Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Terran players thread

Default The Terran players thread

Looking for Terran strategies? This is the place to look. In this thread I will try to make a guide of how to play Terran in SC2. I'll start off by stating vaguely my personal build orders/strategies at the moment and from there, you guys can comment on them or tell us your own Terran build orders/strats. The more info we will get, the better this guide will be. If you're suggesting a strat, please be as descriptive as you can. Tell us in what conditions it works and against which kind of players(copper, bronze, silver, gold, plat?) you actually succeeded in doing so and how many time have this worked. If the strat is not from you, state your sources. You can include replays if this can help you in describing your strat. I'll try to include a replay to each build order eventually. Also, please tell us your experience with the strategies described in the guide.

Note:
    -For now I won't break up the strats in opening/mid game/late game but once we have more strats I will be able to.

-Strats are not up to date. This was mostly the early stuff I was doing. I will update soon enough so don't take the strats too seriously.

-I'm no pro(silver atm) and this guide will most likely not be intended for pro players.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Personal hotkeys

1- All your CC
    2- All your Rax
    3- All your Fact
    4- All your Ports
    5 to 0- units.

TvT

1. Marine + SCV rush

-Works against: Silver and under
    -Maps: 2 players maps only
    -Note: Doesn't work well with the latest patch
    -How you do it:
    Send 5 scv to the minerals and send one towards your enemy's base. Once you hit 150 minerals build a barrack (at a place where your enemy wouldn't scout it if possible). Take 2 of your scv currently mining and send them to your enemy's base for harass. Once the barrack is over, send your scv who made the barrack to support your other 2 scv and build a marine. Rally your marines to the enemy’s base. Continue pumping marines and A move towards your enemy's barrack. Try to build a bunker if you can. If you're able to destroy your enemy's barrack, you won. Micro is the key here.

2. Classic Tanks

-Maps: Any
    -Replay: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C3KHQGAZ
    *note*: didn't made a tech lab with the rax because I thought he was gonna push with marines early
    so I needed units

-How you do it:
    9 Supply depot (at choke)(scout with scv once he's done)
    12 barrack
    13 double refinery
    16 Orbital command
    Supply depot(at choke)
    2 tech lab on barrack (one after the other)

Basically how I go after that is I build 2 factories and take the tech labs that I made with my barrack. I research siege as soon as possible and build tanks. I make a reactor on my barrack to pump more marines if I don't have enough gas. As soon as my first tank is done, I send him with 2 scv and the marines that I have to my enemy's base and set up camp near his main. After that it depends on what my opponent did. If he quick expanded I basically won the game. I just keep pushing toward him with my tanks and there's not much he can do. If he went reapers, I keep 2 tanks in my main and he's also screwed. If he went quick air, a couple of turrets in the base should be enough. It gets tricky if he went either for a fast push or tanks himself. If he went tanks you will play this like you would a TvT in SC1 except you replace the goliaths with the Vikings. If he went for a fast push well you're screw if you didn't saw it coming. If you did saw it coming, repair your depots at your choke, siege in your base, make a bunker and you should be fine. Push back to his main as soon as you repelled the attack.

If you feel like the game is not moving anymore, you can transition into battlecruisers and yamato your way to your enemy's main.

TvZ

Note about the MU: Usually rushing doesn't work from my experience (silver and under).

1. TvZ Standard

-How you do it:

9 Supply depot (at choke) (scout with scv once he's done)
    12 barrack (at choke)
    13 refinery
    15 Supply depot (at choke)
    17 Orbital command

Depending on what you scout, get a reactor or a marine first (rush=marine, tech = reactor). Build 2 other barrack. Get a tech lab on your first one and another reactor on the last one. Build m and m from your 3 barracks and get stim. Push to your enemy once you feel you have enough units. While your army is fighting, build a CC in your base (that you will lift off later to expand) and tech to Starport for medivac. If you see that your enemy is going banelings, get siege tanks. If you see that he's going muta, engineering bay and protect yourself with turrets. If you see he's going roach, you'll need more marauders. Eventually you'll want ravens + HSM.

2. Hellion harass opening

-Works against: -
    -How you do it:

10 Supply Depot (at choke)
    11 Rax (at choke)
    13 Gas
    15 Orbital Command
    15 Marine
    16 Marine
    17 Factory (as soon as you get your first 100 gas)
    18 Supply Depot (finish your wall-in)
    Keep making SCVs
    As soon as you get 50 gas, build a Reactor for your Rax, making sure that your wall is still a wall.
    As soon as the Factory is done, switch it with the Barracks, make 4 Hellions, and gogogo!

This build is used to punish Zerg for fast-expanding, as you should have a window to inflict some damage before they get Roaches. From here, you can do whatever you want. I think that a lot of Terran players enjoy transitioning into Banshees, since the Zerg player would get Roaches to counter your Hellions.

Another take on this build would be to make a tech lab instead of a reactor on the first rax and float it so that you can start the upgrade while a second factory with reactor is making hellions. Harass with 4-6 and keep rallying.

Transition out of hellion opening:

take 1:

Build 2 more Barracks with tech labs (including your starting rax, that's 3 rax with tech labs) and just make Marauders.

If you keep building Hellions alongside your Marauders, you should do really well against the Zerg. They shouldn't get a chance to get Mutalisks, and Marauders > Roaches, and Hellions > Zerglings, so you're covered.

take 2:

To transition out of this build I would recommend making a ebay and start +1 ranged, while making a extra rax ( and adding a tech lab to one and and making marines out of both) and when the harras is over lift the reactor off and land the un added on rax into the slot. THEN start a starport while expanding, add another reactor onto the factory. and when your startport is done lift factory, and land startport and scan the zerg, if you see a spire make 2 vikings - if not make 2 medivacs and start marine shield upgrade(and work on stim after).

Keep scanning the zerg with every other 50 energy, and if at any time you see a spire build turrets behind your minerals and 1 between your rax and other buildings and pump vikings and marines (no marauders) and if you see standard hydra ling, add a tech lab onto your second factory(again) and beghin making double tanks while pumping the occasional medvacs with constant MnM production. Take your third base (islandbase if possible and try to prevent the zerg from getting a third, and with annoying tank placement win the game!

TvP

1. TvP Standard

-How you do it:
    12 barrack
    13 double refinery
    16 Orbital command
    Supply depot(at choke)

Get 3 barracks like in the TvZ standard but instead of having 2 reactors you'll have 2 tech labs and one reactor. Get a ghost as fast as you can after that and once you have it you can move out and attack. You'll want to tech to medivac after that. If you're enemy is going collosus, I suggest making vikings. If he stick with High templars you have your ghosts to counter. Watch out for Dark templars and proxy pylons.

2. Reaper opening

-How you do it:
    12 barrack
    13 double refinery
    16 Orbital command
    supply depot(at choke)

You'll need 2 barrack (not more) with tech lab. As soon as you have your first tech lab, get the speed upgrade. Once you have 4-5 reapers, harass as much as you can. While you're attacking, build a CC in your base and move your tech to what you would do in the standard build.

3. SCV + Reactor Marines rush with proxy rax.

-Maps: Any but works better in 2 players maps
    -Note: I really need a more defined B/O
    -How you do it:
    Scout with the first SCV you get (not needed in 2 players maps). Get your first gas before anything else. Once the rafinery is done, get 2 more scv in. Stop harvesting gas at 100 gas. Go for a proxy rax next. Build a depot in your base. Send one scv to build another barrack beside your first one and send another scv to harass. Get reactors on both barracks and attack once you have 6 marines. send all your scv but 4 to the enemy's base also. Keeping sending marines to your opponent base and get the probes before the gateway. Works most of the time if the guy went for 1 gateway and then Cybernetic core. Doesn't work so well if he went 2 gateways (or even 3?).
    Last edited by sandwich_bird; 04-12-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Default Re: The Terran players thread

Toss 4 Life!!

We are the blades of Auir!

We appreciate your cooperative attitude in providing us information on your human war tactics.

Nice subliminal messages with propaganda of myself Arkalis :P

Hey, that's me!!!

If you see he's going roach, you'll need hellions.
    Wait, whaaaaat?
    Last edited by SaharaDrac; 03-21-2010 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SaharaDrac View Post

Wait, whaaaaat?
    So what do you do against roaches?

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich_bird View Post
    So what do you do against roaches?
    Duh..? marauders...

They've got a point Sandwich Bird - Hellions are really really bad against Roaches :P. Marauders kick Roach butt :].

However, with some micro, Hellions WILL own Zerglings, Banelings and Hydralisks :].

In fact, fast Hellion harass seems to be popular with Terrans these days against Zerg - maybe you should add that to your list .

Gradius's Avatar Administrator

2. Classic Tanks

-How you do it:
    12 barrack
    13 double refinery
    16 Orbital command
    Supply depot(at choke)
    2 tech lab on barrack (one after the other)

Basically how I go after that is I build 2 factories and take the tech labs that I made with my barrack. I research siege as soon as possible and build tanks. I make a reactor on my barrack to pump more marines if I don't have enough gas. As soon as my first tank is done, I send him with 2 scv and the marines that I have to my enemy's base and set up camp near his main. After that it depends on what my opponent did. If he quick expanded I basically won the game. I just keep pushing toward him with my tanks and there's not much he can do. If he went reapers, I keep 2 tanks in my main and he's also screwed. If he went quick air, a couple of turrets in the base should be enough. It gets tricky if he went either for a fast push or tanks himself. If he went tanks you will play this like you would a TvT in SC1 except you replace the goliaths with the Vikings. If he went for a fast push well you're screw if you didn't saw it coming. If you did saw it coming, repair your depots at your choke, siege in your base, make a bunker and you should be fine. Push back to his main as soon as you repelled the attack.
    You should transition into Banshees with this. TvT is basically about who can tech the fastest & control the the most expos. Also, whoever moves into the Siege line first loses.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUNT View Post
    They've got a point Sandwich Bird - Hellions are really really bad against Roaches :P. Marauders kick Roach butt :].

However, with some micro, Hellions WILL own Zerglings, Banelings and Hydralisks :].

In fact, fast Hellion harass seems to be popular with Terrans these days against Zerg - maybe you should add that to your list .
    Yeah I guess so for the marauders. I'll edit.

Can you make me a build order for the fast hellion harass opening?

You should transition into Banshees with this. TvT is basically about who can tech the fastest & control the the most expos. Also, whoever moves into the Siege line first loses.
    I don't think you really need banshees if you get vikings like I suggested. Those guys can easily harass and counter air units as well as kill unprotected siege tanks(going ground mode on them). Your opponent will most likely have turrets in his siege line to counter the banshees too. Battlecruisers would be a better choice imo if you're gonna transition into something else