Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: Team Micro Arena 2

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Project: Team Micro Arena 2

Hello everyone! My experience in mapping lies mainly with the really old staredit program, so for my first project, I figure I'd do something simple and remake a classic UMS map: Team Micro Arena, originally by Cygnus[x.1]. It's on battle.net as "Team Micro Arena Classic".

http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/team-...arena-classic/

Default Re: Project: Team Micro Arena 2 - Remake of a Classic

It looks like sc2mapster found a way to test MP maps: http://www.sc2mapster.com/announceme...ik-mpq-editor/

Would anyone be interested in helping test?

Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    It looks like sc2mapster found a way to test MP maps: http://www.sc2mapster.com/announceme...ik-mpq-editor/

Would anyone be interested in helping test?
    I'd be up for helping . Unfortunately, I wouldn't really be able to actually micro, since my Australian latency makes all my units annoyingly unresponsive, but I'm guessing that that's not really necessary for the purpose of testing?

How does this dohickey from sc2mapster work? I read on their forums that they had this very dodgy-sounding method of picking a map you never plan on playing on (like Twilight Fortress Novice) and actually overriding the original file with whatever custom map you plan on playing.

Does this new method of theirs actually mess with any of the original game files? o_0

Quote Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
    How does this dohickey from sc2mapster work? I read on their forums that they had this very dodgy-sounding method of picking a map you never plan on playing on (like Twilight Fortress Novice) and actually overriding the original file with whatever custom map you plan on playing.

Does this new method of theirs actually mess with any of the original game files? o_0
    Well there appears to be a "restore" button, so everything will go back to normal after you use it. It requires two people to have it at once though.

I'll test with you I guess lol just msn me whenver
    "No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other."
    Be sure to check out the best #$*&#$ video game show ever Epileptic Gaming and the lastest episode on youtube NOW IN HD
    - Oh its a egg I wonder whats inside! =)

Aznargo's Avatar Junior Member

This looks great! I remember playing TMA... I got rolled all the time . Anyway, it's great how you got the unit selection by just clicking and not using civs. I always would tell them to choose one unit, when they would move around all over the place and get the unit that I didn't want. (Which is probably the reason I lost so much...) Looks like an excellently made map! Bravo!

Adun Toridas!
    Current Status - The Worst SC2 Player of All Time

O M F G !

Gradius, I love you!

lol

I can't wait for this map to be final so we can play this like before!
    I used to be really really good at it in BW. Not bragging. I knew almost every timing of every unit's attack and their counters, and I was individually controlling lings which in a regular game I never could!

Fuck yeah! This is an awesome project! Wishing you all the best man!

The map is ready for 1v1 play. Next on the to-do list is serious balancing, heroes, and adding multiple players.
    Thanks to pureWasted and Island for helping me test!

Awesome, I love this map! Thanks Gradius!

So the map is basically playable for multiplayer now. It's published as "Team Micro Arena Classic" but I don't know if anyone can access it, and creating/joining custom games doesn't work for me anyway at this point. I've also updated the map image in the OP.

There are a few things I need help with before I get to the heroes...

1) I have a sacrifice command, but I want it to cost the player points. How do you add up the kill points for all his units, and more importantly, subtract them from his point value of units killed score? I've looked everywhere for this.

2) A feature of my map is that it doesn't have civilians selecting things like in the original, but you just click on the beacons. Unfortunately if you have a beacon already selected when the timer is counting down, and you reselect it, it doesn't work. Is there a command for automatically unselecting a beacon for a player?

3) Since I don't have civilians anymore, I need to make my map more intuitive by showing the player which corners he still has selections available in. Would it be possible to create a green circle on the minimap at a specific spot and switch it up with a black circle via triggers? I'm guessing this is done with pings, but I'm not sure how to get this done.

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be offered.