Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extractor 'trick'

rdragon87's Avatar Junior Member

Default Extractor 'trick'

For those that don't know what this is:
    Towards the onset of the match, you construct an Extractor just before initiating your 10th Drone. Then you cancel the Extractor for an eleventh Drone even though the supply limit is ten.

I think something should be done about this. I know it probably doesn't effect the game in the long run, but it still feels like an exploit to get an advantage at the beginning of the game. I understand it is a hard thing to fix, but still it should be done.

What do you guys think about it? I equate it with cheating. It might be in the game, but it's still an exploit. (I'm aware that half of SC1 skilled tactics involved exploiting the flawed mechanics, but that doesn't make it right.)
    Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side… and the truth. ~John Sheridan

Never argue with idiots for they with bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. ~Anonymous

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. ~C.S. Lewis

Default Re: Extractor 'trick'

I don't think this is fixable -you'd have to break the game mechanics to stop the Zerg from doing this - nor do I think it needs fixing. The extractor trick was fairly trivial in SC1 - we'll have to see if it even makes a difference in SC2.

Quote Originally Posted by rdragon87 View Post
    For those that don't know what this is:
    Towards the onset of the match, you construct an Extractor just before initiating your 10th Drone. Then you cancel the Extractor for an eleventh Drone even though the supply limit is ten.

I think something should be done about this. I know it probably doesn't effect the game in the long run, but it still feels like an exploit to get an advantage at the beginning of the game. I understand it is a hard thing to fix, but still it should be done.

What do you guys think about it? I equate it with cheating. It might be in the game, but it's still an exploit. (I'm aware that half of SC1 skilled tactics involved exploiting the flawed mechanics, but that doesn't make it right.)

It was present in the original Starcraft, it's intended.

The only way to fix it is to make constructing buildings take up a point of supply.

Which would be SO ridiculous.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

It is indeed intended and part of a level of the zerg skillset to consider. Also remember that the cancellation of a building means that you get 75% of the resources back. So it also costs 5 minerals (Used to be 10) when you do it. Not a major tradeoff, but overall it's something that is low concern.
    Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

You do realize that for all the time you take your drone off of mining, which to start an extractor + build another drone, is at least 5-10 seconds. Add in the cancelation giving only so much back, not full... Its not really much of an advantage.

In SC1, people used to do it all the time, but recently in the past 3 years, Pros just figured it doesnt even really help at all, so they stopped doing it. Im assuming its the same with SC2, people may think it helps but in reality it doesn't really at all, just more of a placebo

If it were a big deal, they could just make it so a building takes up a point of supply until it is completed. That would be an easy fix for this "exploit." But as others have pointed out, it doesn't have a significant impact on the game, if any at all. So why bother?

If it were a big deal, they could just make it so a building takes up a point of supply until it is completed. That would be an easy fix for this "exploit."
    Easy fix, which would just cause poor players like me who always forget to build overlords more grief.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

In the original Starcraft it was actually a net mineral LOSS because of the way building cancellation was refunded. Go look at any current pro reps and you won't see zergs doing any extractor tricks.

Now that extractors are only 25 minerals, it might be a gain, but then again overlords build insanely fast anyway. If there is a benefit from this mechanic it is very very slight and nothing worth complaining about.

Go look at any current pro reps and you won't see zergs doing any extractor tricks.
    Not totaly true my friend- many pro's do in fact do this- depending on their build order.

Back with all gun's blazing.