Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question, Zerg Mission 8 "An eye for an eye" crash a bug?

Default Question, Zerg Mission 8 "An eye for an eye" crash a bug?

Just registered and a funny first post, but...

I believe there is a crash bug in SC original Zerg campaign mission 8 "An eye for an eye" that Blizzard hasn't fixed.

It crashes as soon as Zeratul replies to Kerrigan in a cutscene triggered by destroying a Protoss Nexus.

I've had this in on two PC's and been unable to fix it by reinstalling from two different sources (My Sierra Bestsellers SC + BW CD and Digital Download of SC + BW Anthology) so I do not believe its a corrupt file.

Oddly a friend says it doesn't happen with vanilla SC, only through BW.

Note the Bestsellers version and Anthology don't install vanilla SC only BW so I'm unable to test that, but I don't remember vanilla SC crashing years ago, solid as a rock.

I just wondered if anybody else has had the crash as its very puzzling (albeit skippable by ESC or CTRL-S to turn off Sound.

Google shows up a few others posting about it, identical crash.

Using WinXP and 1.16.1 btw.

Thanks!

Default Re: Question, Zerg Mission 8 "An eye for an eye" crash a bug?

I bought the anthology a couple of weeks ago and just hit the same problem... isn't there any solution to it? I guess one could cheat-skip it but this kinda sucks.

Hmm, interesting bug. I've never experienced it before. Then again, I haven't played through the campaign in a while. Perhaps I'll go test it out later.

Heh, wouldn't it be a silly thing to get a patch for SC1 at this point in time?

You could try going in your battle.net account and re download the game from there. To be honest I never had this problem or heard of it. Also, if I remember correctly, you can click escape to end a conversation faster so you could try that too.

Alex's Avatar Junior Member

I just replayed the mission with my copy from Battle.net (on Windows 7) and it worked perfectly. Perhaps it's because of the OS.

TheEconomist's Avatar Lord of Economics

Nope. Not the OS. I've replayed that mission at least twenty times in the last two years and have had no problems.

Aznargo's Avatar Junior Member

I actually played this mission yesterday with no problems. I'm running Windows 7 with patch 1.15 (too lazy to patch since SC2 is around the corner =P). This is pretty peculiar... I've never heard of this problem before. Did you try with previous patches? Or did you immediately patch after installation? (I don't know if that would mess up the game or anything, but could.)

Adun Toridas!
    Current Status - The Worst SC2 Player of All Time

Sorry for dead thread revival, but I've come up with the same bug, but I have also come up with a solution, actually two:
    1. hit esc during the conversation (I tested it works really and this is the easiest method)
    2. turn off ingame sounds (I didn't bother to test it but some sources say this works)

Either way you end up not hearing the conversation but if you really want to hear it, save just before blowing up the nexus and listen to it. It will crash (of course this only applies to the version with the bug. Is it a version specific bug?), but you can load the save and the skip the speech and continue on.

I am playing the blizzard's SC1 + BW in a pack European version of the game (the one with the "BESTSELLER" text on top of the cover. Pretty much the only version sold in Europe these days, I guess)

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldmaiden View Post
    Just registered and a funny first post, but...

I believe there is a crash bug in SC original Zerg campaign mission 8 "An eye for an eye" that Blizzard hasn't fixed.

It crashes as soon as Zeratul replies to Kerrigan in a cutscene triggered by destroying a Protoss Nexus.

I've had this in on two PC's and been unable to fix it by reinstalling from two different sources (My Sierra Bestsellers SC + BW CD and Digital Download of SC + BW Anthology) so I do not believe its a corrupt file.

Oddly a friend says it doesn't happen with vanilla SC, only through BW.

Note the Bestsellers version and Anthology don't install vanilla SC only BW so I'm unable to test that, but I don't remember vanilla SC crashing years ago, solid as a rock.

I just wondered if anybody else has had the crash as its very puzzling (albeit skippable by ESC or CTRL-S to turn off Sound.

Google shows up a few others posting about it, identical crash.

Using WinXP and 1.16.1 btw.

Thanks!
    I had that at one point, but I don't think it repeats itself multiple times in a row. It helps to save - which everyone does the first time through these campaigns. And yeah. :P

It sounds like it would be more of a sound driver problem. But this is an old thread, so we're going to leave it be