I think a fundamental problem with the void ray as a unit is that it can attack both air and ground targets, with virtually no penalties to its charge up system when switching from a ground target to an air target and vice versa. Unless the target can run far enough away quickly enough, which is made even more difficult when the void ray has its speed upgrade.
I believe this is why we are seeing so much VR massing. Even a well balanced, mixed force has a hard time countering a ball of these things.
I will admit that I am bias a bit, as I am a Terran player, but my next race after them is Protoss, so I want Protoss to be as well balanced a race as possible. What I fear is happening is that the VRs are fast becoming the Carriers of SCI. Mass up 10 or 12 and stomp your opponent. I don't like one-dimensional armies nor do I like facing them. It gets boring.
In an earlier thread, I proposed a solution to this problem. Take away the Void Ray's ability to target air units. Make its attack air to ground only. I can provide five sound reasons for doing this:
1. This change will stop or limit to some degree the Mass Void Ray attack.
2. It will force the Protoss player to provide VRs with air cover in the form of Stalkers and Phoenixes.
3. The Protoss Carrier will now have more value in the mid-to-late game. I feel like the VR and the carrier are stepping on each others toes a bit right now. This is why people are forsaking the carrier, I think. Why use it, when you have a cheaper more efficient version in the VR?
4. The Phoenix will have even more value as a defensive unit. It all ready can dog-fight with the latest patch. Let's make it even more needed.
5. This change will create more resource tension for the Protoss player. i.e Void Rays require escorts to be effective, so can my economy support this investment?
Just an idea. What do you all think?
Good Idea? Bad Idea? Not sure?
And please say why you think so.