Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

Maul's Avatar Member

Default Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

The objective of Risk: Bel'shir is to capture and defend territories while your enemies fight to do the same, with the victor claiming all the territories. Risk: Bel'shir is segregated into six different regions, with each region connected to at least one other. The more capture points a region has the harder it is to defend, but greater reward.

The more territories you have the more income you'll receive to spend on units or upgrades. Capture an entire region to receive bonus units.

Right now I've got all the template for the capture conditions made and just need to put them in place. Capturing each capture point involves placing a unit in the dirt circle around each capture point, while no enemies occupy that same space, different to WC3 and other versions where you need to kill a lone defender unit which you then replace with a unit of your own. This in my eyes is a better system as it gives you more flexibility to use your full army while leaving individual bases unoccupied, however making that capture point more vulnerable.

The map design isn't finished yet, I still need to balance each region and also finish prettying it up.

I'll continue to update details and screenshots as the development progresses but won't upload the completed map until phase two of the beta begins, as my triggers at this point are unique and don't want to give others a chance to "steal" the functionality just yet as has happened with other map developer's maps.

Please leave feedback on the map design and anything you'd like to see.
    I really need to change this...
    Check out my maps: Maul's Spirial Turret Defense and Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

Default Re: Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

Interesting idea. 2 questions:

1. Is it turn-based or real-time?
    2. Is there fog of war or is it full visibility?

I think making it turn-based and removing fog of war would help create a 'board game'-type of feel. On the other hand, fog of war does provide strategic value.

Also, some idea for units (I'm assuming they'll be Protoss):

1. Zealot: Basic melee fighter. Cost of 1.0
    2. Stalker: Ranged fighter able to Blink to the position of any Zealot; allowing for quick reinforcement. Costs 2.5 but has the stats of 1.5 - 2.0 Zealots.
    3. Archon: Shield-heavy tank able to cast Feedback to instantly kill one enemy unit. Costs 5.0 but has the stats of 2.5 - 3.5 Zealots.

Note: Costs are ratios relative to the price of a Zealot.

Finally, I think there should be a reward for controlling a whole continent. This will likely come in the form of an increased ability to build more reinforcements. Or, perhaps special 'powers' such as Black Hole, etc.
    Last edited by mr. peasant; 06-11-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Maul's Avatar Member

It will be real time and more than likely have no fog of war although I'd like to implement a way where there is one but only for a small period, ie a cheap upgrade a few minutes in to remove it.

Right now I've got the units as Marine (1 min), Zergling (5 mins), Tank (10 mins), and Viking (25 mins). I'm considering giving blink to Zerglings as they're the main harassment unit but I'll see how it turns out.

And you definitely do get rewards for owning a whole continent in the form of bonus units each round (which will last about every 40 seconds or so.)

Maul's Avatar Member

Latest map layout

TBH right now it sounds like the SC1 versions of Risk I played. Which are good, but this doesn't sound like it is taking advantage of SC2's different system.

One thing I think you could do is allow the construction of specialized units if a player commands a specific territory, but only at that territory. Like, one territory lets you build Immortals, another gives you Zealots, one gives you Marauders, etc. Cost and specific units would be balanced of course. You can also change up the terrain a bit, get more levels in, destructible rocks and line of sight blockers could also add some new strategy elements.
    Last edited by Drake Clawfang; 06-12-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    SC2 handle - "DrakeyC, code 929"

I ARE A PROPHET! I've predicted three major aspects of SC2 correct, more or less.

June 2007 - I predicted the Protoss campaign would give you new tech as you conducted diplomacy among tribes.

Hidden Content:
    July 18th 2010 - I predicted Raynor would broadcast information of Mengsk's actions on Tarsonis to discredit him and incite rebellion.

Hidden Content:
    June 16th 2010 I predicted the Voice in the Darkness was the commanding force behind the Hybrids. I'm calling it half-right.

Maul's Avatar Member

I definitely have thrown in a bunch of things you could only do with SC2 and a lot of them I'm not revealing at this stage. While I'm trying to stay as true to the SC1 versions as much as I can while including some new ideas I'm against throwing features into the map just because I can.

Maul's Avatar Member

I finally have a working version ready to be tested. While made for multi-player only, it's still possible to play around with the units to get a feel for an actual game. If you're interested in testing the map in the single-player state and would preferably give feedback, please PM me.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Ehhhh, loooookin' guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud!

I'd be glad to beta test when beta's back up.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Man risk is fun but I suck so bad at the game it's not even funny lol.

Looks nice! If it gets in top list like your previous map, you'll get Papa Gradius very proud XD

But seriously, can't wait for 2nd beta phase to play/test it or just until retail