Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Obelisk -vs- Orbital Command

Default Re: Obelisk -vs- Orbital Command

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    According to who? Zerglings die in droves. If there is any Zerg unit that's truely worth its cost, its the Hydralisk.
    True, but they're also very, very cheap considering how much damage they can deal. Yeah, Hydralisks too.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    Roach regen is powerful, but they do abysmal DPS. They are tanks, not powerhouses.
    Precisely. They're fairly resilient and hard to kill. Therefore, balance-wise, you don't need as many as say, Stalkers, to harass the enemy and disrupt their economy.

Quote Originally Posted by SaharaDrac View Post
    It boils down to this: you and the squid fella are just spouting off at the mouth on subjects you have no hands-on experience with. I get the feeling that you guys are those people that only play ONE smash brothers stage, with no items on, because the chaos creates "imbalances". Your ideal Starcraft 2 map is an open field, with no terrain features, perfectly mirrored.
    I have plenty of hands on with SC. I've been playing as long as you. But where you chose to delve into competitive play and become an elitist poser, I look at the game from a general, logical view. Its only when the logic and math doesn't add up that I cry foul, because it can be quantified.

And yeah, my ideal Starcraft 2 map is an open field, with few Terrain features, perfectly mirrored. Because it is only under those circumstances that the balance (or imbalance) is obvious. Its the same reason SSB Melee and Brawl are competitively played on flat surfaces - to give each side equal opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    Precisely. They're fairly resilient and hard to kill. Therefore, balance-wise, you don't need as many as say, Stalkers, to harass the enemy and disrupt their economy.
    But Stalkers also cost more, and are most effective using Blink when its upgraded, just like Roaches are more effective using Burrow once upgraded.

It's not that simple. If one race needs more expansions, that needs to be compensated somehow, because that means more vulnerability (more so in SC2, with cliff-climbers), and expanding isn't free, either.

About Zerglings, they have huge damage output per cost. You can't have everything in the same unit, so they have not too much HP, and you need something to take damage for them. Roaches + Zerglings should do very well.
    Last edited by Norfindel; 06-24-2009 at 07:30 AM.

Capsblock's Avatar Junior Member

1 Queen per hatchery , he had 2 in his base and 2 expansions in BR 3 so , 2+2 = 4 but he lost some didnt he?
    just like the guy above me said , its rare that you win by spamming 1 unit , you scout and see what counter he is building and then you spam so that counter will practicly die , i mean if you see stalkers , go for Zerglings
    Last edited by Capsblock; 06-24-2009 at 07:35 AM.

Blizzard will never make the races exactly the same. Therefore, the maps will never be irrelivant.

See that is really what starcraft is all about. Balance through imbalances. If your looking for something else your not going to find it here. Nicol, Demo, I think you guys might want to try WC2. Oh wait bloodlust. darn.
    Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 06-24-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    Psi Storm sucks because there is no real reason not to do it every X seconds.
    no its not on an interval. you may use psi storm 1 minute like 5 times, then not it use for like 10 minutes before having to using once. then not using it for like another 5 before casting 3 more. etc etc. proton charge is gonna be cast the moment energy allows you to. there is no real choice.

the results are also different. sometimes psi storm may kill a shit load of units. sometimes it might not. depending on the circumstances. 15 proton charged probes on the other hand will always give you the same amount of minerals. but 3 high templars may kill like 20 units or 5.
    Last edited by warrior6; 06-24-2009 at 11:14 AM.

It does NOT have perfect graphics. It does NOT have perfect online support.
    So what you want isn't SC2; it's SC1 with new graphics and netcode.

Islands maps aren't fun.
    That's because the SC1 air combat model is broken. Island maps would be fun if air combat worked like it was supposed to.

You're making my point for me.

get the feeling that you guys are those people that only play ONE smash brothers stage, with no items on, because the chaos creates "imbalances". Your ideal Starcraft 2 map is an open field, with no terrain features, perfectly mirrored.
    Wrong on both counts.

I don't have an ideal StarCraft 2 map. I just want many map possibilities to be available and viable, unlike what we have in SC1. I want there to be variations in natural expansions, numbers of main base entrances, size of those entrances, etc.

This is far from an open field with no terrain features. I have also spoken out against mirrored maps, as I would like to see them try to make a balanced, asymmetric map.

As for SSBB, I believe that the random factors of the game should be amortized by playing lots of games, rather than just turning them off. Random factors will be approximately even if you're playing 30 separate games with players. Proper competitive play for SSBB should involve playing something like a Proleague match, where you determine a list of stages, pick characters, and then fight with 4 stocks per game. And then do that as a best-of-3. You might even try Winner's League format, where the character who wins gets to move to the next game, but the losing team gets to select a character that may snipe that one.

Sure, this would make SSBB matches take 20-30 minutes or longer. But it'd play to SSBB's strengths, rather than trying to turn it into Street Fighter or something, where you try to master a single character. This emphasizes mastery of the game as a whole.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Psi Storm sucks because there is no real reason not to do it every X seconds.
    Except psi storm takes actual important hand eye coordination to get the most kills out of one as possible.

The main issue I see here is that proton charge is too powerful because 1) it just does too much for as easy as it is to access or 2) there is never a reason not to use it (when the cooldown is up).

So I have an idea, you can nerf the bonus it gives to collection slightly. But also provide the obelisk with an ability that would likely be used in a match. Here is the set up: Protoss have the most expensive units, their units are very strong individually compared to single units from other races. It is likely then that the protoss will have fewer units on the battle field. Therefore if the protoss loses a unit it hurts them badly, more so than another race.

Therefore, give the Obelisk the ability to save units who have gotten themselves into a bad situation. Give the Obelisk an ability to recall units back to the obelisk, very similar to a scroll of town portal, but the ability is activated from a building, not a hero.

Hopefully no one else posted an idea like this, if so Im sorry to repeat, but Im not reading 21 pages of posts:-p

Quote Originally Posted by medium View Post
    So I have an idea, you can nerf the bonus it gives to collection slightly.
    Again nerfing an ability youve never played with... for all we know it could need to be buffed.
    Quote Originally Posted by medium View Post
    But also provide the obelisk with an ability that would likely be used in a match. Here is the set up: Protoss have the most expensive units, their units are very strong individually compared to single units from other races. It is likely then that the protoss will have fewer units on the battle field. Therefore if the protoss loses a unit it hurts them badly, more so than another race.

Therefore, give the Obelisk the ability to save units who have gotten themselves into a bad situation. Give the Obelisk an ability to recall units back to the obelisk, very similar to a scroll of town portal, but the ability is activated from a building, not a hero.

Hopefully no one else posted an idea like this, if so Im sorry to repeat, but Im not reading 21 pages of posts:-p
    Already suggested but im glad we are thinking on the same wavelength.