Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC 2 slowdown

Default SC 2 slowdown

Start by saying I dont have the best laptop around, but it has always ran World of Warcraft fine (albet on its lowest settings) so i thought SC2 would be fine. Be forewarned I know little to nothing about computers really.

Well that wasent the case. The wierd thing is that it has gotten aggresively worse.

Hour 1-Download SC 2, play the first mission, made sure that I was on lowest settings, everythings fine.

Hour 2-played around in multiplayer, lagged out in 4 v 4, but other then that seemed fine. Went through my computer and deleted some junk files and cleaned things up.

Hours 3-4 Took a break

Hour 5-Played around in Campaign, for awhile, seemed a little slow but nothing really bad until the end of Zero Hour (when the BC come along) completely slowed down my comp, and the fps was completely down, but didn't lag out.

Hour 6- Are when things go to hell. Playing The Evacuation, and dropped off the first group of civilians and immediately lagged out (and by that I mean the screen goes to black and the sound repeats in the background, my computer then shuts down). Restart my comp and try again, this time I only made it to the base before I lag out. Mad sure my video driver was upgraded I checked that. Getting frustrated I try playing 1 v 1 game (thinking that I was playing 3 v 3 just fine earlier) didn't even make it into the game before I lagged out!.

Now I can understand the game running slow, but why did I go from running Single Player running fine, to haveing to reboot my comp at the drop of a hat, and why do i go from 3 v 3 fine to now cant even loading 1 v 1?

Can anyone help me?

and no buying a whole new comp isent an option. Not till atleast november

Aznargo's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: SC 2 slowdown

What are your specs?

Adun Toridas!
    Current Status - The Worst SC2 Player of All Time

Sounds like your only option is buying a new computer. It sounds like you are overheating which is causing the shutdown. Either that or your computer is ancient.

It's called overheating, laptops usually got this problem.

yeah im hoping it was just overheating

and I checked "Can You Run It?" and the only thing that isent optimal is my graphics card. I have a Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family/

Now my question to you guys is would it be cheaper to buy and have someone install a new graphics card, or just wait alittle and buy a newer laptop?

took a few hour break and have been playing 2 v 2 against the computer just fine. Still got to get an upgrade some how still though, been waiting 10 years for this game, not really likeing playing it on the lowest setting.

btw does anyone else find it creepy that when you beat the computer it says gg?

If the notebook overheats, you could help it cool with a notebook base that keeps it raised, with lots of empty space below. If needed, you could point a fan to the notebook to move the hot air out faster (sideways would be better than pointing down on the notebook).

Alright firstly your computer shut down by itself to stop hardware malfunction. A typical CPU can take up to around 110 C (metric) of heat before it will break well intel CPUs anyway. However you do not want to have it ever get to that temp as it is unstable. So probably I would turn anti-aliasing off and cap the frame rate which will give your GPU some breathing room. Also lower the graphics settings if possible. Also get some ventilation as in don't play on your lap put it on a desk with maybe a stand under it to get some more air flow. You can actually get stands that have fans built in that blow cool air into your computer

I have a 9800 GX2 and I can play ultra everything absolutely fine but I play in low because I still live in the 1990s (no for real I just close my eyes and pretend it is 2d).
    Last edited by dejai; 07-30-2010 at 10:15 PM.

guru's Avatar Junior Member

I got a cooling pad for my notebook and it works great. It was boiling before but now it's smooth. You should buy one before getting another computer. It's cheaper than another station anyway )

Yeah, they could at least include some "legs", like the ones on the keyboard to keep the thing from cooking itself. Also, one of the worst working conditions possible for a li-ion battery is 100% charge and hot. For 10000 credits, who can guess how they work in a notebook all the time?