Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: My review/opinion of the campaign.

  1. #1
    Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,214

    Default My review/opinion of the campaign.

    Alright, so I played the campaign and my overall conclusion is that the gameplay left me pretty content, but the atmosphere of it was largely ruined by other 'lacking' areas that needed much polish.

    First of all, the Protoss review demonstration, the FIRST video that we've ever seen, set the bar for so many neat and good looking aspects of the game.
    When Admiral Gaskerville (or whatever) talked, did you see how much effort was put into making his expressions realistic? He leaned forward, leaned back, furrowed his brow, grit his teeth and even pointed his finger at those hostile Protoss. The model animation was really impressive. Voice acting went along really well with it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwqD138QHmQ
    2:30 mark

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzvx5hsLcbI
    5:35 mark - here is where you see the modeling animation done right

    What's in SC2? Nothing, it's mostly just a bobbling head and lips synced to the lines. Matt horner reuses his animation every time you talk to him (he looks down a bit then snaps back to attention). This is an area that I'm highly disappointed with (although in the Char cinematics it was very well done).

    Secondly, is the lack of transitions in the game's dialogue and the UI.

    Notice how when the Admiral talks, the chat box phases in? It looks so smooth. When the Protoss shows up, his portrait box phases in on the RIGHT side of the screen. This effectively allows for better dialogue animation as well.

    The release version of the game does NEITHER of these. Not only does the Terran portrait box just appear out of thin air (they couldn't even make it slide in?), when characters talk to each other there is always a pause at the end of each speech, before the next character shows up in the box to continue the discussion. This feels extremely disjointed and doesn't flow well. It's just hard to get into the feeling of the discussion when it's done so lazily. No appearance animations, talking bobbleheads with little or no expressions, and dialogue that doesn't run smoothly.

    And Third, is just the voice work. Now this is highly opinionated of course, as many people may feel otherwise so it's more of a personal thing than an objective quality aspect (like the aforementioned issue). Zeratul sounds horrible compared to SC1. His voice actor probably isn't the problem here, I bet it's whoever the hell wrote his lines. Since when did he become so prophetic and pansy like? In SC1 he waxed poetic, but in a strong manner with good vocabulary. In SC2 it just sounds cheesy.

    In another thread someone mentioned all the races in SC2 taking a hit to their badassery. I cannot stress how much I agree with this.

    Zerg: Well this is just a complaint in general about the non memorable sounds, but I don't have much of a complaint about the Zerg in general. It's Kerrigan. I don't even want to remember how bad her voice sounds compared to Kerrigan in SC1. Her portrait animations were typical as mentioned earlier, and overall Kerrigan did not leave any impression of me, and if she did it was a bad one.
    Terran: I'm just glad they got Clotworthy back because throughout the campaign I've preferred nearly every original voice to the new one.
    EXCEPTION: The Firebat is the most badass thing I've heard in all the history of the SC universe.
    The marines, they were badass in SC1. Their dialogue showed them as guys who loved to 'wax them critters'. In SC2 the acting is 'okay' but there's no badassery to it. Some parts really fit though, like when the huge Ultralisk was going to rape those marines and if you failed to save them they would say "oh god, game over man, game over."
    The main character voice acting for the Terrans is good, I have no complaints. Tychus Raynor Warfield Valerian, these guys I am perfectly content with.
    Protoss: Blizz must have forgotten how to filter and add effects to their voices because the Protoss voices might as well sound like they're crying compared to SC1. Selendis sounds like a total Biatch. That high templar guy in the Zeratul side missions sounds like a pansy as well. Just compared either of them to the HT in SC1.

    Don't even get me started on the Hybrid's voice. Made me want to smash things.

    The pre rendered cinematics are amazing quality though.

    Conclusion: Mainly, my real complaint with this thread is the lack of polish. Why show us so much effort put into a demo, and set that bar, then make the main game fall way short of it? It's beyond me.
    Last edited by Pandonetho; 07-29-2010 at 06:34 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: My review/opinion of the campaign.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    Alright, so I played the campaign and my overall conclusion is that the gameplay left me pretty content, but the atmosphere of it was largely ruined by other 'lacking' areas that needed much polish.

    First of all, the Protoss review demonstration, the FIRST video that we've ever seen, set the bar for so many neat and good looking aspects of the game.
    When Admiral Gaskerville (or whatever) talked, did you see how much effort was put into making his expressions realistic? He leaned forward, leaned back, furrowed his brow, grit his teeth and even pointed his finger at those hostile Protoss. The model animation was really impressive. Voice acting went along really well with it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwqD138QHmQ
    2:30 mark

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzvx5hsLcbI
    5:35 mark - here is where you see the modeling animation done right

    What's in SC2? Nothing, it's mostly just a bobbling head and lips synced to the lines. Matt horner reuses his animation every time you talk to him (he looks down a bit then snaps back to attention). This is an area that I'm highly disappointed with (although in the Char cinematics it was very well done).

    Secondly, is the lack of transitions in the game's dialogue and the UI.

    Notice how when the Admiral talks, the chat box phases in? It looks so smooth. When the Protoss shows up, his portrait box phases in on the RIGHT side of the screen. This effectively allows for better dialogue animation as well.

    The release version of the game does NEITHER of these. Not only does the Terran portrait box just appear out of thin air (they couldn't even make it slide in?), when characters talk to each other there is always a pause at the end of each speech, before the next character shows up in the box to continue the discussion. This feels extremely disjointed and doesn't flow well. It's just hard to get into the feeling of the discussion when it's done so lazily. No appearance animations, talking bobbleheads with little or no expressions, and dialogue that doesn't run smoothly.

    And Third, is just the voice work. Now this is highly opinionated of course, as many people may feel otherwise so it's more of a personal thing than an objective quality aspect (like the aforementioned issue). Zeratul sounds horrible compared to SC1. His voice actor probably isn't the problem here, I bet it's whoever the hell wrote his lines. Since when did he become so prophetic and pansy like? In SC1 he waxed poetic, but in a strong manner with good vocabulary. In SC2 it just sounds cheesy.

    In another thread someone mentioned all the races in SC2 taking a hit to their badassery. I cannot stress how much I agree with this.

    Zerg: Well this is just a complaint in general about the non memorable sounds, but I don't have much of a complaint about the Zerg in general. It's Kerrigan. I don't even want to remember how bad her voice sounds compared to Kerrigan in SC1. Her portrait animations were typical as mentioned earlier, and overall Kerrigan did not leave any impression of me, and if she did it was a bad one.
    Terran: I'm just glad they got Clotworthy back because throughout the campaign I've preferred nearly every original voice to the new one.
    EXCEPTION: The Firebat is the most badass thing I've heard in all the history of the SC universe.
    The marines, they were badass in SC1. Their dialogue showed them as guys who loved to 'wax them critters'. In SC2 the acting is 'okay' but there's no badassery to it. Some parts really fit though, like when the huge Ultralisk was going to rape those marines and if you failed to save them they would say "oh god, game over man, game over."
    The main character voice acting for the Terrans is good, I have no complaints. Tychus Raynor Warfield Valerian, these guys I am perfectly content with.
    Protoss: Blizz must have forgotten how to filter and add effects to their voices because the Protoss voices might as well sound like they're crying compared to SC1. Selendis sounds like a total Biatch. That high templar guy in the Zeratul side missions sounds like a pansy as well. Just compared either of them to the HT in SC1.

    Don't even get me started on the Hybrid's voice. Made me want to smash things.

    The pre rendered cinematics are amazing quality though.

    Conclusion: Mainly, my real complaint with this thread is the lack of polish. Why show us so much effort put into a demo, and set that bar, then make the main game fall way short of it? It's beyond me.


    Agreed 100%!
    Drink Zealot Powerade!
    Nothing gets your Psionic powers flowing like Zealot Powerade!

  3. #3

    Default Re: My review/opinion of the campaign.

    I understand your complaints but it is almost impossible to animate models so that they have a unique animation for every single line of speech. It would take freaking forever. I actually thought, other than the occasional hiccup in the animation, that the facial animation was very very well done. They got some really impressive expressions out of their models that I haven't seen too often even in big budget games. For example the cutscene where Nova kills Tosh, Horner's expressions were great.

    I do agree with the UI polish complaint though. It did seem kind of clunky with the portraits just popping up on the side of the screen instead of sliding in or something. Also it would have been nice to see one on each side when two characters were talking to each other.

    Overall though, these were very minor complaints in the grand scheme of things.

    Also one thing to keep in mind is that this is pretty much Blizzard's first game that used Facial animation, advanced shaders and realistic shadows.

  4. #4

    Default Re: My review/opinion of the campaign.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0x View Post
    I understand your complaints but it is almost impossible to animate models so that they have a unique animation for every single line of speech. It would take freaking forever. I actually thought, other than the occasional hiccup in the animation, that the facial animation was very very well done. They got some really impressive expressions out of their models that I haven't seen too often even in big budget games. For example the cutscene where Nova kills Tosh, Horner's expressions were great.

    I do agree with the UI polish complaint though. It did seem kind of clunky with the portraits just popping up on the side of the screen instead of sliding in or something. Also it would have been nice to see one on each side when two characters were talking to each other.

    Overall though, these were very minor complaints in the grand scheme of things.

    Also one thing to keep in mind is that this is pretty much Blizzard's first game that used Facial animation, advanced shaders and realistic shadows.
    I honestly think our main complaint is that blizzard told a better story without all of the new fancy stuff. I just wish that blizzard actually used all these AWESOME new techniques to tell an amazing story. Instead we get lame cheesey dialogue that feels so akward and out of place in the starcraft universe. I literally facepalmed when Zeratul says to Tassadar "But, you DIED!" Oh man they really messed this up
    Drink Zealot Powerade!
    Nothing gets your Psionic powers flowing like Zealot Powerade!

  5. #5

    Default Re: My review/opinion of the campaign.

    The only voice acting I felt was weak from was the Protoss. I don't mind the cheesy lines. In fact, I didn't find them cheesy at all. I was expecting lines like that considering the Terrans are like space cowboys.
    Decepticons, transform and rise up!

  6. #6

    Default Re: My review/opinion of the campaign.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZealotPowerade View Post
    I honestly think our main complaint is that blizzard told a better story without all of the new fancy stuff. I just wish that blizzard actually used all these AWESOME new techniques to tell an amazing story. Instead we get lame cheesey dialogue that feels so akward and out of place in the starcraft universe. I literally facepalmed when Zeratul says to Tassadar "But, you DIED!" Oh man they really messed this up
    Not everyone played StarCraft 1. They need to recap some stuff for players who have no idea what is going on. If I had never played StarCraft I would have had no idea what or who Tassadar is, so I sure as hell wouldn't know what had happened to him.

  7. #7

    Default Re: My review/opinion of the campaign.

    Anyone know who Narud's voice actor is? He was good in replicating Duran's accent.
    Decepticons, transform and rise up!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: My review/opinion of the campaign.

    He sounded like the same VA who did Ormus in Diablo 2.

  9. #9

    Default Re: My review/opinion of the campaign.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0x View Post
    Not everyone played StarCraft 1. They need to recap some stuff for players who have no idea what is going on. If I had never played StarCraft I would have had no idea what or who Tassadar is, so I sure as hell wouldn't know what had happened to him.
    The problem isn't recap. The problem is how stupid the lines are. Its poorly written. And since I know someone will say "then u come up with something better.." Okay I will rise to the challenge.

    Zeratul: Tassadar, how (dramatic pause)can this be? You're...
    Tassadar: Dead? No old friend. I reside on a different plane now. But that is a story for another time.


    Conveys the same thing that was said in the campaign but less lame. If it only takes me a few minutes to think that up.. I have to wonder what the hell the blizzard writing team has been spending their time on. The blizzard spit and polish would have been much appreciated when it comes to the dialogue and storytelling. I'm very sad to see this area lacking severely in quality.
    Drink Zealot Powerade!
    Nothing gets your Psionic powers flowing like Zealot Powerade!

  10. #10
    Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,214

    Default Re: My review/opinion of the campaign.

    I'm very sad to see this area lacking severely in quality.
    Agreed. When Zeratul in his first mission met the high templar I was just ITCHING for him to say "Well met..." like he did in SC1.

    But nope.

Similar Threads

  1. What I think happens in the Zeratul mini-campaign + minor campaign speculation
    By Alex06 in forum StarCraft Universe Lore Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 11:54 AM
  2. Avatar...Your Opinion?
    By //MavericK\\ in forum Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 06:43 PM
  3. Other RTS games of 2010 , your opinion?
    By Perfecttear in forum Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 09:07 AM
  4. Buying new pc - spec opinion
    By mgcemir in forum StarCraft II Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 04:16 PM
  5. In my opinion, the right choices were made.
    By sandwich_bird in forum StarCraft II Discussion
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 05-25-2009, 08:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •