Thread: Why don't the zerg have any "specialized" units?

Default Why don't the zerg have any "specialized" units?

Something that has been on my mind for quite a while, i'm just curious why the zerg have so little units specialized against a unit type. (counters)

If you look at it, the zerg have a great number of units with a generic atack (without a bonus atack against a unit type). You start of with zerglings, roaches and quenns, all of them don't have any bonus damage in their atack.
    Later on you have acess to hydralisks , mutalisks and corupters , and strangely none of the units have any bonus damage (except the coruptors bonus vs massive). And lategame you have acess to ultralisk and broodlords , who as you alredy guesed also don't have any bonus damage in their atack. Actualy the only other unit in the whole zerg army with a bonus damage to a unit type is the baneling.

First of i don't have any problem with how it is, i'm just courious why it is so?
    I mean just compare it to protoss and terran units, quite a lot of the units have a bonus against a unit type ( vs light or vs armored)

Since almost every zerg unit does the same damage to all units, that kinda limits the gameplay imo, if units would be more specilaized you would see a lot more different gameplay with the zerg, and different units build depending on the match. Where is the strategy if all the units have the same atack?
    I also think that this might be one of the main reasons why some people think that zerg gameplay lacks strategy.

Why don't the zerg have any "hard" counters? Does anybody else also find it strange that almost all zerg units are lacking a bonus damage( it wasn't that way in sc1)?

Default Re: Why don't the zerg have any "specialized" units?

It's not that different from StarCraft I though.

Other than hydralisks and infested terrans, IIRC all zerg units did normal damage in StarCraft I. I think the high number of melee units explain this. The only melee unit that didn't do normal damage in StarCraft I was the firebat (and whether you treat it as melee or not depends on who you ask).

Also, this stuff about the zerg "not having hard counters" sounds like propaganda. Banelings hard counter marines, zerglings and other light units (except zealots, they have too many shield + hit points to easily fall to that attack). They'd do that even if they just did 45 damage per explosion without bonuses; they're still going to suck when used against, say, marauders. Mutalisks and (to a lesser extent) ultralisks are good at killing light units too due to splash - and ultralisks are very good at crushing buildings (like reapers; they have a different attack for that).

Sheesh, even siege tanks (no bonus in siege mode) and colossi are effectively hard counters for anything light, due to their splash patterns.
    Last edited by Kimera757; 04-05-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

It stems from Zerg having centralized unit production. It is so easy for them to tech switch by just building one building and start mass producing a unit. Being able to mass produce specialized units instantly to counter something may be to OP.
    Decepticons, transform and rise up!

Because Terran is the race of hard counters. High damaging attacks but with a lot of Achilles heels.

Zerg are the race of massable small units. They do everything fairly well, but they need large numbers to succeed. The newer units like the roach, baneling and corruptor are the exceptions.

Then there's the Protoss, which are more reliant on high tech armies, or lots of spells to even the odds against their Zerg and Terran opponents. A few of their units have damage bonuses, a few of them don't. The ones that do have damage bonuses don't have very large damage bonuses. (Except the Phoenix and particularly the Void Ray, which I think is kind of a mistake personally.)

It's just the way the races are designed. Terran have the most hard counters, Protoss are in the middle, Zerg have the least. But Zerg are the most vulnerable to hard counters while Terran are the least vulnerable to them.

I could be wrong, but that's what I've observed.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

Hey, I never noticed that.
    I guess is works out "ok" because each unit is rather unique and many unit's damage outputs are determined by their range. In a way, this encourages zerg players to get mixed armies for their range/abilities rather than damage types.

Don't know what more to say, but that's pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
    It's just the way the races are designed. Terran have the most hard counters, Protoss are in the middle, Zerg have the least. But Zerg are the most vulnerable to hard counters while Terran are the least vulnerable to them.
    Well that is basicly the same way i see it.

Well i was just wondering what other people think about it, and since there seams to be many zerg complain topics nowadays, i thought i would point this out, maybe it's important

And i'm wondering if the zerg units would be changed to be more specialized, would that improve zerg gameplay and their strategies or decrease it?

Something that has been on my mind for quite a while, i'm just curious why the zerg have so little units specialized against a unit type. (counters)
    Siege Tanks in Siege Mode have no bonus vs. X. Yet they counter light units just fine. Why? Because most light units have low Hp, and most light units are massable. High damage and AoE combine to make them strong against light units.

You don't have to have a direct damage bonus to counter something. Zerglings counter Immortals because of how Immortals work. Zerglings counter Thors because of how Thors work. Both of these units do single-target damage, and have a (relatively) slow rate of fire. Because of that, Zerglings, produced in mass quantities, overwhelm them easily.

Zerg units are already specialized into their own tasks. They just don't use damage bonuses to do so.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

@Nicol Bolas you are a zerg player if i'm not mistaken?

I'm just wondering what do you think would hapen if more zerg units would have bonus damage in their atack and be even more spicialized?
    How do you think it would afect gameplay?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicol Bolas View Post
    Siege Tanks in Siege Mode have no bonus vs. X. Yet they counter light units just fine. Why? Because most light units have low Hp, and most light units are massable. High damage and AoE combine to make them strong against light units.

You don't have to have a direct damage bonus to counter something. Zerglings counter Immortals because of how Immortals work. Zerglings counter Thors because of how Thors work. Both of these units do single-target damage, and have a (relatively) slow rate of fire. Because of that, Zerglings, produced in mass quantities, overwhelm them easily.

Zerg units are already specialized into their own tasks. They just don't use damage bonuses to do so.
    Ah, see, that's the thing. When hard counter units are involved, units that are NOT hard counters BECOME hard counters. Such as the Zergling. Zergling vs. Zealot involves no hard counter unit at all. So it comes down to numbers and micro. But the Immortal is a hard counter unit (as you mentioned) so the stuff that it doesn't counter, suddenly turn into hard counters.

As far as units being hard counters without having a damage bonus, that's very true. The Thor is a hard counter because it deals very high damage, but only to a single target. The same is true of say, the Corsair, it has a damage bonus versus armored. (In SC2 terms) And yet is more of a counter towards light units due to it's AoE.

That's why Zerg vs. Zerg is usually so limited. Particularly in SC1. The highest damaging, fastest units are the best units to use. That's only changed in SC2 because the Zerg now have a few hard and medium counter units of their own.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

Well OP, think about it. One of the most specialized zerg units in SC2 is the roach and look how many people complain about that unit and look at all the balance issues it has caused!