Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else playing through the canon?

Default Anyone else playing through the canon?

With rumors of a June release based on a May 17 Beta end, I've started playing through all canon SC stuff, starting with the Precursor campaign, and will include the Enslavers campaigns in their proper places and the Stukov Trilogy. I'm then going to read the Dark Templar Trilogy and possibly I, Mengsk, since those books are fairly direct lead-ins to SC2. Is anyone else doing or planning to do this?

Default Re: Anyone else playing through the canon?

Doubt a June release is possible. They have to make the changes based on beta information, manufacture the discs and then distribute them across the world and onto store shelves. I'd say at least three months after the end of beta.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

I've been doing this off and on for the last three years. Played the campaign at least ten times and read the books at least once.

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos came out one week after the last beta patch.

Having said that, the May 17th date is guesswork. Blizzard won't end the beta until the game is reasonably balanced, and Blizzard doesn't know how many patches that will take since they can't see the future.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Centipede's Avatar Junior Member

Three months? A bit of an excessive estimate. I'd suggest one to three weeks following the game going gold.

horror's Avatar Junior Member

Since when was it going to end on May 17th? Just because some advertisement told you so...

The beta is going to run up to the release of the game, don't be ridiculous. Do you seriously think they're going to end the beta and then ship the game 3 months after the end of the beta? It's coming in June and the beta is going strong until the day before release.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I want my name in bright yellow, to represent "Forum Douchebag."

I know that this is in no way a confirmation of anything set in stone but the Gamestop I went to told me that the release for SCII would be June 11 or at least thats what they have in their system.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

It's most definitely NOT June 11 then. Thank you for clearing that up Gamestop.

I see the beta going through the summer right up to the start of school (around August). They've got a lot of stuff to test, like large maps with large numbers of players and the map editor itself — especially the UI and triggers.

But yeah, after the beta is done, the basic release will quickly follow, as they are going to patch things in over time instead of unleashing it all at once. If you've watched that April 19th Q&A with the SCII staff, you'll know that there are things that aren't gonna come out until several months after the initial release.