Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does blizzard collect information?

Default How does blizzard collect information?

When balancing. How do they collect information? Just curious what your theories are. I mean aside from reading the forums and playing the games themselves. I wonder if they have a program where, it watches battle.net, and perhaps gives them an idea of how often a unit or spell is used.

Default Re: How does blizzard collect information?

They do. They have things that watch stats on every game. Then they can look for any major spikes concerning certain matchups and whatnot.

But so far it's only been a week, and there aren't really many hardcore imba strats found yet, only generally known ones that are still counterable. It'll be some time before a major patch hits I would figure.

Oh neat. How did you know that?

That's how blizzard's matchmaking works. They don't just look at record anymore, but a number of stats which probably includes the info that Triceron talked about. It would only make sense for them to use that info and probably more, in their balancing.

I saw it on an interview a few days back. I think its referred to on the SClegacy main page, but i could be wrong.

All build orders, game results, apm, resource collection rates, and numerous other stats are sent directly to blizzard for analysis.

Probably they even keep a replay of every game played for analisys. There's nothing more detailed than that.

Two words: Battle.net 2.0

The interface is always online, and has a cloud based db for info, hence all user game info is uploaded to that DB and Blizz just accesses it and analyzes the info with different software and analysis tools internally. It's all behind the scenes, and I am sure there is more than 1 team involved in the process.

Even after only a week, the amount of data must be absolutely staggering.
    For us, beta = fun. For Blizzard, beta = WORK, WORK, WORK.

The first patch will probably be an hardware one, correcting all the little (and big) bug found. Then after this there will be a second wave of opt-in.

But maybe they will nerf some unit.... i'm off topic now ehhh...

We still need to consider they need the feeling of the public. Program can provide data and statistic, but is the game fun? No stat can say this.

they arent and cant only send waves after a patch, you need MORE data and as much as possible.

b/c of the small pool right now any major problems could be something specific unless when you get a larger group and the problem persists then its a widespread problem.