Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Computer went for a swim

Default My Computer went for a swim

So I was playing through the campaign earlier today. My roommates left debris and food on the table, so I paused to clear off the table... only for a cup of water to spill onto my laptop.

I was less than pleased. I waited a few minutes, then decided the best course of action was to turn off the computer and let it dry off. A while later, I restarted, only for it to freeze while booting. Restarted again - and simply got a blank screen. Didnt even seem the disk was doing anything.

It was only a small spill; I reacted fast enough so the whole contents didnt spill. Im currently using a roommates Dell mini... which seems to lack apostrophes. Does anyone have experience with lifeguarding computers? Is this fixable? Im gonna be taking it to a nearby computer store for a check up soon, but is there any hope?

I am so pissed. I woulda finished the campaign today were it not for messy roommates. ><

(Now Im stuck in the Off Topic forums until I can find a way to finish the campaign...)
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 07-28-2010 at 11:15 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Default Re: My Computer went for a swim

That's a shame but it should be a lesson to everyone that leaves a mess near their computer, and if your "friends" do that, FORCE them to clean INMEDIATELY and with caution.
    For example, when someone leaves a glass of water in my desk I inmediately order them to move it. Better to face that shame or bad moment than losing your computer.

Dang. That just plain sucks. Anyways, good luck with your computer. But don't stop believing, there is still hope!

Yours Truly,
    SonOfChaos

I beat the campaign while you were struggling...
    It was amazing. I'm sorry that you can't play it

Disconnect, put the battery out, and let it dry while you call support.

Yeah, I did Norfindel. I tried booting uo earlier this morning to a blank screen. Taking it to a service store sometime soon. Thanks though. Just hope the harddrive ain't fried like my roommate suggests.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

If you can get a big pack of new silica gel and a big ziplock bag, it would be a good idea to put the notebook sealed inside the bag with the silica gel. That will absorb the moisture.

If you are taking this to support fast, maybe it's not needed, but cannot hurt, either.

And make sure you STOP TURNING IT ON for a while...
    That's the best way for the problem to get worse.

Just keep it constantly disconnected and unplugged for a while, until you can get an answer from support.

That really sucks, but before you go out and spend a bunch of money to fix it you should try a hardware reset. It's a little button at the bottom of the computer that only a paper clip can fit into. I had spilled water on my laptop once and short circuited it again another time. The hardware reset worked every time. And I would suggest running your PC so it gets hot and all that water can evaporate. Just leaving it there, the water sits and soaks in.

running you pc? So things really short-circuit and you end up with a damaged chip?
    That advice makes zero sense.