Thread: Handicap Mode

Default Handicap Mode

What does it do? My friend who's not quite as good at SC was willing to play 1v1 with me as long as I had a handicap. But it didn't seem to do anything?

Default Re: Handicap Mode

Handicap reduces all your buildings and units HP to the chosen percentage.

WoL ID: Cthulhu.726
    HotS ID: Cthulhu.211

a 45 hit point marine with 50% handicap has 23 hp like wise with that rate ur 150 siege tanks would have 75 hp

I would think it would be better to handicap the superior player's economy instead of his units. That way the units still work as intended and counter each other like they do in normal games, but the handicapped player would have to work harder on his economy and have fewer units.

Newbies will never learn to get better if they are playing games with adjusted unit statistics.

Not a big deal of course, no one serious about getting better at SC2 would use this feature anyways. I guess its just there to make FFA games with my newbie friends more interesting.

Sarov's Avatar The Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by Pick View Post
    Not a big deal of course, no one serious about getting better at SC2 would use this feature anyways. I guess its just there to make FFA games with my newbie friends more interesting.
    I see it more as a way to be able to play with someone who is in a higher league. For example, sandwhich_bird and Gritten, two people on my list, are in a higher league than me. If we were playing, both of them would take a handicap. The only time we don't use a handicap is when the set up looks like this:

1. Higher Leaguexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx3. Higher League
    xxxxxxxx+xxxxxxxxxxxxxxVSxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx+
    2. Lower Leaguexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx4. Lower League
    Last edited by Sarov; 04-15-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Well in 1v1, the weaker player gets what he needs (mechanics practice), while the better player gets a decent strategical lesson. He has to rely on scouting and hard counters a lot more.
    I could never say it's the best system, but it's worked for me so far.

Handicap sounds ugly. I think there should be a better way to play cross league.
    Pick's idea sounds interesting, but could be too drastic. However doing things the other way like pumping the inferior player's economy making it's workers get 50% more resources (and 50% more minerals and gas in the geysers and fields) would be more interesting, don't you think so?