Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Making?

Default Match Making?

So what do you guys think? How's the matchmaking system? Do you end up facing a lot of people around your skill level?

Dale's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: Match Making?

From what I've seen in all the live streams, they are much better than SC1. It looks like we will be less likely to get paired up against a total noob or a 1337 Pr0. But its definitely not impossible.

For example, Gifted used a whole day testing out random builds (a good portion of which were not viable). The next day, when he wanted to play seriously, the match making system began favoring his opponents which were obviously not as skilled as him.

The point being: the match making system is mathematical system. It can only "learn" what it sees. And sometimes what it sees is not the true skill of the player. Which means it can never really tabulate what your true skill is. But it will definitely make a closer guess than the match making systems of the past, methinks.

That's purely speculation. I haven't played the beta myself.

i have a question, can ur skill level go down? some people might not play for a while and get worse and the only people they get paired with are uber pros

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaxilos View Post
    i have a question, can ur skill level go down? some people might not play for a while and get worse and the only people they get paired with are uber pros
    I believe Dale just answered your question, right before that.

He said Gifted spent a whole day testing builds, and not playing well.
    But the next day, when he played seriously, he was matched with lower skilled people, therefore meaning it went down.

My personal experience:

The 10 classement match are VERY important, they are make to face you opponent stronger and stronger and see where you choke. I begun right away with 1v1 classement match playing random, not even a match vs cpu. I got rapped really bad and finished into the copper league. Then i climbed up rapidly to 1st place and i'm in the top 3 playing toss from almost 4 days. Considering i"m in the top 10, I face people in bronze league (and most of the time win) but the ladder systeme don't want tot climb me up.

I also tried 2v2, i went 7-3 in my classement match and finished in the gold league! I was disapointed.

In Both case the system done half of its job. But it is also my fault, I taked the first 10 match unprepared. My major point here is the ladder doesn't jumb me in the bronze considering I have the level.

Hexotic's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gt2slurp View Post
    My personal experience:

The 10 classement match are VERY important, they are make to face you opponent stronger and stronger and see where you choke. I begun right away with 1v1 classement match playing random, not even a match vs cpu. I got rapped really bad and finished into the copper league. Then i climbed up rapidly to 1st place and i'm in the top 3 playing toss from almost 4 days. Considering i"m in the top 10, I face people in bronze league (and most of the time win) but the ladder systeme don't want tot climb me up.

I also tried 2v2, i went 7-3 in my classement match and finished in the gold league! I was disapointed.

In Both case the system done half of its job. But it is also my fault, I taked the first 10 match unprepared. My major point here is the ladder doesn't jumb me in the bronze considering I have the level.

If the system immediately upgraded someone to the next league whenever they make it to the top 3, then it wouldn't really be much of a "league".
    I'm not saying the system is working perfectly, there have been many complaints about it, but there has to be SOMEONE at the top of a league.

You should check if it is pairing you up with people in the next league. Does it ever tell you the other person is "Favored", (if you're #1 its pretty easy to see that someone favored against you would be in a higher league), and then do you win those matches?

I expect it to be more predictable when you played a lot of games. I had never understood why Iccup resets everything by seasons.

Extranjero's Avatar Junior Member

I got placed into the 2v2 Bronze league, and I have been either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd since nearly day 1 of beta. I win a fair amount of my matches against favored opponents, but I have yet to move out the Bronze league. There was one guy in my league who was also in the top spots with me, but he has disappeared from the division, leading me to wonder if he was promoted to Silver league..

I think that they should reset the rankings every month or two.
    Then we would have a chance to re-prove ourselves into a different group.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    From what I've seen in all the live streams, they are much better than SC1. It looks like we will be less likely to get paired up against a total noob or a 1337 Pr0. But its definitely not impossible.

For example, Gifted used a whole day testing out random builds (a good portion of which were not viable). The next day, when he wanted to play seriously, the match making system began favoring his opponents which were obviously not as skilled as him.

The point being: the match making system is mathematical system. It can only "learn" what it sees. And sometimes what it sees is not the true skill of the player. Which means it can never really tabulate what your true skill is. But it will definitely make a closer guess than the match making systems of the past, methinks.

That's purely speculation. I haven't played the beta myself.
    lol... I don't mean to bust your chops, but for the match making system to be much better than sc1 all you need is to actually have one.

It's looking like this matchmaking system is better than wc3, which actually has a matchmaking system...

Additionally, I think even though it can't tabulate your true skill, it can definitely improve even after making a mistake rather quickly.

A) You suck royally for whatever reason
    B) AMM or Placement system Puts you in bronze
    C) You whoop on X players
    D) You wont be in bronze anymore...

I believe this system gives you points based on your relative skill during a game. So, if you have this crazy surge of skill, it should give you a large amount of points to boost you up faster.

On a side note: A friend of mine actually had the opposite of this happen to him. The game actually placed him in gold, and he had to lose many matches before he got down to a level that was close to his own. However, his losses were taking a lot of points away... Even though it may have made a mistake placing him there, it seems to have corrected it somewhat, and will probably have him in the right spot within the next couple of days...
    http://sclegacy.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=23&dateline=124193888  6

Please stop the spread of Mass Effect!!!