Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purity of Form and Purity of Essence - What are they exactly?

Default Purity of Form and Purity of Essence - What are they exactly?

So, we've all been thinking...What exactly is Purity of Form and Purity of Essence...We have tried finding good explanations, but I don't recall personally seeing a deep, well-thought out explanation, so I thought I'd give my idea on what those 2 are exactly.

Protoss - Purity of Form
    Protoss have purity of form because what makes them Protoss is their form. They don't have an essence that makes them Protoss. Remove a few important features, and Protoss are no longer Protoss (EG: Gestalt Zero). They have no real need to "adapt" to an environment, as they can live in pretty much any environment possible, due to their form. Protoss can exist on an individual level, they are a type of creature, even though they are interconnected by the Khala. You can classify a Protoss as a Protoss just by looking at one. That is what Purity of Form is. Each individual is pure. Which is why Dark Templar can also be considered Protoss and have Purity of Form, even if they do not have the Khala. Khala is only a "limited" form of Purity of Essence, which is why the Protoss are not Xel'Naga.

Zerg - Purity of Essence
    Zerg have purity of essence because what makes them Zerg is an essence of sort. In that sense, Terrans can be Zerg if they gain what makes a Zerg, well, a Zerg. Part of the DNA of a Zerg creature is what makes it a Zerg. So a Zerg can be many things, and vice-versa. Zerg aren't a specific type of creature, they are a classification for types of creatures. Zerg can't be classified if you take a look at only one specimen (like a Zergling). You have to observe different Zerg creatures (Larvae, Hatchery, Overlord, Queen, Mutalisk, Zergling, etc.), to conclude what "Zerg" is. That is what Purity of Essence is. The entirety of the Zerg, when they are together, are pure.

Xel'Naga - Both
    Xel'Naga have both purities in that sense. Why? They are a classification (essence(; Xel'Naga, which is created by a cycle, and only the 2 purities make a Xel'Naga a Xel'Naga, not 2 specific species. Thus all Xel'Naga would look the same but look different. All different Xel'Naga species are different from one another (meaning the last Xel'Naga, that created the Protoss and Zerg, was not like the one of the previous cycle, yet they are still the same, Xel'Naga). Xel'Naga are also a form; They are the ultimate form of life, they are extremely intelligent and are also in no need to adapt to anything. Thus, their classification makes them Xel'Naga, no specific individual is more Xel'Naga than another, but each individual exists on the individual and connected basis. (Not just the Khala, they understand what makes a Xel'Naga tick and what makes other races tick)

Hybrids - Also both
    Hybrids are different from the Xel'Naga, because their purities may exist, but they are not genetically perfect for merging with one another. Simply merging their DNAs would not result in a true Xel'Naga because they might not retain several things. A Hybrid would not be beautiful, have its genes dictate its overall look, and it would not be able to be linked with other Hybrids as it will have both violence and understanding, unless there is something like the Overmind have for the Zerg to link them. (Voice in the Darkness, anyone?) (I'm not sure exactly about the Hybrids though, I'll need more time to think about it, because I can see already many arguments against what I've just said)

As for Terrans, they could become Xel'Naga, but they have to gain the 2 purities first. A human could actually still look human and be a Xel'Naga. We've seen Jake Rhamsey's brain evolve, and small genetic changes that do not change the overall look of a Terran could seem plausible, and Terrans can gain Zerg DNA. I think that's where the Terrans come in. They are the compatible host for both purities. They have something in their DNA that allows the other two to merge, which is what Duran would've left out in his Hybrids.

EDIT: I think the problem with the hybrids could be that they are modified Protoss, (if they are...) and so, there is no more Purity of Form...
    I've read this topic:
    http://sclegacy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3535
    Which talks about this, too, and it made me think a little...

The Overmind and Kerrigan could have Purity of Form. But the thing is, Kerrigan also has Zerg DNA...But she doesn't act as a "Collective", she acts by herself, she is Kerrigan, not the will of the Swarm, whereas the Overmind was (he says so himself), but also wasn't (he refers to himself as "I" and says he commands you and the other Zerg, and has conversations with Cerebrates and Kerrigan).
    Last edited by Alex06; 05-24-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Kudos to Arkceangel for the Terran avatar and sig!

Default Re: Purity of Form and Purity of Essence - What are they exactly?

From what the manual says I gathered that Purity of Form refers to the specific biological form of the Protoss species. The individual Protoss was one of the strongest, fastest and most intelligent creatures that the Xel'Naga found. The Protoss are a perfect species, in a sense.

Purity of Essence seems to be adaptability. The Xel'Naga stopped looking for the perfect singular species when it came to their biological form, and instead started looking for a race that as a whole could adapt and evolve to meet the demands of the environment.
    Last edited by l33telboi; 05-24-2010 at 03:12 PM.

This was discussed before, but i think that purity of essence is basically how unified are the race's individuals. After all, the Xel'Naga abandoned the Protoss when they lost their communal link, and the tribes separated from each other. I think that the Xel'Naga thinked they found a race that could became perfect in form and essence, but when they discovered they failed at the essence part, they went to make the perfect essence race to merge both of them, and create the perfect race they need.

Think about it: the Zerg respond to one mind, while the Protoss had many linked minds.

Quote Originally Posted by l33telboi View Post
    From what the manual says I gathered that Purity of Form refers to the specific biological form of the Protoss species. The individual Protoss was one of the strongest, fastest and most intelligent creatures that the Xel'Naga found. The Protoss are a perfect species, in a sense.

Purity of Essence seems to be adaptability. The Xel'Naga stopped looking for the perfect singular species when it came to their biological form, and instead started looking for a race that as a whole could adapt and evolve to meet the demands of the environment.
    The Protoss are spot-on with what's up there, but the Zerg...hmm...

Wikipedia says :
    "This method of assimilation means that there is no distinctly typical Zerg; rather, many different strains and breeds of Zerg, each based on the original core genus."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_of_StarCraft

I think that the capacity to assimilate is not the Purity of Essence itself, but rather a result or cause of it. (In the case of the Zerg it would be the result of it) Adaptability is also along the line of that. The Zerg's adaptability and diversity causes them to be Zerg in Essence and not in the individual.

What I put in bold is what I think Purity of Essence really is. We've always looked for direct, seemingly scientific explanations, but I think that the 2 purities are more "metaphorical" rather than directly scientific. Purities are not a science from the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel View Post
    This was discussed before, but i think that purity of essence is basically how unified are the race's individuals. After all, the Xel'Naga abandoned the Protoss when they lost their communal link, and the tribes separated from each other. I think that the Xel'Naga thinked they found a race that could became perfect in form and essence, but when they discovered they failed at the essence part, they went to make the perfect essence race to merge both of them, and create the perfect race they need.

Think about it: the Zerg respond to one mind, while the Protoss had many linked minds.
    The problem with this explanation is that the Protoss (At least the Khalai Protoss), are linked, and that would mean they have the Purity of Essence or are achieving it. In that sense, there is no need for the Zerg, as the Protoss are getting there already. So why merge them, and why does Zamara (Especially since she has the memories of MANY Protoss) say that Protoss only have one Purity and that the cycle is that the two purities have to merge, when in fact only the Protoss by themselves could reach it with enough time?

Perhaps that Duran also thinks this way, that only adding to a Protoss, or tweaking its Khalai capacities and adding Zerg DNA would make it Xel'Naga, when in fact the two need to merge in some way.
    Last edited by Alex06; 05-24-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Kudos to Arkceangel for the Terran avatar and sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex06 View Post
    The problem with this explanation is that the Protoss (At least the Khalai Protoss), are linked, and that would mean they have the Purity of Essence or are achieving it. In that sense, there is no need for the Zerg, as the Protoss are getting there already. So why merge them, and why does Zamara (Especially since she has the memories of MANY Protoss) say that Protoss only have one Purity and that the cycle is that the two purities have to merge, when in fact only the Protoss by themselves could reach it with enough time?

Perhaps that Duran also thinks this way, that only adding to a Protoss, or tweaking its Khalai capacities and adding Zerg DNA would make it Xel'Naga, when in fact the two need to merge in some way.
    Ah, but remember how the minds of the tribe that was going to become the Dark Templars was so different than a crystal given to them by the Xel'Naga had different characteristics than the other crystal given to the other tribe? What if the purity of essence lies within the energies used by the Dark Templar, which just happend to be the same than the Zerg use? That could mean that a Twilight Protoss would reach purity of essence and form. It would certainly be an EPIC ending for Legacy of the Void.
    Last edited by Norfindel; 05-24-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex06 View Post
    The problem with this explanation is that the Protoss (At least the Khalai Protoss), are linked, and that would mean they have the Purity of Essence or are achieving it.
    However, last the xel'naga knew, the protoss lost it. Even if they've regained their purity of essence, the xel'naga are either gone or asleep and simply don't know this.

And assuming the protoss do have purity of essence again, it may take some time before they can evolve far enough. Furthermore, the new generation of xel'naga might have needed guidance from the old one (either direct, or learning through artifacts). The xel'naga never got to this point, due to being eaten by the zerg.

In that sense, there is no need for the Zerg, as the Protoss are getting there already. So why merge them,
    Just my opinion, but I think the xel'naga felt there was no need for another race once they discovered the protoss, but upon the start of the Aeon of Strife they decided to find another race with purity of essence.

and why does Zamara (Especially since she has the memories of MANY Protoss) say that Protoss only have one Purity and that the cycle is that the two purities have to merge, when in fact only the Protoss by themselves could reach it with enough time?
    Because she has the memories of protoss, not xel'naga themselves. She can't know everything. (Of course, you could probably say the same thing about Samir Duran.)
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Right, but it's an imperfect bond that requires crystals to maintain. Thats part of the whole storyline, the Xel Naga prior to the Aeon of Strive sought to achieve both the purity of form AND purity of essence on the protoss. However, the protosses psionic link, while potent, wasn't quite a singularity of conscious. Eventually, the species, while far more communal then humans, was still didn't suffice by the Xel Naga's standards. Each tribe still pursued its own interests, and each individual often would act selfishly. Disapointed, the Xel Naga left, and as they predicted, the Aeon of Strife happened. (Further prooving the imperfection of the Khala)

Then they found the Zerg, which had a Hive mine, thus fulfilling a pure singular consciousness.

However, last the xel'naga knew, the protoss lost it
    I was under the impression that while close, they just never had it?

Quote Originally Posted by newcomplex View Post
    I was under the impression that while close, they just never had it?
    No, the manual said the protoss actually had purity of essence by xel'naga standards. (Whether they were right is anyone's guess, but I'd think they knew what they were doing.)

The Khala might be the same thing, or (as the Dark Templar put it) a pathetic imitation.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

I thought the whole Purity of Essence was a joke reference to Dr. Strangelove. ;P

Nah. Nice way of putting it Alex. I really think you got it covered there. No real need to think of other things. Especially nicely covered the Terran role in this whole idea of what the hell the Xel'Naga are up to.

Maybe a more detailed idea of how Kerrigan specifically can fit in the picture of purities as a Terran/Zerg mixture, can be very interesting to try to enlight.
    - "Man is Matter" -
    Joseph Heller - Catch 22

- "Marines are Goo" -
    BusinessMonkey - SC:Legacy

It means nonsense.
    Waiting...

The damned will return...