Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: :O Zerg Burrow movement and terrain traveling

Default :O Zerg Burrow movement and terrain traveling

It's been along time since i posted a suggestion topic, but the recent battlereport has me inspired to make one about Zerg terrain traversing units.

There has alredy been in the past alot off debate about the zerg version off terrain traversing unit, going from rolling banelings to cliff jumping roaches. I know that each race has means of transportaion, medivas, overlord , warp prism, nydus cannal, warp in, but this is not the point off this topic and i wan't to talk about independent terrain traversing unit, and exspecially the zerg versions.

Seeing the infestor in br3 moving underground, gave me the idea that there should be an zerg damage dealing unit that, could move unerground while burrowed and that way trawerse cliffs and other obsticals. Not only would this make the most sense but it feels the most zerg.

This ability could be countered by having some observer units around your base, or if you are a terran, building a sensor tower.( basic stuff)
    The ability could be balanced even more if the enemy could see the unit while moving by the terrain disruption it would make, and thus he could be able to predict or counter the attack.

TERRAN
    1) Reaper - jumps up and down cliffs using his jetpacks,
    2) Viking - can overcome cliffs by transforming itself into aerial mode and then back.
    PROTOSS
    1) Stalker - can "blink" up and down cliffs.
    2) Colossus - can simply walk over cliffs and back down.
    ZERG
    1) Infester - (not shure if he can trawerse cliffs while moving underground)

So what i am suggesting is, maybe an early tier zerg unit, capable off moving underground, and by that traversing different terrain an cliffs for harassment purporses, and with similar combat effectiveness as the reapers. The unit that would receive this burrowed movement should be balanced enough so it isn't op, and that it makes lore sense. The most lore sense makes the lurker, but he would be to strong off a unit, and he comes to late to receive this ability, not to mention that in sc2 he is a siege unit and not an harass unit. So this means that the unit that could receive this should be lower tier, be somewhat balanced, and have lore background. That doesn't leave us with much options. Unit that could possibly receive this ability: "Zergling, Roach, Hydralisk, Baneling."

So do you think that any off the current zerg unit could successfully receive this terrain burrow travelsing ability, and would be somewhat balanced and plausible.

If this would be implemented it would change the gameplay and stretegies for the zerg dramaticaly, thuss leaving the zerg race with alot more options and making them a more interesting race to play and to play against.

Fell free to discuss

Capsblock's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: :O Zerg Burrow movement and terrain travelsing

I thought of that aswell i mean some zergling should be able to evovle to something else than the baneling , like a "climbling" or "traversling" ofc it will get nerfed like less HP and/or less DPS. the idea of it all seems cool.we dont know anything about the Worms that works as tunnel , if they can be used in a zerg rush. it would be extremly deadly and yes im gonna say VERY COOL i mean poping up a worm at Terran guy who got all his units on the front in bunkers and then BAM a big fat worm and RAWR!!!!

The Protoss got that dropship thing that can act as pylon-area and is probably the same as the worm.
    Last edited by Capsblock; 06-24-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Maybe have a slow walking unit that has a powerful but slow ground attack? But he can climb up cliffs and down them? But that might be to high tier...

IDK. Maybe zerg just shouldnt have the mechanic? I'm not sure what the balance issues would be but I would think you dont want every race to have the same mechanics that way it keeps it more unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Warsaw View Post
    IDK. Maybe zerg just shouldnt have the mechanic? I'm not sure what the balance issues would be but I would think you dont want every race to have the same mechanics that way it keeps it more unique.
    Idk the burrow mowement would be pretty unique, and would have to be countered in a different way than the other races terrain travelsing units. The zerg could really use a fresh concept and tactic, to use against the enemy.
    The burrow walking makes more sense to me that any other cliff jumping and climbing abilities for the zerg,it's different, and it has it's own downsides and counters. The only trouble is to find a zerg unit could use this ability without being op and making lore sense.And now since the nydus worm has been redesigned and isn't anymore such a good option for an stealth attack, a new concept could be usefuul for the zerg. The best solution would be if Blizzard would make a new unit designed and balanced around this ability. Maybe in the expansions?
    Last edited by Perfecttear; 06-24-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Even if you guys believe the Lurker having this ability is OP.

Its not, being high thier the ability it would posses would be quite balanced with decisions like: wether the ability is reserched or not. Unlike what you sugest, the lurker will not travel underground but rather have the ability to burrow into a wall.

This is the ability.

Wall tuneling: The lurker burrows into a wall with a higher terrain above it. When the lurker finishes to burrow he will appear on the higher terrain (burrowed)

This ability requires no energy but it takes the doble time to burrow or "cliff jump" whatever you like to call it.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Just because the 2 other races have means of traversing different tiers of terrain without transports doesn't mean Zerg should suddenly get one.

I'd actually like to see a unit that can pounce or hop up cliffs, like reapers. Zerglings have wings now, why couldn't there be a new unit with bigger wings that can leap around? Maybe it could be a command ability with a long range, sort of like Blink but with greater distance/cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blade View Post
    Wall tuneling: The lurker burrows into a wall with a higher terrain above it. When the lurker finishes to burrow he will appear on the higher terrain (burrowed)
    I once proposed this for all the Zerg ground units, as a sort of alternative to using Nydus Worm (in the first incantation of the worm).

Though I support diversity, gameplay ideas that can potentially be fun, balanced and competitive creates many possibilities.

Some ideas on the Lurker:
    -Lurker remains at Hive tech.
    -Lurker is permanently invisible until initiating attack.
    -Upon unleashing a wave of spines, the Lurker becomes visible.
    -The Lurker becomes invisible after 3 seconds of idling or not attacking.
    -There is no Burrow icon, only passive invisibility.
    -The Lurker possess a toggle: Ambush and Conceal.
    -When set on Ambush, the Lurker will auto acquire any enemy ground unit or building.
    -When set on Conceal, the Lurker will not auto acquire targets.
    -Conceal does not affect passive invisibility, must wait 3 seconds to become invisible if Lurker has attacked an enemy.
    -Lurker can cliff crawl up and down terrain elevation.

-Psi
    >>You Must Construct Additional Pylons<<

It would be nice if the infestor could move pass the cliffs while burrowed, it would make the unit even more awesome. Go into the enemy base and use neural parasite on some units he made , and use them for harrasment.
    They should atleast allow the infestor to move up and down cliffs if the zerg don't have any other terrain travelsing unit. And the infestor is lategame unit, almost the same as the Colossus . So you can't say it's op:P