Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Protoss Players Thread

Default Re: The Protoss Players Thread

With Gradius here: any good later game VS Terran strats? Especially when they go air? I can't seem to stop viking+banshee. My Phoenix gets owned by viking, stalkers get owned by banshee's...it was a brutal mess
    Without a home. Without a people. Without mercy. The Arcani

Blizzard's Exact Mathematical Definition of Soon™: {soon|1 month<soon<∞}

Another?!

Vs Terran air I find your best bet is crying in a corner and hoping its over soon.

You can also spam Zealots and Immortals to take down his base before he takes yours, seeing as getting that many air units takes a lot of resources and both Zealots and Immortals obliterate any Vikings who may land.

Fun shit.

Stormers is generally my counter to basically anything late game. feedback banshees, and storm in itself is absolutely devastating to most air units. VR's destroy BCs and carriers as well. The only problem with this is, I feel like if you're forced to go stormers if you expect the game to go that long, there is far too long of a wait period to tech to make HT's useful. You require both upgrades for them to have any real purpose in relation to their massive gas cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyvik View Post
    With Gradius here: any good later game VS Terran strats? Especially when they go air? I can't seem to stop viking+banshee. My Phoenix gets owned by viking, stalkers get owned by banshee's...it was a brutal mess
    Did you try using sentries at all in your mix of stalker/Phoenix?

Granted that you'd be spending 100 gas for every sentry, but the advantage is the Guardian Shield. With that, maybe the stalkers would survive long enough to take out the banshees, and the group of Phoenix should be kept behind the stalker line normally doing hit-and-runs due to their very fast speed. Although, Vikings have range 9, if they're hovering above your stalker/sentry, select 4 stalkers out of your group and micro them to snipe off those vikings with shift click.

I know this is all very micro-intensive, but honestly, since you allowed T to build that kind of force, you must have scouted his tech and started countering with stalkers. Having warp-in helps so much in these situations, and since this mix requires a lot of micro, you could be on top since you can micro/warp-in pretty quickly with Protoss.

Guardian Shield's +2 temp armor gives stalkers a huge boost to sustain banshee damage. Also, what was your follow up plan after dealing with viking/banshee?

horror's Avatar Junior Member

Protoss in late game is boring. It's either spam anything you can or die. Carriers still suck (though I've seen no-one mass them yet), the Mothership is a wreck in itself and DTs have been lost to nerfing, as once the enemy can see them, you're finished. And, Protoss suck against air.

Quote Originally Posted by horror View Post
    Protoss in late game is boring. It's either spam anything you can or die. Carriers still suck (though I've seen no-one mass them yet), the Mothership is a wreck in itself and DTs have been lost to nerfing, as once the enemy can see them, you're finished. And, Protoss suck against air.
    Er... what league are you in?

Btw, just FYI, Carriers are mofo killers man... In a FFA, I was given the chance to mass 5 carriers and a token stalker/sentry/zealot force and boy was THAT devastating!! I eventually had 12 carriers and was unstoppable even vs 8-10 VRs one of the other guy had.

Carriers are extremely GOOD if you have enough. 5-6 carriers seem to be the critical mass where they are the most effective. They are quite tough to take down.

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

Yeah Carriers are awesome. But mass Vikings own Protoss air so bad though. :[

Vikings are the new Scourge. I don't bother with air vs Terran, they slaughter everything I build from my Starport. I can accept them killing my VR's well... but not my Phoenix. Not like they do.

Carriers are amazing, and I have been thinking of ways to really abuse them, though it is difficult since so many people rush you right off the bat. You apparently cant shoot the interceptors anymore (I actually didnt know of this change) and they start with 4 and you can build 4 more (no more need to get an upgrade for 8). They may not be good in PvT since vikings are ridiculous and terran has a tendency to pick some up these days to counter colossus, but PvP and PvZ they are probably really good now.

I'm kinda wondering if Carriers can be used in smaller numbers nowadays...

Carriers will work a bit better against Protoss after the Stalker adjustment. Void Rays are still a problem, but otherwise? They could be pretty good. Wonder how much their upgrade affects their damage output...

Against Zerg they'll be very problematic if they haven't gone for a spire, though. So that's maybe something to take advantage of.

Maybe a Phoenix - > Carrier build could work.

You apparently cant shoot the interceptors anymore (I actually didnt know of this change)
    You absolutely can.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!