Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU Speed

Codean386's Avatar Junior Member

Default CPU Speed

Stupid question but im not sure lol...How do I increase my CPU speed?

Default Re: CPU Speed

If you arent sure how to do it, it is probably better to not do it. You can pretty easily fry your processor.

Codean386's Avatar Junior Member

I dunno when I was dl'n SC2 it said my CPU speed might be too low to make big battles/armies run smoothly...just tryin to find out

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    If you arent sure how to do it, it is probably better to not do it. You can pretty easily fry your processor.
    Fry it would be on the lucky end of things, you can blow a hole in the side of your computer if you dont know what the fuck you are doing.

The best and safest way is to just buy a faster CPU. You can try to overclock it but that comes at a risk since to do so you have to make it run beyond safe limits for the CPU and usually causes much higher temperatures that could melt your CPU if you don't have enough cooling. Sometimes even cooling will not prevent it.

I don't think you could blow a hole in the side of your computer but you could damage other vital components in it.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSky View Post

I don't think you could blow a hole in the side of your computer but you could damage other vital components in it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSALep8QZ84

I present this for your consideration, sure they are trying to overheating it but it still blows hole on the fucking table sooo....yeah I could see some one not know what the hell they are doing pulling it off.

EvilGenius's Avatar Junior Member

aww, c'mon he's not going to blow up his cpu with a SMALL increase - FSB increases are the easiest way to overclock - a lot of computers will have an option in the bios.

how well a processor overclocks varies, but generally if you've got a desktop with a decent heatsink, a 10% increase wouldn't kill anything.

*The video mentioned earlier was supposedly a fake. This is what actually happens to a dying cpu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQG1Lr1DmZk

I've never seen a CPU explode without a heatsink on it... and i've worked on a lot of motherboards
    Last edited by EvilGenius; 05-02-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
    aww, c'mon he's not going to blow up his cpu with a SMALL increase - FSB increases are the easiest way to overclock - a lot of computers will have an option in the bios.

how well a processor overclocks varies, but generally if you've got a desktop with a decent heatsink, a 10% increase wouldn't kill anything.

*The video mentioned earlier was supposedly a fake. This is what actually happens to a dying cpu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQG1Lr1DmZk

I've never seen a CPU explode without a heatsink on it... and i've worked on a lot of motherboards
    *bats you with a sheet of paper*
    I know its fake, I was trying to scare him away from potentially killing a rather expensive component.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

A 10% increase also probably wouldnt make too much of a difference.

EvilGenius's Avatar Junior Member

Well, typically you could go much further then that.

Consider a newer netbook based on the Ion platform - normally SC2 is unplayable on such a system (1.6 ghz atom, 10-12 fps). Increase the clock speed to 2.0ghz, and you're at a steady 30 fps.

I also saw a considerable jump in my sc2 frame-rate when i overclocked my athlon x2 to 2.2ghz (from 2.0)

Without knowing the type of computer, it's hard to say what's safe and what isn't - so i figured 10% wouldn't be a bad place to start.
    Last edited by EvilGenius; 05-03-2010 at 12:16 AM.