Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visions of VoK

Default Visions of VoK

Christian is an art student residing in Rochester, NY. Or maybe Tenessee. Perhaps North Carolina? It's quite hard to tell, we need to put a tracking device on him. He is know for his presentations of medical illustration exhibits, and is able to convey complex concepts to the lay public or professionals via imagery and writing.

When not evading the general public, he may be found illustrating for freelance (he draws pretty pictures, though you may need to modify you definition of the word "pretty"); reading and writing; honing an interest in mixed martial arts; supporting the Invisible Children Organization; or fawning over cats.

Technique and Approach

As an artist, he resides somewhere in limbo; his grasp of traditional wet media is lacking, yet the majority of his digital works fall just short of expectations. Christian works primarily in photoshop and accompanying adobe products, though conte crayons and oil pastels are pretty nice, too.

Style

Varies, from content and subject matter to individual approach. Generally some permutation of slightly idealized realism; a gentle hand and great deal of detail goes into everything. One day, he ultimately aspires to be just like Equiliari.

Sections

Medical Illustration
    As a medical illustration student, a fair amount of his products will fall under this category.

Done for a medical legal class, demonstrating damage to the fetal brachial plexus during dificult childbirth.

A deep brain implant ad.

Dystocia
    A fan of gothic fantasy, Christian takes every opportunity he gets to generate fantastic and gruesome creatures and landscapes.

For a Warhammer Fantasy commission. Part of a deck of cards for quick spell reference. A Yellow Wizard displays his mastery over Metal.

For a Warhammer Fantasy commission. Part of a deck of cards for quick spell reference. A Druchii summons forth the soul of a deceased warrior.

For a Warhammer Fantasy commission. Part of a deck of cards for quick spell reference. A Tomb King coordinates its armies in battle.

Sketchography
    He likes pencils.

Assorted aliens and beasties.

WiP-gift for a friend. Part of a collection of pictures depicting my friends' DnD characters. This is a Soul Blade.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 05-19-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

Sarov's Avatar The Enforcer

Default Re: Visions of VoK

While it seems that not many people are interested in the art of our members, from the amount of people that post in the artists' threads, I do however remain interested in art. Both mine and of others. And so I have a small review for you:

I absolutely envy you. Your coloring and sketching ability is countless times more impressive than mine. Even your inking ability is far greater than mine.

Anyways, I love the monster/alien in the first image sketch - the one with the mandibles and long arms. It has a very interesting facial structure, unlike many of the creatures I see nowadays. The picture of the head in the left of the bottom picture is very interesting. A very different take on mandibles/jaws and that makes it truly great.

Out of the colored pictures, my favorite has to be the one of the Tomb King. It seems simple but the pose of the Tomb King is great as is the amount of detail on the army - just enough that you can tell what the creatures look like. The colors of the picture and part of the garb of the Tomb Kind - heck, as well as the name Tomb King - make it seem Egyptian and I love Egypt. It would have inspired me to try drawing an Egyptian themed picture if it weren't for several facts which aren't worth mentioning.

Thanks a lot, it means a lot, Sarov. But, though I hate to be trite, this shit takes practice... and practice... and nerve-fraying, exhausting, hard-core-patience practice... >_<

Some of these pictures took many hours to complete. Of the sketches: the mandible monster was a blend between a hydralisk, squid and the Cloverfield monster. It was pretty fun to draw; I remember drawing it a few years back while my literature professor droned at me during class.

I need to work on the Tomb King a bit more. Some details are missing.

The cards are all reduced to about 3.5 x 3 inches.

I'd love to see your own Egyptian work. I love egyptian art and architecture and aesthetic styles.

Anyways, here is another painting I did some months ago. Another card commission, depicting the Wizards of Metal from Warhammer Fantasy.

Last edited by Visions of Khas; 05-19-2010 at 11:58 PM.
    Aaand sold.

Sarov's Avatar The Enforcer

I know but even with all the years of practice, I haven't gotten any better. I guess I don't have the patience or the will anymore.

I thought I saw some hydralisk influence in the monster.

Eh, I don't draw anymore really. I gave up a year or two ago and I haven't really done anything since.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions of Khas View Post

A deep brain implant ad.
    Ouch...this thing looks painful. It probably isn't though, since the brain has no pain sensitive receptors or nerves. But still...yikes.

By the way...on all of your work shown above...one word:

WOW!!!

Especially that Wizards of Metal dude.
    Last edited by //MavericK\\; 05-20-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Another random goodie. Been working on a few idle StarCraft projects. This here was inspired by the Xel'Naga Energy Creatures. I also have some Xel'Naga sketches I'll be posting later.

Anyway, I just downloaded software for this scanner and haven't yet got the hang of it. I also need to get a copy of photoshop so I can edit it properly without resorting to going to campus to do all that...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...in/pheonix.jpg

EDIT
    Ehh, Naga concept art.
    Last edited by Visions of Khas; 06-20-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    Aaand sold.

I really like your detailed interpretation of the Xel'Naga's head, given that all we have to work with are a couple crumpled statues here and a couple temple carvings there. ^____________^

I think the pheonix creature shouldn't have literal angel wings, and look more like a squid, as it was suggested to look like. As for the Xel'Naga...It looks quite a lot like a Protoss...In any case, it all looks nice anyways!
    Last edited by Alex06; 06-21-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Kudos to Arkceangel for the Terran avatar and sig!

I'm working on a few other concepts for the 'Naga, with varying degrees of artistic license.

Yeah, I envisioned the creatures as being almost squid-like in appearance; a creature with this large, sail-like membrane, from which projects numerous diaphanous extrusions and appendages.
    Aaand sold.

A work in progress. A satyr fucks some shit up.

I didn't realize it when I did it, but I apparently emulated the style of Tommy Lee Edwards when I did this.

Aaand sold.