Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there any evidence suggesting Terrans have actually accomplished Cold Fusion?

Default Re: Is there any evidence suggesting Terrans have actually accomplished Cold Fusion?

Quote Originally Posted by phazonjunkie View Post
    And how could you possibly contain such intense heat/pressure through conventional means w/o immediate meltdown?

Unless it didn't actually get that hot, and nuclear fusion occurred at a more reasonable tempurature?
    With magnetic fields ? it's similiiar today with trying to contain plasma...

Default Re: Is there any evidence suggesting Terrans have actually accomplished Cold Fusion?

Power requirements are the Achilles heel of modern weapons technology. If they remove that then there is nothing standing in the way of automated attack drones that fire a billion plasma balls that fly at the speed of light. Totally game breaking. So, therefore there must be some issue with Fusion that limits how much power you can get out of it. Like, for suit armor, powering a city or a FTL drive (but not my beloved billion-fire plasma gun ).

Quote Originally Posted by Taoo View Post
    Power requirements are the Achilles heel of modern weapons technology. If they remove that then there is nothing standing in the way of automated attack drones that fire a billion plasma balls that fly at the speed of light.
    You mean, besides the slight issuee that there isn't any known way to actually fire plasma, accelerate to speed of light, developing an advanced enough AI to make all that things possible?

Quote Originally Posted by inverseninja View Post
    Starcraft takes place in the 26th century so they dont necessarily need to use todays conventional means. Why wouldnt they be able to have methods of fussion that are beyond our current level of technology?
    Achieving fusion in back pack sized wearable containers is far less likely then achieving fusion that operates at a hundred or a couple degrees Celsius :P...

I mean, sure, they could be doing that, but one is more probable then the other.

I just realized something. Ingame the weapon for the scv says fusion cutter, and since they dont burst into flames and melt, i would guess it has to be cold fusion. yah yah i know ingame doesnt mean its lore but starcraft was a game first so any lore that cae after would be based on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by arthas View Post
    dude....It's not about just fusion,it's about cold fusion,And I think 'Fusion Core' it's about standard 'hot'- fusing hydrogen atoms into helium under tera pascals of pressure and milions of degrees
    Unless you've got a really good micro particle accelerator.

Quote Originally Posted by phazonjunkie View Post
    And how could you possibly contain such intense heat/pressure through conventional means w/o immediate meltdown?

Unless it didn't actually get that hot, and nuclear fusion occurred at a more reasonable tempurature?
    The thing is, there's a difference between the heat produced by a reaction powering a suit of armor and a reaction powering a decent-sized city. I'd guess that the overall thermal energy of the reaction would be enough to turn most of the Marine into plasma, but if they've got a good containment system...

Hey, these are guys harvesting spires of minerals out of the ground, and have 'tritanium' armor for their buildings. I'm guessing a little unobtainium went into the suits.

That's Engineering Unobtainium, not the Impossibilium from "The Core" or the Improbabilium from "Avatar".

Quote Originally Posted by inverseninja View Post
    I just realized something. Ingame the weapon for the SCV says fusion cutter, and since they don't burst into flames and melt, I would guess it has to be cold fusion. Yeah yeah, I know ingame doesn't mean its lore but Starcraft was a game first so any lore that came after would be based on the game.
    Hey, genius. Fusion refers to things blending or melting via the application of heat. While 'fission cutter' would have made a whole lot more sense, 'fusion' could refer to cutting the minerals apart with plasma torches.

Or, admittedly, semi-controlled fusion reactions, ala the Yamato cannon.