Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: SC2 drops, closed thread

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default SC2 drops, closed thread

    Feel free to delete this, but I'm not sure why you closed my thread so fast. I think what I was saying was misunderstood and my question definitely wasn't answered. But also, why close the thread at all? Its been a couple hours?

    I'm saying that I don't think it is patch 13, its too intermittent. There's a lot of other patch 13 bugs, but not the lag. It seems to be either server side or just the net code needs to be rewritten. If I'm right, it will probably delay the release of the game at least a month, assuming they fix it.

  2. #2

    Default Re: SC2 drops, closed thread

    It was patch 13, they changed the network type from TCP to UDP among other things. They closed the thread because there have literally been dozens of threads discussing it.

  3. #3
    Maul's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,218

    Default Re: SC2 drops, closed thread

    If you want to know why your thread got closed the best way to do so is to send a mod a PM. They are quite friendly usually
    I really need to change this...
    Check out my maps: Maul's Spirial Turret Defense and Maul's Risk: Bel'shir

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: SC2 drops, closed thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    It was patch 13, they changed the network type from TCP to UDP among other things. They closed the thread because there have literally been dozens of threads discussing it.
    Not a single blue has even acknowledged that there is a lag problem. Changing the network type as the cause is just speculation, just like what I'm saying here.

    As I read, they added UDP in addition to TCP in order to improve lag issues that were already cropping up.

    Patch 13 coincides with a batch of beta invites for the last week before they end the first phase of the beta. The only reason to do this is to stress test the server.

    The battle.net server for SC2 has been written to handle way more than it should, presumably to force players to always have to login and play through the server. I think this is for commercial reasons.
    Last edited by peterius; 05-26-2010 at 03:00 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: SC2 drops, closed thread

    You're in a beta, they don't expect a solid customer experience. They expect you to test it. They're testing new things with the service before release, this is what happens, grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I want my name in bright yellow, to represent "Forum Douchebag."

  6. #6

    Default Re: SC2 drops, closed thread

    Quote Originally Posted by peterius View Post
    Not a single blue has even acknowledged that there is a lag problem. Changing the network type as the cause is just speculation, just like what I'm saying here.

    As I read, they added UDP in addition to TCP in order to improve lag issues that were already cropping up.

    Patch 13 coincides with a batch of beta invites for the last week before they end the first phase of the beta. The only reason to do this is to stress test the server.

    The battle.net server for SC2 has been written to handle way more than it should, presumably to force players to always have to login and play through the server. I think this is for commercial reasons.
    There have been a number of blue posts, their servers are unstable right now. Thats it.
    http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...00&pageNo=1#19

    Found that one on like page 1 of tech support, also note that I said "among other things". Due to the way bnet is set up, it is entirely on their end.

    If you were right that it is not patch 13, then the lag wouldve been happening in the previous 12 patches. It wasnt. It is a server issue, they are working on it and they know about it. They may be optimizing code/databases or doing a number of other things, but it is being worked on. That is all that can really be said.

    Regardless of that though, ANOTHER thread about this issue wasnt necessary which is why it was closed.

  7. #7

    Default Re: SC2 drops, closed thread

    chances are the thread was deleted because there was 3 others on or around the exact same topic within the same page of the forum.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: SC2 drops, closed thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamshank View Post
    You're in a beta, they don't expect a solid customer experience. They expect you to test it. They're testing new things with the service before release, this is what happens, grow up.
    No, I'm saying Blizzard's management has messed with the development of the game and the lag is the result of that.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    There have been a number of blue posts, their servers are unstable right now. Thats it.
    http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...00&pageNo=1#19

    Found that one on like page 1 of tech support, also note that I said "among other things". Due to the way bnet is set up, it is entirely on their end.
    That's one of the few mentions of the lag, and its not listed in known issues. Additionally, what he says there proves my point: that its not related to switching to UDP.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    If you were right that it is not patch 13, then the lag wouldve been happening in the previous 12 patches. It wasnt. It is a server issue, they are working on it and they know about it. They may be optimizing code/databases or doing a number of other things, but it is being worked on. That is all that can really be said.
    No, again, what I said earlier was that there was a new batch of beta invites to stress test the server. The server could have handled the load in the previous 12 patches because there were fewer beta testers.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Regardless of that though, ANOTHER thread about this issue wasnt necessary which is why it was closed.
    All the other threads simply say that there is some lag and "when are they going to fix it".

    I'm saying that the lag is indirectly caused by Blizzard's management wanting to make more money on subscriptions.

    I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence of that yet and so this is a definite possibility. I'm pissed and I think you should be too. I think we should all be pissed that Blizzard has crippled their own game in order to make more money.

  9. #9

    Default Re: SC2 drops, closed thread

    What a joke. Another "Blizzard are greedy fucks who's out steal my every penny". We've had enough of your kind around here.
    Decepticons, transform and rise up!

  10. #10

    Default Re: SC2 drops, closed thread

    Quote Originally Posted by peterius View Post
    That's one of the few mentions of the lag, and its not listed in known issues. Additionally, what he says there proves my point: that its not related to switching to UDP.
    Where does it say its not related to opening up UDP options? All it says is that opening the right UDP ports wont change anything since their servers arent working right.


    No, again, what I said earlier was that there was a new batch of beta invites to stress test the server. The server could have handled the load in the previous 12 patches because there were fewer beta testers.
    I would say "ok" to this, but there wasnt a tremendously huge wave of people that joined. Right now there are 22k people online playing almost 7k games. Prior to patch 13 there were numbers similar to that at this time of day. There may be more, but not THAT much more (I also havent seen any word on a new wave of beta invites, so I am not sure where you get that info).



    All the other threads simply say that there is some lag and "when are they going to fix it".
    This thread relates to the lag issue, the other threads are about the lag issue, therefore they are on the same topic and belong in the same thread.

    I'm saying that the lag is indirectly caused by Blizzard's management wanting to make more money on subscriptions.
    What? This doesnt even make sense. Subscriptions are only in play for a very select few countries where people are more likely to pirate and not be able to afford the full $60 version, so they have 2 versions available (one full price and one discounted with a subscription).

    I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence of that yet and so this is a definite possibility. I'm pissed and I think you should be too. I think we should all be pissed that Blizzard has crippled their own game in order to make more money.[/QUOTE]

    They didnt cripple their own game, the fact that you THINK they did is ludicrous. Having an unstable beta would HURT any sales not help.

Similar Threads

  1. SC2 drops, lag, stuttering
    By peterius in forum StarCraft II Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 09:59 PM
  2. Drops shouldn't count as losses!
    By moosh in forum StarCraft II Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 03:10 PM
  3. Activision stock drops amid fears of Starcraft 2 delay
    By Kaiser in forum StarCraft II Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •