Thread: It seemed like I was suppose to lose, but I won somehow

alexamasan's Avatar Junior Member

Default Alex's collection of games he was suppose to lose

I think I'll just keep a collection of all the games that I thought I was going to lose, but somehow won, not due to my skill, but most likely due to my opponents making mistakes

Alex(Z) vs Aleato(T): I have to say that I was pretty much panicked the entire time. I really didn't counter his army very well (I used speedlings to counter his helions XD, though they were useful against his thors). I thought I was gonna lose when a group of helions just killed almost every worker I had near the end and I felt like gg'ing, but I just decided to keep playing and I somehow won with broodlords and corruptors. Luckily his anti-air wasn't so good, and it seemed he didn't macro that much at all while attacking.

Alex(Z) vs dustin(P): I thought this guy was a little fishy. He was slightly favored to win, but he said he was in the bronze league while I'm in the silver league. I wonder if someone in a lower league can be slightly favored to win, though I was ranked #20 in the silver league, so I don't know. This guy cheesed me with voidrays and killed my lair, so I had lost my lair tech and no income for a while until my hatchery came back. Luckily my tech buildings survived and the creep was able to come back in time before they all died. From then on it was a normal game of me losing 3 expansions, forgetting to scout his base and map, and not micro'ing the units very well because I'm good.

So if anyone would give advice what they probably would have done instead in my shoes, please do.
    Last edited by alexamasan; 04-16-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: It seemed like I was suppose to lose, but I won somehow

It seemed like I was suppose to lose, but I won somehow
    This happens all the time in StarCraft.

How do you watch these video attachement? I'm new here.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by skullxx727 View Post
    How do you watch these video attachement? I'm new here.
    Copy the file into {username}/mydocuments/starcraft2beta/replays/multiplayer and load it up in SC2.

Oh lol i don't have sc2 lol.

ok, well i only had time to view the protoss game, and im gonna be as brutally honest in my critique here, hoepfully not rude :P

anyways, that replay seemed to show a match between two players who are still learning the game. i say this why, because the man basically had you where he wanted you. he cheesed you with a forward pylon, which, you really should have scouted (remember, always scout around your base as well, not just the opponents base), but luckily for you, his micro was horrendous, so he targetted your units sometimes and forgot your buildings, and didn't know when to pull back.

what made that worse is that during the attack, he completely forgot about his own base, and neglected to macro and build more units and probes. remember 16 probes minimum, 24 maximum for max saturation which is 99 percent always recommended (a mistake you both seemed to make, atleast you expanded).

also, when the advantage was in his hands after crippling you.....he did....nothing. didnt expand, didnt try to pressure to push his advantage, he just layed there, trying to get upgrades and building more army and more gateways. all i might add, from the same mineral patch....of course it got depleted :P heck it took him 90 percent of the game to realize, o maybe i should expand now. from his unit micro was horrendous when he made a push on you, seems like all he did was push attack, than twiddle his thumbs, sentries did nothing, his immortals did a little dance and jig for you.

ok enuf criticising him. now, as for you, u did manage to come back after that crippling cheese in the beginning (did i mention you must ALWAYS scout?), but your comeback was mainly attributed to your opponents lack of microing and macroing. u did the good job of expanding and trying to rebuild, and he gratefully sat back and watched you do it. but, you always seemed to neglect your base as well when going on the offensive. this you cannot do. first thing i had to teach myself when learning the game, is how to micro manage. manage your base and the game at the same time. like for instance, you had a great unit combo at the end, and lost it all running it into his storms and forces..... my friend, you could have kited his forces rather easily. and when his forces were gone, u split up ur forces to attack his refineries that no one was mining from.....while ur other forces were getting decimated running into his cannons. never do that, yes its nice to make pretty explosions, but make the explosions count. mass up your units, and hit the right areas, and dance them around once and a while, he was giving you every opportunity to.

also, you built a spire.....and didnt use it.....yeah...end comment on that one, i think its pretty apparent what i'll say: you build something, you use it. spire tech was a smart move as you noticed his army was all land, as he built a stargate at the beginning and completely forgot about it. muta roach army would have been enough to push him.

also, you got gun shy. by halfway into the game, you have a decent mix of units, enough to defeat his army with a well timed push. but you waited till you have an enormous amount of units to attack with, which also, you shouldnt have lost yet did by just running them blindly into his attack. next time, focus fire, aim for damaged units, split ur zerglings to go for the immortals, make your roaches go for the zealots, and have ur corruptors do something other than running into the photon cannons

so in summary:

try practicing a bit more with your micro and macro, go on the attack, make more units, ur units should hopefully still be there when you come back. also, you see one storm go down...dont keep going forward in one huge mass, obviously another is coming, and he gave u a huge delay between the others. always expect the worst, it was late game, why wouldnt he have storms? even if it was all from one base....wow...one base... and lastly, have more faith in your units abilities, and know how they can be used.

sorry if this was too brutal on yah or anything, but i hope it helps!

edit: forgot in my summary one thing: SCOUT! ALWAYS SCOUT
    Last edited by tam; 04-16-2010 at 11:47 PM.
    "look at the pretty mushroom clowds..." ~ gifted

"please, spade and neuter your pets....or else i'll nuke you!" ~ gifted

"My Wife For Hire!" "uhh dude its my life for aiur" "ahh.....makes more sense..."

alexamasan's Avatar Junior Member

Thanks for the advice, it really wasn't that harsh at all I'll definitely try some of these things.

Just curious though, what league are you in?

thats cause i held back :P lol

im not currently in the beta, i just play it with my neighbours beta, and have alot of experience watching, reviewing, and critiqueing replays, hence i use that
    "look at the pretty mushroom clowds..." ~ gifted

"please, spade and neuter your pets....or else i'll nuke you!" ~ gifted

"My Wife For Hire!" "uhh dude its my life for aiur" "ahh.....makes more sense..."