Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please, for crying out loud, fix the design on main page and forum

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Please, for crying out loud, fix the design on main page and forum

Quote Originally Posted by LoA View Post
    I too would like to applaud AJ for his hard work here.
    Me three. We owe AJ a big one for all the time he's taken out of his schedule to help us out.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Reminder: The Forum Header is already in fact shorter than what you originally asked for it to be, Gradius.
    My only part in designing the forum header was the suggestion of the image. But at this point I can't really emphasize how much I don't care about the vertical length of the forum header. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Wankey View Post
    Alright well I guess you just have one less visitor then.
    Good. We don't want crybabies here anyway.

<_<

>_>

Besides me, of course.

I actually agree with your suggested change of moving the top navigation bar down the the middle, underneath the header image. Mostly because that top navigation is so irritating to have to use (at least to me). Overall I think it'd suit its purposes better if it were in a more accessible location.

... Something we'll have to think about changing in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Reminder: The Forum Header is already in fact shorter than what you originally asked for it to be, Gradius.

And, no. I think it's silly that you think a brand-new site design, immediately after launching is going to restructure itself to suit your desires. It's been said many times, in many places that the design is about Art not so much as the immediate access to navigation - it's part of the site, and something you have to adjust to if you're going to browse.

It's not going to change, especially on the main site.
    Sorry to bring this up again, but that's a pretty bad attitude to web development.

I've been in this industry for about the last 8 years and making the customer "get used to" the website is not a good thing. It should be a fluid design with many things which are intuitive and very easily discoverable.

Also like to see if we can do something about the speed. Compared to web 2.0 websites, this website is *slow*. Probably a coding error or a redundant server call somewhere.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

I've heard a million people on the net have been "in the industry for x years."

Seriously, you can't please everyone. They change the site to suit your needs, then what? You got x amount of people who are going to cry about the change.

And I'm perfectly fine with the way the site is now. If they change it, I suppose they'll have "one less visitor."

See how it works both ways?

Okay well, I've mocked up a new front page. I understand that the images are not negotiable so I decided to use some better design principles.

Firstly, the most important information in now on the top left rather than right. Most people read from left to right so the first thing they'll see is the left most part of the page.

I've also enlarged SCL's logo and made it much more readable and centered.

Also moved the add news/rss stuff to the middle bar to give the graphic less clutter. Probably should remove the search function since it barely does anything right now.
    Last edited by Wankey; 07-14-2009 at 08:49 AM.

I have just one question or a proposal, when you are posting new news on the main site, could you if posible post just a link to pictures and not post the whole picture, since it takes some time to load the main page for me, when there are multiple news with pictures, or if it is posible to use hide button, so my computer doesn't have to download all the pictures. I now have just a direct link to the forums, since i am to lazy to wait 3-6 seconds, for the main page to completely load :P

That is a problem with the back end coding. Either that or the pictures aren't being compressed very well. If you have a high enough bandwidth, it should load immediately.
    If you go to image heavy sites like engadget/gizmodo, they load instantly whereas SCL freezes for a bit then loads. Obvious coding issue there, probably will take a look.

Maul's Avatar Member

The front page is designed terribly imo. I'm running at 1920x1080 and all I see on the frontpage is the headline of the first news item and about 4 lines of it's body.

You should NEVER have to scroll down on a main page to see important content, it's just a horrid design practice.

Hiya folks. For those of you running Firefox and Adblock, why not just block the images if they annoy you so much? For the more enterprising among you you could even customize the layout via Greasemonkey,

i know, i'm totally late.