Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How is a person supposed to fit into a CMC suit?

Default Re: How is a person supposed to fit into a CMC suit?

For the sake of argument, I photoshopped a 5 time worlds strongest man into tychus' armor.

I did this based on where his head should be in the armor, and given that per the description the suit adds up to a foot to their total height. For reference, he has comparable stats to Tychus Findlay (well over 6 feet, 330+ lbs). If anything, Tychus exceeds his measurements.

There's no way he'd fit in the shoulders or hips. You can see that even with his arms out (they aren't even at his sides) and and his legs apart, hes still way shy of the suits dimensions. If his arms were not out and at his sides, it would be even more obvious. The armpit of the CMC suit hits him above his rotator cuff, and there is no head room to move up at all. I do think it's funny that the midsection is too skinny for this guys torso - his lats spill right over the exterior. basically the shoulders are way too high, the torso is way too short, but hey, his knees and elbows line up

I know it's like "wtf is this guy on??", but I'm just curious if anyone else has made the same observation.
    Last edited by Biffer; 05-27-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Sarov's Avatar The Enforcer

Rule of Cool.

I think that anything that is partially or completely aesthetic and makes no to little sense can usually be explained by that rule. It's all about the appearance. At least where the Rule of Cool is being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffer View Post
    For the sake of argument, I photoshopped a 5 time worlds strongest man into tychus' armor.

I did this based on where his head should be in the armor, and given that per the description the suit adds up to a foot to their total height. For reference, he has comparable stats to Tychus Findlay (well over 6 feet, 330+ lbs). If anything, Tychus exceeds his measurements.

There's no way he'd fit in the shoulders or hips. You can see that even with his arms out (they aren't even at his sides) and and his legs apart, hes still way shy of the suits dimensions. If his arms were not out and at his sides, it would be even more obvious. The armpit of the CMC suit hits him above his rotator cuff, and there is no head room to move up at all. I do think it's funny that the midsection is too skinny for this guys torso - his lats spill right over the exterior. basically the shoulders are way too high, the torso is way too short, but hey, his knees and elbows line up

I know it's like "wtf is this guy on??", but I'm just curious if anyone else has made the same observation.
    Move his feet up. The feet on the marine suit are purely mechanical.

/fixed

Also that picture you have is not the latest canon of the marine armor, it is from 2004 SC:ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by newcomplex View Post
    Move his feet up. The feet on the marine suit are purely mechanical.

/fixed.
    That's not true. See the SCII teaser. Findlay puts his feet in the "shoe" part of the suit. And I agree with the shoulders having to be too far from the body in order to make the suit work.

Thing is that after the whole "Warcraftification" of Star Craft. The Marine's suit has been changed designwise so bad compared to how it would realistically fit, that it's just rule of cool now.

It think that bad, not because rule of cool is a bad exception, but because the original starcraft look, has been compromised a lot in order to combine it with the (I guess) more popular Warcraft design.

We've been over this discussion before, especially in the CMC suit discrepancy thread. But it's always nice to have new imputs on the design vs. physics/reality/lore/w/e.

I think the photoshop picture just proves where Findlay's suit is wrong. He has too short legs and too narrow shoulders to fit properly into the suit, and even if he could fit, it would be in such a position where he wouldn't relax in his body and eventually die from this strain due to the fact he's locked up inside.

To sum it all up, I think the most realistic suit version is the SC1 cinematic one, where the feet clearly aren't in the "shoe" of the suit, and where the armor is narrow enough to encompass the shoulders.

The least realistic one to me would be the SC:Ghost one, due to the fact it's so wide.

And if we're discussing other types of suits, the Marauder/Firebat suit takes the price for really being impossible to fit in, and also showing the least amount of SC Design integrity over the most "sucking up" to the Warcraft style, it clearly shows...
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Sarov View Post
    Rule of Cool.

I think that anything that is partially or completely aesthetic and makes no to little sense can usually be explained by that rule. It's all about the appearance. At least where the Rule of Cool is being used.
    Sarov, I think you are on the money - best response yet. I suppose there is no practicality. It does look damn cool. I'll lay it to rest....

Quote Originally Posted by Biffer View Post
    Sarov, I think you are on the money - best response yet. I suppose there is no practicality. It does look damn cool. I'll lay it to rest....
    No need to lay it to rest. There are a lot of aspects to discuss.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -

Well this is a cool pic for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfecttear View Post
    Well this is a cool pic for this thread.

This picture really shows how unrealistic the suit is, even though you do your best to hide it. Look at how long his leg is compared to where his hips are. And also note that even though the shoulders seem to fit well, the arms are long, very, very long.

The only way to explain why they can fit in the suit is if they're genetically modified to have longer arms and legs, which actually would be pretty logical in a space environment. (Even though the most logical thing in a no-gravity situation is replacing feet with hands...)
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -

Quote Originally Posted by BusinessMonkey View Post
    This picture really shows how unrealistic the suit is, even though you do your best to hide it. Look at how long his leg is compared to where his hips are. And also note that even though the shoulders seem to fit well, the arms are long, very, very long.

The only way to explain why they can fit in the suit is if they're genetically modified to have longer arms and legs, which actually would be pretty logical in a space environment. (Even though the most logical thing in a no-gravity situation is replacing feet with hands...)
    Yeah, the pic is definitely skewed. The leg that they show exposed is ridiculously thin, and he still would have to have wide "birthing" hips - most men's inner thighs touch. his head is also way to small for his body. I think it's interesting his body looks like a 50's style superman.

Some friends of mine were arguing evolution in the human body, and a fantasy setting. But keep in mind, this isn't Azeroth. This is the milky way(per the lore) in 500 years, which isn't that far away. So it's not magical, and it's also way too short of a time to "evolve" into a suit. Besides, rather than evolve a person to fit a suit, may as well make the suit fit the person.

Quote Originally Posted by BusinessMonkey View Post
    And if we're discussing other types of suits, the Marauder/Firebat suit takes the price for really being impossible to fit in, and also showing the least amount of SC Design integrity over the most "sucking up" to the Warcraft style, it clearly shows...
    No one really knows how a Marauder/Firebat suit works to actually say it's impossible. I'm quite certain that Blizzard envisions it to be different than the basic marine suit.

As seen in this picture, there are apparently suits sitting around like vehicles (such as the siege tank in the background). We have yet to see random marine suits sitting around, most likely positing that they are assembled like Tychus's, or at the very least not considered a vehicle.

With thus, I speculate that they are not assembled or put on like an infantry suit, but the top can opens up allowing for a "pilot" to slip in. As shown once where the Marauders top opened up to show the pilot inside (SCII Beta portrait), we can clearly see there's no way he's going to fit his arms and legs in the suit. Most likely then, it probably works like a Gear from Heavy Gear or any other mech/exosuit, where it's piloted instead of like an exoskeleton.