Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old units in New Expansions? What?

Scar's Avatar Junior Member

Default Old units in New Expansions? What?

Okay, so I have been thinking.....

Isn't it kind of lame that old units will be used as "expansion units" in SC2 exps? I mean, we have had these units already in SC and BW. Therefore, as most project regarding the lurker, it will have been an expansion unit.....twice?

Don't get me wrong; I want to be able to play with the old units, lurks, goons, DAs - all of them. But if I am going to shell out $60 (or more since I will want the Coll. Ed.) I want NEW units AND the old ones. I don't think that is too much to ask, since old units simply need to be rendered anew. Doesn't have to be many new units, 1-3 is fine, but please don't just recycle old ones and call them new.

Default Re: Old units in New Expansions? What?

Example: Mothership = Arbiter.

I think we'll have a mix. I don't doubt some old broodwar units could come back, like the Lurker. I don't doubt cut SC1 or SC2 units will be in future expansions either.

Valkyrie and Dark Templar were technically cut from SC1, and we know from SC2 development there were many many units that were cut (predator, cobra, soul hunter, star relic, old infestor model)

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Okay, so I have been thinking.....

Isn't it kind of lame that old units will be used as "expansion units" in SC2 exps? I mean, we have had these units already in SC and BW. Therefore, as most project regarding the lurker, it will have been an expansion unit.....twice?
    You have no proof or evidence of this.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

I think a hydra and Muta mutation will come, but will be different units. A bit strange? No, this isn't new for Blizzard.

I don't see how this is a rip off...that's like saying it's a rip off that obi wan was in episodes 1,2, and 3 because he was in 4,5 and 6. XD

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Did I miss an important blue post or is TC just making stuff up?

Rest In Peace, Old Friend.

There were no blue posts. People are just extrapolating the development of SC1 onto SC2. Worse, some people are accusing Blizzard of deliberately holding back good units for the expansion, rather than, say, filling holes in the game that won't even be apparent until months after the game has gone live.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
    There were no blue posts. People are just extrapolating the development of SC1 onto SC2. Worse, some people are accusing Blizzard of deliberately holding back good units for the expansion, rather than, say, filling holes in the game that won't even be apparent until months after the game has gone live.
    This a thousand times over.

If the Lurker comes back -- or any unit receives a promotion from Campaign Fluff to Main Cast -- it will be due to the following:

1. Race X is seen to be unable to deal with a certain strategy.
    2. It seems to be within Campaign Unit Y (of Race X) to deal with said strategy.
    3. Unit Y is promoted to first class, with appropriate stat tweaks.

This being the Terran focused game, and the Terrans being fleshed out so much in the campaigns, I actually wouldn't mind if all expansion melee units came from the campaigns. I mean, why not? Blizzard is telling us: this is the technology Terrans have access to.

Unless the new units serve some sort of plot purposes (all are newly created to fight the Xel'Naga... or... whatever), it actually doesn't make a lot of sense to go out of your way to create completely new stuff. That doesn't mean they wouldn't get updated flashy models, new stats, and new portraits/voices... but I don't think the term "reusing" would apply at all.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7699/commun1.png

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Example: Mothership = Arbiter.
    I would be much happier if only that were true