Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Mothership abilities

Default Ideas for Mothership abilities

The new mothership abilities have been criticized for being too much like arbiter abilities so I thought I would start a thread for brainstorming new ideas for mothership abilities.

I will kick things off:

Continuum fracture- Creates a wall at right angles to the mothership that is impassable by anything, including air units and abilities but allowing sight.
    Lore-The powerful mothership is able to fracture the spacetime-contiuum itself to create a barrier against the enemies of the protoss.

Temporal reversal- A channelled spell that heals a protoss units hp.
    Lore- Damaged protoss machinery is repaired by reversing the temporal flow to a time when it was whole.

What do you think?

Default Re: Ideas for Mothership abilities

The wall seems a little over the top in my opinion, if you were to go that route I'd rather see Time Bomb again.

A friend and I were discussing this not to long ago and we had a thought, what iff when not moving the mother ship projected a power field like a phase prism at a cost of energy per second in the same vein as cloak.

Quote Originally Posted by screw_ball69 View Post

A friend and I were discussing this not to long ago and we had a thought, what iff when not moving the mother ship projected a power field like a phase prism at a cost of energy per second in the same vein as cloak.
    Wouldn't that just overlap with the phase prism? What advantages would it bring?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake View Post
    Wouldn't that just overlap with the phase prism? What advantages would it bring?
    Power field at a moments notice when you dont have time to fly a phase prism into a enemy base as your army crumbles around your mothership.

Power field at a moments notice when you dont have time to fly a phase prism into a enemy base as your army crumbles around your mothership.
    Or you could have saved the cost of a Mothership and brought 2 Warp Prisms with you.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Rake View Post

Temporal reversal- A channelled spell that heals a protoss units hp.
    Make it Shields instead of HP. Costing a small amount of energy to start the channel, but none to maintain it. And make the regeneration quick enough to make the targeted protoss unit or building survive focused fire. Adding more micro and support utility to the mothership. Cant target itself of course.

I do Like the passive cloak aura and the black hole thingy or however they call it today. Those 3 abilities would make the Mothership worth the investment I think.

Mobile shield battery that can shoot and cloak people? Sounds scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsceptor View Post
    To be fair, Channeling means no other actions. Like shooting or moving. At least so far Ive seen the Infector and phoenix do their channeling that is.

Quote Originally Posted by screw_ball69 View Post
    I think Mothership should be able to release small flying ships from itself, these small ships shoot at enemy units.

The point of this ability is that you'll have small flying ships at a moment's notice when you don't have time to fly a carrier into an enemy base as you need to kill something.

Now for some serious suggestions:

Phoenix's old overload ability. It never made sense for Phoenix because you had lots of them, they were cheap to replace, and there was never any point not to use the ability. Mothership is unique, expensive to replace, and has other abilities so using Overload would actually be a choice. Plus it makes thematical sense; your mothership is something you would want to be able to make a last stand. Also, since it would now be on a very slow moving unit instead of the very fast Phoenix, timing this spell becomes more important.

Some kind of shield management. Shield battery is a good idea. Another possible ability would be a kind of shield freeze; for X time the targeted unit's (or units' in targeted area) shields cannot go either up or down. If this ability is used on someone who still has shields, they become invulnerable. If it's used on someone who has already lost all their shields, it's a wasted spell. And you'd be able to counter it just by paying attention; if one Colossus becomes invincible, just shoot the other Colossus for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsceptor View Post
    Why not remove the cloak?

overload could be interesting...

i fear ill miss the shield battery, so i'd love for the MS to have some variation of that, maybe an ability to simply summon a temporary battery?

single-target shield bosting abilities arnt gonna happen IMO, not that id want them either. thats effects on a too small scale.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.