Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Protoss Players Thread

Default Re: The Protoss Players Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
    I'm kinda wondering if Carriers can be used in smaller numbers nowadays...

Carriers will work a bit better against Protoss after the Stalker adjustment. Void Rays are still a problem, but otherwise? They could be pretty good. Wonder how much their upgrade affects their damage output...

Against Zerg they'll be very problematic if they haven't gone for a spire, though. So that's maybe something to take advantage of.

Maybe a Phoenix - > Carrier build could work.

You absolutely can.
    Can you? I tried to target them with a selection box and I cant pick any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Can you? I tried to target them with a selection box and I cant pick any of them.
    Well my units definitely attack them if I A-move into a field of them.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

Oh yeah,i made a little test today-Carrier beats Mothership in 1v1-with both all upgrades and without any....The range of the Carriers probably makes them superior even than the battlecruisers-who not just have 6 damage vs air but also 6 range..

You guys should break it down like I did, would be easier to get the info.

So how exactly is toss supposed to counter Banshees & Vikings? I've just been getting murdered by this. I've tried going stalkers/phoenix, mass phoenix, void rays, carriers. Everything I can think of and they just roll right through my army. Not to mention that with some marines it becomes even more potent.

Here is a replay of me being completely destroyed by this strat.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3xwywy...ngOP.SC2Replay

I'm at a loss for what to do with this. I've tried mixing sentries in with my stalkers as well, to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0x View Post
    So how exactly is toss supposed to counter Banshees & Vikings? I've just been getting murdered by this. I've tried going stalkers/phoenix, mass phoenix, void rays, carriers. Everything I can think of and they just roll right through my army. Not to mention that with some marines it becomes even more potent.

I'm at a loss for what to do with this. I've tried mixing sentries in with my stalkers as well, to no avail.
    As I said before, the preferred strategy is to cry in a corner and hope its over quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    As I said before, the preferred strategy is to cry in a corner and hope its over quickly.
    Preferably while listening to the tune from deliverance.

I have a replay, and I used stalker/Phoenix with zealots to counter any marines and to try to keep my min count down...

It works great vs Banshee viking. Don't forget blink on stalkers. I messed up macro-wise in the game, but I ended up winning - he even went BC lol.

Did you even watch that replay? Your loss was completely your fault. There were plenty of times you could have done something, but you just didn't.

First, you scouted a very late Barracks! He had a 3-depot wall, but he hadn't even started his Barracks. Why did you tech? You could:

1: Fast expand.

2: KILL HIM!

I'm aggressive, so I'd just rally to his base, break down his wall, and kill him. While expanding.

In any case, there's no reason you shouldn't have had a huge advantage against him.

So you tech. For some reason. You scout him going for Vikings and Banshees. You've already built an Immortal by this time. So you send a strike team in that kills his expo. But then you just lose the strike team. You throw it away on some Marines. You had the econ advantage again, and you threw it away by not leaving while the getting was good.

So on the one hand, you were underagressive, then you were overaggressive, expecting a couple Zealots and Stalkers to take out a gaggle of Marines.

Then, you do something mind-numbingly stupid. You built a lot of Zealots. I don't know why. However, oddly enough, it "works", since you're able to walk into his base. The problem is again what you do there. You also forgot to get gas from your expo (not to mention your expo was way, way late).

You see his new expo, but rather than start killing SCVs, you go for... StarPorts? Really? What, did you expect his 12x2 Banshees to not kill your Zealots or something? At least if you'd attacked his SCVs, you'd have killed something important.

So he retaliates by killing your Probes at your expo. However, you are able to send it away.

Now we come to the late game.

Your main is getting mined out. Do you take a second expo? No, but he does. You have all these useless Photon Cannons, which won't do squat against the number of units he's throwing around. And you've had an Observer in his base this whole time, so you know he's adding a large Marine ball to his units.

So where's the Psi Storm? Colossi aren't a good idea with all that air, but High Templar are a good idea. Where was it? You got Dark Templar.

And where was Blink? You got Charge for Zealots... for some reason. Where was the Blink that would allow your Sentries to concentrate on his Vikings?

See, the problem with fighting Banshee/Viking as Protoss is the Vikings. Phoenixes are firing pea-shooters at them; your main damage dealers have to be your Stalkers. But Stalkers fall prey to Banshees. The key is to use your Stalkers to take out his Vikings, so that your Phoenixes can take out his Banshees. To do that, you need to be able to keep your Stalkers away from his Banshees. That requires micro, but it also requires Blink.

So you let him take an expo. You don't look for him expanding; you don't send a sacrificial Phoenix or Observer around to check for expos. You just let him have the map.

How could you possibly expect to survive?
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

I've found that against Zerg, the first melee upgrade makes a huge difference in any kind of ling rush, and chrono boosting it brings it out pretty quickly.

As for reapers, if I know the opponent is Terran, I either go single gateway to either an early core for the stalkers or a forge for a cannon in the mineral line. That's usually enough for a super early reaper push.

With stalkers though, I do try to push early blink because once you have an obs and 6-8 stalkers, you can cliff hop harass very easily, which can be a huge advantage.

I've had a hard time transitioning to either colossi or HT and most of my wins as toss come from overwhelming numbers of blinking stalkers w/ upgrades. Anyone found a sweet spot for this transition or any good triggers?