Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To block or not to block?

Default To block or not to block?

Should you not always block with terrans seing that they got the supply depots. The only downsides I can se is that your spread out your base and is more open for like reaper or muta/vr attacks. But mutas/vr come into play later. So the only thing I can se for this is a anti reaper.

Or am I just wrong? But to me it seems that you should always block whenever you can with terran.

Default Re: To block or not to block?

Yeah, unless your build is super duper aggressive, you need a wall-in to prevent ling run-by's and to defend more effectively against rushes from roaches, marauder pushes and zealot/stalker pushes. It is kind of like a perma-forcefield for Terran.

Protoss have sentries to do that kind of job while Zerg don't need a wall-in to begin with since speedlings/queens/spine-crawlers defense are extremely effective at stopping any of the above mentioned rushes, including reapers.

I disagree, if I know my opponent is going for a reaper proxy or a 6 pool (or just that gut feeling) - you will not have time to really complete the wall unless you incorporate your barracks.

This is do-able on some maps, but others will leave your Barracks blocked out and unable to create a techlab.

So sometimes I just make a bunker near my CC and depot around it and then wall in when it's safe to proceed to. A reaper rush can destroy a terran if their only defence is a marine and/or a marine+bunker at the front.

DesertRose's Avatar Junior Member

I only wall-in against Zerg because of a fast Zergling attacks and Zergling runbys, against other races I usually build close to my mineral line.
    Supply Depots can not only be used to block ramps, but also to create small gaps inside your base or even completly close gaps; then your opponent has to run around your entire base to attack your army/workers.
    --<-{(@

Oh, my bad... I didn't realize we were talking ONLY supply depot walls...

I think hyde has to reread. I stated that vs reapers it's a downside to block. (thus you can't disagree with me)

And ofcourse were NOT ONLY talking about supply walls...

The time to move your worker to the choke isn't the deciding factor imo... It's the "composition". If you block the choke with turrets and siege tanks you will be vulnerable to nydus canals etc.

lol, I'm confused...

So, based on that, reapers are going to be more effective with a ramp block since you cannot cover two places fast enough. I got that. I don't see why else not to wall-in since any other rush tactic would leave you vulnerable.

You could easily wall off and make temporary bunkers to hold off reaper harass till you have a decent enough force. 2 bunkers at most at key positions that will limit reaper damage, then when he backs off, you salvage a bunker and move out.

Vs nydus worms, I think you would need to keep like 4 rines in your main, OR just scout it (which is harder of course).

Yeah, lets say this: I almost always block the choke with terrans. But I am just trying to se it from both sides, I se alot where it isn't blocked and wanted more to know why.

Quote Originally Posted by protoswarrior View Post
    lol, I'm confused...

So, based on that, reapers are going to be more effective with a ramp block since you cannot cover two places fast enough. I got that. I don't see why else not to wall-in since any other rush tactic would leave you vulnerable.

You could easily wall off and make temporary bunkers to hold off reaper harass till you have a decent enough force. 2 bunkers at most at key positions that will limit reaper damage, then when he backs off, you salvage a bunker and move out.

Vs nydus worms, I think you would need to keep like 4 rines in your main, OR just scout it (which is harder of course).
    Well the main reason people bring up is mining time... travel time. I don't worry about that though, since I'm not good enough to be nitpicking like that.
    I wall-in all the time because I don't find reapers all that threatening if my build is solid, and that wall-in is helpful until you expand.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilice View Post
    I think hyde has to reread. I stated that vs reapers it's a downside to block. (thus you can't disagree with me)

And ofcourse were NOT ONLY talking about supply walls...

The time to move your worker to the choke isn't the deciding factor imo... It's the "composition". If you block the choke with turrets and siege tanks you will be vulnerable to nydus canals etc.
    Ok I forgot to add something, 6 pools.

On 1v1 maps (I've tried this) the timing for you to make a wall to block off a 6pool is cutting it REALLY close. IF you want to make your barracks in time, you need to travel and then construct it ASAP (usually means your SCV is idle'ing).
    It only takes a 5-10 second margin of time gap to let a 6pool destroy you.