Thread: Conspiracy and Politics of WoL

Default Conspiracy and Politics of WoL

I've been trying to puzzle out the plots Arcturus and Valerian have going. At first they seem antagonistic and mutually opposed, but after thinking about it for a while I think they may be working together, even through the end of the campaign.

Arcturus granted Tychus amnesty on the condition he fulfills two missions: recovery of the artifacts and assassination of Kerrigan. At this point it seems as though he hands him over to Valerian to act as representative between his Moebius Foundation and the Raiders. To ensure his cooperation, Tychus' armor is rigged to shut down his vital organs if tampered with or if he disobeys his directives.

Later on it seems as though Valerian betrays his father in procuring "half" the Dominion fleet.

My problem with this is, how would Mengsk expect Tychus to assassinate Kerrigan without breaching Char? Did he anticipate Tychus and Raynor and co. to run into Kerrigan while looking for the artifacts? It seems as though the only point at which Valerian's and Arcturus' plans diverge is on how Kerrigan is neutralized. Daddy wants her dead, Sonny wants her rehabilitated. I think Arcturus' surprise at half his fleet missing was a ruse so Raynor would suspect nothing.

Tychus had two masters, and was presumably in contact more often with Valerian than Arcturus. I think this interesting, as Valerian may have known about tall the Raider's plans against his father and never moved to stop them. He may have even goaded Tychus on from behind the scenes, all in an effort to discredit his father.

One remaining question lingers: Duran's involvement. I think we can all agree that Emil Narud is in fact Samir Duran. Duran and his Moebius Foundation assist Valerian in finding and piecing together the Xel'Naga artifact.

What could this mean?

I believe he wanted Valerian to use it to deinfest Kerrigan. But why? This would leave the Swarm aimless, as well as preserve Kerrigan's life. However, this also means that a new manager-level career opportunity has arisen in the Swarm, and much of the knowledge Kerrigan has garnered will be preserved. Does Duran have future plans for her? Undoubtedly.

Finally, what does Duran want of humanity? Before, I always thought he wanted their presence and interference minimized, and yet he is giving Xel'Naga artifacts and knowledge to them practically left and right. Does he believe humanity too weak to pose a threat, even with this technology? I somehow doubt he'll underestimate them so thoroughly.

I went back and listened to Narud's comments on the Xel'Naga in the Moebius Factor to see if I could discern anything from his lines or acting, but couldn't. If anything he doesn't seem hostile to them.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Default Re: Conspiracy and Politics of WoL

Don't forget, Blizzard wrote this. They're not exactly the brightest crayons in the box. Don't expect any Bioshock-type twists.

... Yeah, I had this in mind, too... I just wondered how they explain everything to themselves when Tychus has two masters. ._.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

IMO, Arcturus Mengsk expected to be betrayed by his son. He allowed half his forces to attack Char (no way would he allow them to be stolen from him), which put Findlay in the position to kill Kerrigan.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."