Thread: Zealot rush

Default Zealot rush

Anyone else tried this? It's worked well for me on small maps in PvP. Otherwise it's pretty much too slow for anything but some harass, my build is as follows:

9/pylon/gateway (you get 150 minerals second the pylon finishes)
    11/pylon (chronoboost 2 probes)
    13/zealot/2nd gateway (chronoboost next two probes, and zealot)

Pump and Chrono and you can pretty much over run most other protoss players, including some wall-ins (admittedly bad ones). Excess minerals will be plentiful, if you have good enough micro you can keep pumping probes and tech up to stalkers and sentrys. I mostly spend mine on probes and pylons.

Mostly I'm wondering if this is effective at higher leagues, I'm only in bronze (#1 in my division though) so I don't know if it would get owned or what higher up, it seems like an equalizer to me, there's a limited amount of variation that can happen to affect the outcome in under 5 minute games.

Replay #1: I realized my opponent was going for a similar tactic, so I went into overhaul and overwhelmed him before he could tech up, which I anticipated him doing.

Replay #2: Crappy wall-in rage quits, just for kicks.
    Last edited by Roland; 05-04-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    "Youíre an idiot, babe
    Itís a wonder that you still know how to breathe"
    -Robert Zimmerman

Starcraft Lore Timeline and Mysteries.

Default Re: Zealot rush

WIthout looking, I can tell you that it can be easily scouted and blocked with a tech build. He just has to build a couple of zealots to prevent your's from breaking through and as soon as sentry is out, you're pushed out and he can just mass more sentry and FF u forever till more reinforcements just solidify the ramp and you're WAAY behind in tech. Esp PvP.

okie, having watched the replays, your opponents did two stupid things:

1. he 1 pyloned his choke................. obviously the enemy is going to aim for that 1 pylon, and than ur screwed :P

2. he didnt get core or gas, etc, to atleast get a sentry. he could have had atleast 1 zealot and 1 sentry by the time u arrived at his choke, and that should have been enough as he was pumping zealots, keeping you out, and teching inside his base. and as u kept sending zealot after zealot, eventually, he would be one-shotting them, and you'de be way behind in tech when he pushed out

also...in both games, he didnt scout u, nor did u scout him. this would not fly in upper leagues
    "look at the pretty mushroom clowds..." ~ gifted

"please, spade and neuter your pets....or else i'll nuke you!" ~ gifted

"My Wife For Hire!" "uhh dude its my life for aiur" "ahh.....makes more sense..."

Banned

Scouting prevents that from happening in PvP, but, nevertheless, Zealot rush is the way to go if you see that your opponent makes crucial mistakes at the start, like terran not blocking, protoss going for forge, zerg... something.

Zealot rush is cool. Zealot's are cool guys afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatus View Post
    Zealot rush is cool. Zealot's are cool guys afterall.
    i liek zealots. their cool guy who kills zerg and doesnt afraid of anything.
    Last edited by Sietsh-Tenk; 05-06-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Moar awesome.

What's that quote from? It's in someone's sig at SC2armory...

Also, I had a game where I zealot rushed a silver (I think) Zerg player and managed to bring down they're fast expand (because I scouted it) which totally won me the game 10 minutes later.

Watching the HDH invitational a ton of the Protoss players rushed zealots and just poked around they're enemies a little bit, while teching up, which is what I'm trying to learn how to do.
    "Youíre an idiot, babe
    -Robert Zimmerman

I hate Zealot rushers. I never do it as a matter of honor. And I've got a pretty solid BO to punish it. Until he gets Void Rays >_<

Said the self-proclaimed forum douche-bag? This is like having Satan call you way too evil.

I've graduated to playing higher level player now though, and it doesn't work as well, I have to keep my base running full on and just use it as harass if it's to be worthwhile.
    "Youíre an idiot, babe
    -Robert Zimmerman

Banned

Roland, http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Pretty_cool_guy

Demo, Honor and winning doesn't hold hands I used to think same way, that rushes are really lame, but in SC2 it's not that hard at all to counter them, so only thing that can be blamed for losing to rush is the losing player himself for not scouting/preparing for the worst. Like Protoss player not making a wall to choke when playing against Zerg and Protoss.

So when you get rushed, learn from it.