Thread: Interest in the BGN Invitational 9

Default Interest in the BGN Invitational 9

Good evening,

During the month of July I will be hosting my ninth Blizzard Gaming Night Invitational Tournament and I would like to make it the biggest and the best tournament of the set. The Blizzard Gaming Night Invitational tournament is a tournament that I have hosted for the members of Blizzard Gaming Night(which is an open gaming channel for players of all skill levels in op bgn). You can get an idea of what we did for the last tournament by checking out: http://www.swoopzone.net/bgninv8

I am looking at hosting this particular tournament during the month of July, likely beginning on July 5th. However, the purpose of this particular thread is for me to gauge interest from the SC:L populace and also to figure out which nights will be best for the players who are participating. Normally, I have done this over the course of a series of Sunday's. However, this was more necessitated by school and work. These sorts of schedules do change over the summer.

So what I'm asking for is pretty simple. First off, if you're interested let me know. It's basically a 1v1 tournament that is "casually competitive." Second off, let me know what sorts of dates and times would work best for you. Lastly, if you have any suggestions for the map pool as well, let me know that.

I'll be finalizing my own thoughts over the next couple of days but I want to see if I'm wasting my time or not by bringing it to the attention of SC:L.

Thanks a lot!

Default Re: Interest in the BGN Invitational 9

I'm up for it but you say it's a night tournament... what time zone is that in? I'm GMT+2 (because of summer time right now). That means it would be a monday "early morning" tournament in europe.
    Also, where will this be taking place? Will there be "lan latency" modules?

Keep us posted : ). I'll definitely be there if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
    I'm up for it but you say it's a night tournament... what time zone is that in? I'm GMT+2 (because of summer time right now). That means it would be a monday "early morning" tournament in europe.
    Also, where will this be taking place? Will there be "lan latency" modules?

Keep us posted : ). I'll definitely be there if I can.
    We've traditionally done a 3:00 PM EST Sunday(which amounts to about 9:00 PM in Germany, as a point of reference). In terms of the "lan latency" modules, we'll see based upon the players and the ability to actually go that route. We have had a couple of Mac players in the past which is the reason why I've been a bit cautious about making that a 100% requirement.

One time minimum will be Euro friendly, I promise that.

Sounds good : )

What time zone is that? For example: i'm on GMT-3, that's easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel View Post
    What time zone is that? For example: i'm on GMT-3, that's easier to use.
    Just add an hour. So that would be 4:00 PM for you in Argentina. EST(or Eastern Standard Time) is GMT-4.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking at for the schedule, here is what I was thinking:

Sunday, July 5th - Group 1 @ 3:00 PM EST
    Sunday, July 5th - Group 2 @ 7:00 PM EST
    Thursday, July 9th - Groups 3 and 4 @ 9:00 PM EST
    Sunday, July 12th - Sunday Group Final @ 3:00 PM EST
    Thursday, July 16th - Thursday Group Final @ 9:00 PM EST
    Sunday, July 19th - Combined Final Group @ 3:00 PM EST
    Championship Series TBD by Finalists

I don't mind changing Thursday to another day during the week if it would work better for more people.
    Last edited by SpaceDominator; 06-24-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Do you think it would be too complicated to try and suggest two possible dates for some of the games? (starting "group finals" for example). Just wondering how much that more work that would involve.
    Also, depending on who's interested, you'll probably lose all european players by making stuff start at 9PM EST. If it's mostly a tournament for EST (or nearby) time zones, that problem is irrelevent though^^
    Also, I'd be more than willing to help out with the organisational aspect. If you need any help with anything (like obsing some games, or maybe even doing some commentary (though I have zero experience), I'm definitely up for that). I think that having some sort of coverage would make this pretty interesting for more people than just the players.

I see where your concerns lie Hammy. If you check out the BGN Invitational 8 rules set that I listed above in the first post, you'll kind of get an idea of the format of the tournament. Basically each group consists of 4 players and they will be competing in what amounts to a double elimination tournament with a single game to determine second place. These group matches have traditionally lasted around 2-3 hours, maybe a little more depending. The idea is that this works out really well when you have the 4 players all there at the same time.

I have it set up right now for our "European" players to compete in primarily Group 1. Of course if we actually had enough interest we could adjust the schedule to make both of the first groups on that Sunday start at 3:00 PM EST, while make Thursday set up for the more standard public here in the USA area. That I would have no problem with. Perhaps we could even make a Noon Start if it's that big of a deal. This is why I wanted to gauge the interest from the standard public to see if those sorts of adjustments would actually be necessary.

In terms of the organizational aspect. We have broadcast 7 of the 8 finals live and have had a lot of fun doing it when there has been interest. We've done them primarily through Teamspeak but we've also been experimenting with doing a live mogulus stream. Of course it depends a lot on the number of people we have actually interested..

Hope that helps alleviate some of your concerns.