Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we know how strong Protoss are, physically?

Default Re: Do we know how strong Protoss are, physically?

Protoss can pick up Hydralisks and Marines with ease from Revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    If you want to apply excessive logic to it, here goes. Aiur is a huge planet, therefore it has stronger gravitational pull on everything on it. You might have to be several times stronger to lift the same amount object while on it's surface. Any life evolved on it would have to be significantly stronger than life evolved on a planet around the size of Earth, just to achieve the same physical aptitude. When taking into consideration their speed, then the Protoss would have to be very strong to move that fast while under such a strong gravitation pull. Take them off-planet and they're that much stronger and faster inversely proportional to the strength of the new gravity on them.

Obviously in gameplay this doesn't apply, Zergling can run along just as easily on Aiur in practice, but it's a though.
    And how do you know exacly how big Aiur is? Earth comparing it to Mar sara and Char is at least 20-30% larger(according to the Wiki),And i really doubt that gravity will be several times stronger-The Super 'Earths' that are discovered are gigantic, and only have 1.9g compared to 1g on Earth...

If the Protoss were just like larger humans, they would barely be able to move, if at all. Bigger creatures have wider and shorter legs to better support their weight. It has to do with the fact that weight is proportional to volume, and strenght is proportional to the muscle cross-sectional area.

If a creature like the Protoss would exist, their strenght couldn't be compared with ours just by looking at the similarities, as their strenght to weight ratio should be very high for them to move with such a swiftness, and with such slim arms and legs. They're either very light, or very strong.

Are protoss stronger then humans? In a word: Yes.

It's been pointed out already, but the manual actually says they're not only strong compared to humans, but a lot of different races: “Their strength and speed were unparalleled amongst the other races known to the Xel’Naga.” It's also possible the suits they wear further enhance this strength, though I'm unaware of any direct indication of this.

The real question is how much stronger are the protoss when compared to humans? I've seen very little that would point out specifics, but one trait the protoss seem to demonstrate almost non-stop is their ability to leap really high. Doing that requires the leg muscles to not only be strong, but also very fast. So we can at the very least determine that protoss have a lot "explosive strength" in their legs. And logically the rest of their musculature should follow suit.

There's also this little bit, from Revelations: "At last, the warrior extinguished the blade and pulled it out of the creature. Though it was mortally wounded, the creature continued to thrash and hiss as it towered weakly above the Protoss. Taking hold of the creature’s splintered rib cage with both hands, the warrior gave a great heave and lifted its massive girth from the ground. Madrid marveled at the warrior’s strength as it flung the dragon-creature over his shoulder. The heavy body hit the floor with a wet smack and lay still."

Lifting a hydralisk might sound like a simple thing to do, but when you realize just how big they are, and how mass tend to start increasing quite rapidly once you get to those sizes, you quickly realize that what happened there is something a human could never match. Take for instance the world’s largest crocodile (they're at least somewhat similar in build, given the tail and whatnot), it was about six meters long, making it about as long as a hydralisk (if you factor in the tail). It's perhaps not quite as wide, given that the hydralisk has a pretty pronounced upper body, so this weight can be considered a minimum. Well, the crocodile I just mentioned weighed over 1,100kg. That means the zealot lifted more then a metric ton over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by l33telboi View Post
    . Well, the crocodile I just mentioned weighed over 1,100kg. That means the zealot lifted more then a metric ton over his head.
    Well according to the cinematic in the Vertigo Hydras aren't that large,AND being 5.5m in legth doesn't automaticly mean its over 1 ton in weight wtF?

Quote Originally Posted by arthas View Post
    Well according to the cinematic in the Vertigo Hydras aren't that large,
    They do seem to be roughly that large. They stand much taller then marines and protoss zealots, and then you still need to add the tail that slithers behind them to their full length. Granted their size varies somewhat from source to source, but not by that much.

AND being 5.5m in legth doesn't automaticly mean its over 1 ton in weight wtF?
    Sure it does. Unless we were to assume that the Hydras were much lighter then earth based critters for some reason. But they shouldn't be considering they're composed of muscles, water, flesh and bone.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    Okay, well I didn't know that the Toss were the strongest race that the Xel'Naga had found and from that point alone I concede my entire argument.
    I mentioned that in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by l33telboi View Post
    It's also possible the suits they wear further enhance this strength, though I'm unaware of any direct indication of this.
    Cybernetic grafts & leg enhancements would definitely have to help out. I wonder what exactly the cybernetic grafts do though.

Think about it this way: have you ever seen a fat Protoss?

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Interesting stuff guys. Although, I never directly compared Zealots to humans' physical strengths. I compared it to humans with their enhancements (CMC armour, Ghost suits).

All you have to do is check their hitpoints.