Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Macro / micro blanace across different levels of play?

Default Macro / micro blanace across different levels of play?

i started typing this as a reply to the assign-queen-to-hach threa, but realized that one is entierly derailed, and figured this might make a decent new topic.

the amount of macro-management available to be optimized can be quite overwhelming for a low-end player, once the scale of the game grows; lack of multitasking ability may well punish players that focus more on troop-positioning, scouting or harassment.. this leads to bad/ less enjoyable gameplay on these lower levels of play! in this context it doesnt matter that the high end players are satisfied with how it works. we should be able to find something that works quite well for everyone involved!

as is, forgetting to use SL for a minute or two can mean game over: if i try to do something clever - focus real hard on it so i forget to Spawn larva, while my enemy blindly macroes and simply "attack-moves at the problem", i will be in BIG trouble if i dont pull a more or less heroic victory in tactical-combat..

i clearly remember these situations from sc/bw : as armies (and defenses) grew bigger, rational use army-movment & attacking took so much attention that it rarely felt worthwhile: i just had to pray i could end the game or secure a favorable map-presence before teh scale of teh game grew too large, becasue at a certain point, i would simply get out-macroed by even attempting any active aggression.

granted, despite macro mechanics & speed increase, sc2 is more straightforward to play than sc/bw (i know some disagree), but i can easily see the same sorts of problems arising for others, or maybe at some point even me.

bottom line: high end players may be satisfied with balance between micro and macro, but it can still be quite skewed (in favour of macro) at lower levels, even as the metagame unfolds over time...
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

Default Re: Macro / micro blanace across different levels of play?

Quote Originally Posted by Todie View Post
    i started typing this as a reply to the assign-queen-to-hach threa, but realized that one is entierly derailed, and figured this might make a decent new topic.

the amount of macro-management available to be optimized can be quite overwhelming for a low-end player, once the scale of the game grows; lack of multitasking ability may well punish players that focus more on troop-positioning, scouting or harassment.. this leads to bad/ less enjoyable gameplay on these lower levels of play! in this context it doesnt matter that the high end players are satisfied with how it works. we should be able to find something that works quite well for everyone involved!

as is, forgetting to use SL for a minute or two can mean game over: if i try to do something clever - focus real hard on it so i forget to Spawn larva, while my enemy blindly macroes and simply "attack-moves at the problem", i will be in BIG trouble if i dont pull a more or less heroic victory in tactical-combat..

i clearly remember these situations from sc/bw : as armies (and defenses) grew bigger, rational use army-movment & attacking took so much attention that it rarely felt worthwhile: i just had to pray i could end the game or secure a favorable map-presence before teh scale of teh game grew too large, becasue at a certain point, i would simply get out-macroed by even attempting any active aggression.

granted, despite macro mechanics & speed increase, sc2 is more straightforward to play than sc/bw (i know some disagree), but i can easily see the same sorts of problems arising for others, or maybe at some point even me.

bottom line: high end players may be satisfied with balance between micro and macro, but it can still be quite skewed (in favour of macro) at lower levels, even as the metagame unfolds over time...

I keep having this problem where if i dont make units and my opponent does I lose. Whats up with that!

so youre not gonna be able to take a serious part in this discussion? fine. good riddance.

i cant outline every single part of my argument to you like i would to a child, especially not knowing you dont even want to understand.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.

Hi.

so youre not gonna be able to take a serious part in this discussion? fine. good riddance.

i cant outline every single part of my argument to you like i would to a child, especially not knowing you dont even want to understand.
    I read and understood all of it. You want micro to play a bigger role. You dont like that Starcraft has so much macro. Nothing you said here is new. In the end all I can do for you is point you in the direction of about 20 other more mircro favored RTS games that you might like instead.

you are needlessly simplifying and polarizing the subject... im making a principal argument in order to favour a rational discussion.

Hi.

you are needlessly simplifying and polarizing the subject... im making a principal argument in order to favour a rational discussion.
    I am simplifying your arguement and pointing out that this discussion has been discussed more times than any other topic on this and every other Starcraft forum.

You dont like that Starcraft has so much macro. I dont like the DoW2 has so much micro. I dont like that C&C4 has so much micro. I dont like that Warcraft 3 has so much micro. I dont like that Halo wars has so much micro. I dont like that Company of Hereos has so much micro....
    Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 03-23-2010 at 05:37 PM.

not during beta.. we're experiencing the game., and as such we may have greater insight on some of these issues.

Hi.

The point Todie is making is that between building a larger army (macro) or teching and using less by more powerful units (micro), army size and macro will win every single time in SC2. It was more balanced in SCBW.

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    It was more balanced in SCBW.
    The debate over whether SCBW or SC2 had more macro is also one weve had just shy of a billion times before.

Keep in mind with Bnet's system, you will be playing people who are basically the exact same level as you, so it's not like some new player is going to play a pro and win...