Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your top five favorite movies of all time

Default Re: Your top five favorite movies of all time

Quote Originally Posted by Nenol-phoenix View Post
    I mean no disrespect, I'm also not a movie type of guy but seriously?
    I agree that the movie had good effects but come on, apart from that it's absolutely terrible, if you have read the book you certainly know that it's possibly one of the worst book-movie adaptations ever, the book has SO much potential and it's all thrown to hell in that movie, and please don't get me started with the sequels...
    I think we can at least both agree that the sequels are a disgrace.

Since I never read the book, the fact that the movie doesn't follow the story doesn't bother me much. Anyways, I'm not sure why I love it so much. I guess part of it is because it's the closest thing we'd ever get to a starcraft movie. The other part is also because I first saw it when I was like 8 in theaters and at that age, you usually like any movie as long as there's bad ass action in it. It might be nostalgia but I still enjoy it.

The original Starship Troopers film was not a faithful adaption of the book by any stretch of the imagination, but it was an alright movie with a rather paint-by-numbers plot. It was good fun in a cheesy, summer popcorn flickish kind of way

Michael Ironside was the best part.

"COME ON YOU APES...DO YOU WANNA' LIVE FOREVER?!!!"

Classic.

Only saw the second sequel and it was truly god awful...I'm not holding out any hope for the third.
    Last edited by //MavericK\\; 07-10-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    I think we can at least both agree that the sequels are a disgrace.

Since I never read the book, the fact that the movie doesn't follow the story doesn't bother me much. Anyways, I'm not sure why I love it so much. I guess part of it is because it's the closest thing we'd ever get to a starcraft movie. The other part is also because I first saw it when I was like 8 in theaters and at that age, you usually like any movie as long as there's bad ass action in it. It might be nostalgia but I still enjoy it.
    XD now I get it, I also watched the movie when I was younger and also liked it quite a lot, but THEN I read the book and when I watched the movie again, I came to loathe it .
    It's really good in terms of effects, but the way the plot was butchered just... hurts my mind
    Maybe it's not as bad as I want to think but still I'd never place it in a top 5

I really recommend you read the book btw

So I thought I'd add to my list with some honorable mentions. All are very good that movies I find myself watching over and over again.

(the whole original series)

(the whole series...except the fourth one)

(the whole series...except the fourth one)

(the whole series)

And very recently added...

Pattison is aweful in the Twilight movies...but in this movie he's not too bad. Even, dare I say it, good. If you haven't seen this movie...you NEED to. Despite looking like a chick-flick...it most certainly isn't. I wont watch this movie over again, though. Its definitely a one-timer.
    Last edited by //MavericK\\; 07-13-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Very difficult to choose but I managed to narrow it down to five, in no particular order (a top fifty list would be more like it)...

in no particular order

- 2001 a space odyssey
    - alien/aliens
    - clockwork orange
    - hot tub time machine
    - transformers (1986 one, not the shitty new ones)
    MAGIKARP USE A SPLASH ATTACK!

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowToeSocks View Post

- transformers (1986 one, not the shitty new ones)
    The animated movie, with Unicron? Man, its been a long time since I saw that. Brings back good childhood memories.

Here is my list and the why I like these movies.

1 - Robin Hood (Russel Crowe's one.)

Yes, I do like Costner's one, including Freeman's best acting in this matter, but Crowe's got it for me. No, it's not the historical connection or the failed realism bull, but rather the soundtrack and the acting. I think the relationship between Robin and Marion here and how it began was my favorite, along with Prince John's acting.

2 - Inception

Now THIS is a movie in which Zimmer really contributed with his soundtrack. Without it, I really doubted Inception, even with it's philosophical and psychological debates and it's plot, would be that good.

3 - Sherlock Holmes (RDJ's)

The new movie had decided: No more of that Watson bullshit, no more ridiculous clothing, no more fancying. Now it was an arrogant Holmes with fighting skills, predilection to get his partner in trouble and solving cases often at the cost of the Inspector's patience. Also, Zimmer did quite a good work with the soundtrack and some one-liners are unforgettable.

4 - Batman Begins

After Schumacher's bullshit done with the two previous movies, I never thought Batman would be able to stand up again. Chris Nolan did it for us all. And for that, I'll always be grateful to him.

5 - Rango
    This is the most incredibly beautiful movie I've seen, the closest being Snyder's Legend of the Guardians, Dreamworks' stuff and Beowulf. Pixar and co. have nothing compared to what these listed have. Also, the comeback to the western legacy left by Clint and John is an honor fans were vying for.
    SC II - HOTS Coming Soon... What to expect? I don't know, I'm busy playing WoL.

I failed a thousand-fold to many enemies, but won a hundred victories over the same enemy. Now he trembles in fear, knowing I am bettering at prevailing. Tremble, enemies of the Code. For I am Legionnaire and you are my enemy. Therefore, today, thou fall! - Imperator Davien Servolo III.

1.- Ed wood
    2.- Stranger than fiction
    3.- Dark Knight
    4.- Friday the 13th part 6
    5.- Sweeney Todd: The demon barber of fleet street