Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Forget about copying Games Workshop, Blizzard's just hiring their designers

Default Re: Forget about copying Games Workshop, Blizzard's just hiring their designers

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenArbiter View Post
    Seems pretty pointless to argue about people "stealing" designs - everyone is inspired by something. Blizzard has obviously drawn a lot of inspiration from Warhammer, Games Workshop has obviously drawn a lot of inspiration from a plethora of other sources.

Everyone does it, doesn't make you an "untalented hack"...

Anyway, I saw Andy Chambers name mentioned, and while this is probably common knowledge, I thought I'd mention that he too works for Blizzard now.

Oh and as for that comment about 40k designs being a "facists wet dream" - that's the entire point.. The humans in 40k are xenophobic, fanatically religious, facist, superhuman nutjobs (for the most part).
    Thats why I love their humans.

But also I know about all the past history between warcraft and warhammer but anyone know the percise details things went the way they went? Was gamesworkshop now happy with the way the game was being made or what? Or is that included in the link above im to lazy to read. :P

Default Re: Forget about copying Games Workshop, Blizzard's just hiring their designers

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    Don't know what I'm talking about? Try http://dimortuisunt.wordpress.com/20...-and-warcraft/
    You know. I've seen this rumor going around way too often. In fact, I was extremely hopeful for that there was evidence supporting this, so that I could finally end the doubts I have for it. But like every other espouser of the rumor, there is absolutely no evidence.

Perhaps maybe an interview from an ex-Blizzard employee or a copy of the contractual agreement, but nothing whatsoever. It is just merely another guy repeating the same 'facts' that he heard probably from a strident Warhammer fanboy (not in a derogatory sense) friend or on numerous forums. Internet is the largest distributor of rumors.

All I'm saying is, there is 100% zero evidence supporting WarCraft: Orcs & Humans originally being slated as a Warhammer game. It is absolutely just a rumor. How you take a rumor is up to you. Just know what it is.

Capsblock's Avatar Junior Member

Good to know , used to be warhammer nerd myself

Capsblock's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kacaier View Post
    You know. I've seen this rumor going around way too often. In fact, I was extremely hopeful for that there was evidence supporting this, so that I could finally end the doubts I have for it. But like every other espouser of the rumor, there is absolutely no evidence.

Perhaps maybe an interview from an ex-Blizzard employee or a copy of the contractual agreement, but nothing whatsoever. It is just merely another guy repeating the same 'facts' that he heard probably from a strident Warhammer fanboy (not in a derogatory sense) friend or on numerous forums. Internet is the largest distributor of rumors.

All I'm saying is, there is 100% zero evidence supporting WarCraft: Orcs & Humans originally being slated as a Warhammer game. It is absolutely just a rumor. How you take a rumor is up to you. Just know what it is.
    I read somewhere maybe just a rumor but Games workshop did invent the green ork ( its ork with k in warhammer universe ) and a friend of mine told me that Games workshop did contact some company to make a game out of their Boardgame but they denied , that company was blizzard and then 2 years later they released orcs and humans...

Quote Originally Posted by Capsblock View Post
    I read somewhere maybe just a rumor but Games workshop did invent the green ork ( its ork with k in warhammer universe ) and a friend of mine told me that Games workshop did contact some company to make a game out of their Boardgame but they denied , that company was blizzard and then 2 years later they released orcs and humans...
    Isn't that exactly what I outlined? You get this notion from:
    A) Warhammer fanboy friend
    B) Some forum (ergo read somewhere)

You just exactly outlined the two points of reference. Again, no substantiation and entirely just a rumor. Why yes, you did say 'maybe just a rumor', but by continually repeating it propagates it even further. There is no evidence, period.

I don't think anyone will EVER find ANY evidence. Because there is no link. Yes, Blizzard was inspired. Again, as others point out, Games Workshop was inspired by other sources (to the point of stealing, like Blizzard). Every time someone brings up 'Games Workshop also steals', people either agree and go, "yeah, it's the nature of SciFi" or people ignore it and gain parrot the same thing before that enlightenment.

Those who say Blizzard stole off Games Workshop tend to forget that they didn't originate the ideas themselves (Tolkien did a fair bit for fantasy, Heinlein for Sci-fi).

Rizhall's Avatar Junior Member

I think everyone should already know by now that Halo invented all forms of Space Marines.

But seriously, which SC artworks has the former Games Workshop artist done?
    Are you down-right fierce? You Dan Straight you are. Join the Street Fighter Community!

Quote Originally Posted by MattII View Post
    Those who say Blizzard stole off Games Workshop tend to forget that they didn't originate the ideas themselves (Tolkien did a fair bit for fantasy, Heinlein for Sci-fi).
    Yeah. Almost everyones stolen something from someone else.