Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another good protoss counter to tanks?

ChopSuey's Avatar Junior Member

Default Another good protoss counter to tanks?

Now I know that immortals are a good counter to them but would it be good to add phoenixes as long as they dont have too many marines or thors?

Default Re: Another good protoss counter to tanks?

Question. Can a Phoenix pick up a tank? If so I'd love that. Zealots and Phoenix?

Quote Originally Posted by Warsaw View Post
    Question. Can a Phoenix pick up a tank? If so I'd love that. Zealots and Phoenix?
    Yes they can, even when they are in siege mode, it's such a good feeling lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ChopSuey View Post
    Yes they can, even when they are in siege mode, it's such a good feeling lol.
    That was the one thing I wanted to try before beta ended, but I just never got on to try it. Hahaha. I would love to pwn some Terran like that. Then make a mother ship and pwn him with that. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Warsaw View Post
    That was the one thing I wanted to try before beta ended, but I just never got on to try it. Hahaha. I would love to pwn some Terran like that. Then make a mother ship and pwn him with that. Haha.
    I don't think I've ever seen a mothership in a 1v1 game.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Blinking over to tanks also works if you can catch them by themselves. Against mech I go Stalker/Immortal - blink right into the army which lets my immortals get into firing range (normally the problem with immortals is they stagger around your other units trying to get in range while a terran just focuses them down).

Quote Originally Posted by ChopSuey View Post
    Now I know that immortals are a good counter to them but would it be good to add phoenixes as long as they dont have too many marines or thors?
    As long as you get right in the Terran army's face, you'll actually want him to waste shots on your Phoenix so that your damage-dealing ground army stays alive longer.

Yeah, Gradius nailed it. I most often combine Immortals and Colossi (with range) to take out tanks while zealot/stalkers engage infantry or hellions protecting the tanks. Having like 3 Immortals and 2 Colossi reams tanks and Thors to no end. Even if there are Vikings, your zealots go in to deal with infantry, your stalkers focus down the vikings while Immortals tank the tank shots and Colossi just eat everything else for dinner. Esp once you get 3+ Colossi.

Phoenix are extremely good vs mech as well, but you need an arm and a half to micro those guys since they are extremely fragile. I find the Phoenix to be such an awesome unit in the Protoss arsenal, but they're a bitch to micro lol.
    Last edited by protoswarrior; 06-09-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo

I've once annihilated Thor/Tank army with Dark/Immortals. =D
    "Summer break.
    Nuff said
    Midnight lunch? Eh maybe"
    Noctis

"The war's been fought off our shores for too long... now we shall bring the battle home!! xD"
    broodmywarcraft

Incidentally, Day9 put up an interesting video demonstrating Phoenix use against Tanks:

http://day9tv.blip.tv/file/3716106/

Keep in mind that like Day9 says, the Phoenix isn't necessarily a hard counter to Tanks. The Phoenix's effectiveness can still be quite situational (and dependent on quite a bit of finesse), but it appears to be a viable option that the Protoss can at least consider.

How to kill a tank:
    Step 1: Get some air units
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: Profit!

If you are going ground army, note that Psi Storm does 80 damage to everything. Sieged tanks can't micro.