a different view of them than we do. We are all too jaded and stuck in our ways, comparing them to the originals constantly and just better movies in general.

I'm willing to bet in 30 years...the children of today will think the prequels are actually pretty good. It all depends on your point of view. And for little kids, these movies probably come off as being very cool. Little kids don't care as much--if at all--about bad acting, silly plots and stupid characters. To them, it's just superheroes and villains duking it out with light-sabers and nifty spaceships, constantly surrounded by awesome special effects. Only time will tell the tale, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TychusFindlay View Post
    It's kind of funny that this is posted here because when I started to see all of the SP criticism after WOL I started to wonder if Blizzard could one day become one big, huge George Lucas to many fans. Granted, I don't think they'll ever disappoint their fans as much as that but it seems that more and more fans are starting to hate their favorite gaming company even as they love it.
    As for Blizz disappointing on the same or a similar level...maybe. My fear is they might possibly drift down the Activision road and quality will take a back seat to financial gain. But so far...SCII is truly awesome from my perspective and well worth the wait. Diablo 3 looks great and I'm intrigued by the new MMO. Blizz is still doing things right by me.
    Last edited by //MavericK\\; 08-11-2010 at 03:14 PM.

I don't understand why people hate the prequels so badly.
    Provided they weren't the best movies ever, they still aren't super-awful.

It's just the Anakin-Padme love story and some of the cheesy dialogue...
    And I prefer the whole idea of the Clone Wars not being orchestrated by some machine guy but rather by the Emperor himself. Kinda like in StarCraft, where the events where all orchestrated by a mysterious entity known as "the dark voice".

Episode 3 was nice, though I didn't personally like how Anakin kept acting like a child in the prequels. Obi-Wan was perfectly fine IMO, so were Yoda and Palpatine.

Kudos to Arkceangel for the Terran avatar and sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex06 View Post
    I don't understand why people hate the prequels so badly.
    Provided they weren't the best movies ever, they still aren't super-awful.
    But they ARE super-awful. Instead of showing how Anakin slowly turns to the dark side, they shown an easily fooled, irrational character.
    The decisions of the Jedi counsel are pathetic, also. "Hum... i feel danger in this boy, so i will let our less experienced Jedi to train him on his own".

Norfindel speaks the truth. Not only are the movies themselves chock-full of terrible acting, terrible dialogue, and terrible storylines, but they went flat out against some of the most cherished ideas of the expanded universe.

Basically George Lucas said "here, I'll let you play in my sandbox, I'll let you build awesome sandcastles that I will charge out the buttocks for, and then when it comes time for me to make even more millions of dollars I will casually sandblast your little castles and tell you to go F yourselves."

Lucas came this close, this close, to refusing to name the capital planet Coruscant, a name Timothy Zahn came up with. Basically, before Heir to the Empire came out, Star Wars was dead. People, even the huge fans, had largely forgotten about Star Wars and had written it off as a nostalgic part of their youth.

Zahn's books come out and after that Star Wars never died. Lucas owes everything to Zahn and the myriads of authors who followed, and yet he casually smacks them aside and refuses to honor almost everything they created.

Sure, most of the books are crap and stupid, but still...it's the principle of thing.
    Without a home. Without a people. Without mercy. The Arcani

Blizzard's Exact Mathematical Definition of Soon™: {soon|1 month<soon<∞}

Another?!