Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think players tha play certain races share common traits?

Default Re: Do you think players tha play certain races share common traits?

^
    not only that... but we kick arse with ninja and half-naked cyborgs in tubes...

terrans like to sit in their base with 20 tanks and make games into 2 hour snore-fests..

I play Protoss because I'm most familiar with them and their ability to instantaneously transport units anywhere on the map. Moreover, the viability of hit-and-run tactics, courtesy of fast-regen shields, makes my day. That sort of versatility and response is very appealing to me.

That said, I'm a disorganized player and person overall, so I find that while versatile, the Terran requires too much micro and parallel thinking/multitasking to make an efficient war machine.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Habit of constructing Pylons? =D
    "Summer break.
    Nuff said
    Midnight lunch? Eh maybe"
    Noctis

"The war's been fought off our shores for too long... now we shall bring the battle home!! xD"
    broodmywarcraft

Fascinating...I think besides gameplay, there is a visual identification with each race. Some people just enjoy gooey creatures, maybe hardcore sci fi lovers enjoy being in the skin of an ancient, ultra technologic race as the protoss and some people, like me, just like the rebel and tough history of humanity expanding to the space.

I study psichology, so I think there are some personalities features that may influence in your choice
    Heheheeey, I need some strong coffee.

get your own starcraft 2 signature at sc2sig.com

Quote Originally Posted by StrongCoffee View Post
    Fascinating...I think besides gameplay, there is a visual identification with each race. Some people just enjoy gooey creatures, maybe hardcore sci fi lovers enjoy being in the skin of an ancient, ultra technologic race as the protoss and some people, like me, just like the rebel and tough history of humanity expanding to the space.

I study psichology, so I think there are some personalities features that may influence in your choice
    that could be true... though i cannot completely agree...
    i am a nature-freak and a tree hugger...
    so i would naturally go for the race completely consisting of biological units, right...? which i don't... for reasons of i simply find protoss cool... and sort of ridiculous in so many ways... they nourish from sunlight...? awesome...
    though i will agree that i shun the terrans basically because they're humans...
    also i find protoss the most fun to use...and watch

Protoss players are abnormally honest because they don't cheat games.

I actually have had an extensive amount of thought/discussion about this with my friends. What I lean towards is:

Protoss players tend to be uncomfortable with Macro, and like to micromanage their smaller group of elite units. This is also why in SCBW they are considered the "beginners" race. (This one is fairly well known.) I have an add on thought: I think of all players, Protoss players desire aesthetics the most. I think lore buffs and artists tend to migrate towards the Protoss more because of their aesthetically pleasing, smooth style.

Zerg players love winning. I have noticed (and mind you this is from a decade of playing) that players who feel the person with the fastest hands, the strongest mechanics, and the most money should always win the game tend to play Zerg. They tend to be very focused and robotic. With a few exceptions at the very highest levels (July, Jaedong), Zerg players tend to get flustered when the game takes an unexpected turn. Players like Idra and Artosis are prime examples of this tendency: they both moved to Zerg for SC2 from other races in order to be rewarded for their superior mechanics.
    Personality wise, people who pick Zerg based on their aesthetics alone tend to be fans of horror films, rock music, tatoos, and other such rebellious interests. (Again, this is from 10-12 examples throughout my life.) They like "monsters". I must re emphasize, however, that the majority of Zerg players are picking such because of their gameplay style, not their personality traits.

Terran players like to be in invincible situations. They like to establish map control, get everything they want need, and be happy and comfortable knowing "my opponent literally cannot win now". This is personified by the mechanic of the Siege Tank, the staple Terran unit. In SC2 I feel little has changed in this regard.

Personality wise, Terran players tend to be analytical. They like numbers, and they like good, solid foundations. They don't see strong defense as an unfortunate waste of money, but a key to establishing dominance. They like for their wins to be the result of their opponents mistakes, rather than their sheer will imposing itself. From an aesthetic standpoint, they enjoy things like Star Trek and Starship Troopers, things that example what humanity could one day be. They like big blocky metal, grit, and they like to project themselves into the roles of the characters they are playing, thus easily relating to the humans. They also tend to have an affinity for Westerns.

I dunno, im just freewriting.

Quote Originally Posted by senervo View Post
    that could be true... though i cannot completely agree...
    i am a nature-freak and a tree hugger...
    so i would naturally go for the race completely consisting of biological units, right...? which i don't... for reasons of i simply find protoss cool... and sort of ridiculous in so many ways... they nourish from sunlight...? awesome...
    though i will agree that i shun the terrans basically because they're humans...
    also i find protoss the most fun to use...and watch
    I, dont worry...it was a rough theory crafting...Im a tree huger too, but I dont really enjoy the zerg... The "cool factor" has the protagonism here, in my not so humble opinion

Quote Originally Posted by SaharaDrac View Post
    I actually have had an extensive amount of thought/discussion about this with my friends. What I lean towards is:

Protoss players tend to be uncomfortable with Macro, and like to micromanage their smaller group of elite units. This is also why in SCBW they are considered the "beginners" race. (This one is fairly well known.) I have an add on thought: I think of all players, Protoss players desire aesthetics the most. I think lore buffs and artists tend to migrate towards the Protoss more because of their aesthetically pleasing, smooth style.

Zerg players love winning. I have noticed (and mind you this is from a decade of playing) that players who feel the person with the fastest hands, the strongest mechanics, and the most money should always win the game tend to play Zerg. They tend to be very focused and robotic. With a few exceptions at the very highest levels (July, Jaedong), Zerg players tend to get flustered when the game takes an unexpected turn. Players like Idra and Artosis are prime examples of this tendency: they both moved to Zerg for SC2 from other races in order to be rewarded for their superior mechanics.
    Personality wise, people who pick Zerg based on their aesthetics alone tend to be fans of horror films, rock music, tatoos, and other such rebellious interests. (Again, this is from 10-12 examples throughout my life.) They like "monsters". I must re emphasize, however, that the majority of Zerg players are picking such because of their gameplay style, not their personality traits.

Terran players like to be in invincible situations. They like to establish map control, get everything they want need, and be happy and comfortable knowing "my opponent literally cannot win now". This is personified by the mechanic of the Siege Tank, the staple Terran unit. In SC2 I feel little has changed in this regard.

Personality wise, Terran players tend to be analytical. They like numbers, and they like good, solid foundations. They don't see strong defense as an unfortunate waste of money, but a key to establishing dominance. They like for their wins to be the result of their opponents mistakes, rather than their sheer will imposing itself. From an aesthetic standpoint, they enjoy things like Star Trek and Starship Troopers, things that example what humanity could one day be. They like big blocky metal, grit, and they like to project themselves into the roles of the characters they are playing, thus easily relating to the humans. They also tend to have an affinity for Westerns.

I dunno, im just freewriting.
    I agree with several of those....maybe whe should make a compilation of race/personality traits/tastes
    Last edited by StrongCoffee; 06-09-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    Heheheeey, I need some strong coffee.

get your own starcraft 2 signature at sc2sig.com

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

So basically this thread is about throwing around arbitrary generalizations?

Quote Originally Posted by SaharaDrac View Post
    I think it's micro Protoss players are uncomfortable with, not macro. Less but more powerful units = easier micro. There's nothing about Protoss that makes macro easier, sc1 or sc2. While it is true that there are protoss players out there who like to be hyper aggressive (mainly new players), there are many who like to beast it up with multiple expansions. I personally enjoy things like waiting for Chrono Boost to count up and optimizing other parts of my resource/base management.

They don't see strong defense as an unfortunate waste of money, but a key to establishing dominance.
    Probably because their bunkers are 100% refundable. :P