Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three-Gate Zealot

Default Three-Gate Zealot

The first seemingly broken build. I played 5 games vs. Protoss, and 3 of them involved me losing to this build (as the Zerg). (FYI: one of the others was against some guy who didn't know what he was doing, and the other was against a guy who contained me with cannons because I wasn't paying attention and exhausted me).

I'm far from convinced that it is invincible, but it is very tough. 4-pool back when Spawning Pools cost only 150 minerals tough.

One of the problems I ran into was even finding out if it was happening. Granted, I didn't Drone-scout, but that may be the only way to know what's up.

The other problem is the counter. Roaches and Banelings, either of which can probably do a good job, cost a sizable quantity of gas.

There was this one game where I almost beat the guy who went for this. It was on Lost Temple. I went for a super, super fast gas. Extractor before Overlord, fast. But I only put two Drones on. That gave me enough surplus gas by the time the Baneling Nest came out that I could do something. You also get early speed for the Zerglings.

I fought off his early attack (Spawn Larva was utterly vital to keeping up with his output). He tried to set up some Proxy Pylon BS, but I shut that down quickly enough. The problem was that I moved out with my SpeedLings and morphed Banelings a little outside of his base. I did it in a spot he wasn't watching, so he didn't catch me with half my army down. The problem was that, while my Banelings were Morphing, he sent way too many Zealots around in a direction I wasn't watching. My army just couldn't get back in time.

Looking back on it, I almost certainly should have used my advantage to expand, with Zerglings and Banelings keeping those damn Zealots out. Alternatively, I could have gone for Roaches; those might have worked better defensively.

I can tell you this much: don't fast expand against Protoss unless you're sure he's not going 3-Gate Zealot.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

Default Re: Three-Gate Zealot

What's your thoughts on Chrono Boost? Do you think it plays a large part in this build?
    Decepticons, transform and rise up!

What's your thoughts on Chrono Boost? Do you think it plays a large part in this build?
    No question. There's no way the Protoss could get the money for that many Zealots without some kind of aid.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

I was quite surprised that you could use right off the bat. Couldn't they lay it off until CyberCore?
    Decepticons, transform and rise up!

Hell, I was surprised it didn't cost money. As a Zerg, I have to pay 150 minerals and wait till a Pool finishes just to get access to a Queen.

Protoss? Wait 25 seconds.

The ability itself is good; it's just way, way to early for that kind of thing. Not unless they increase the production time of Probes to compensate.

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

I remember coming across a bunch of zealot rushes, not sure if they were 3gate.

Perhaps we can test this out tomorrow

But I've always been able to do fine with roach/ling -- but im not the type to take a fast expand.

Though now that I think about I have won alot of games with just zealots -- I think chrono is going to ended up coming after gateway or somthing
    Last edited by Islandsnake; 02-18-2010 at 07:30 AM.
    "No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other."
    Be sure to check out the best #$*&#$ video game show ever Epileptic Gaming and the lastest episode on youtube NOW IN HD
    - Oh its a egg I wonder whats inside! =)

Ive gone two gate chrono boost zealot rush 3 or 4 times today. Won every time, not even close.

Chrono-boost just seems so nutty right now.

I think I need to rethink my PvZ right now. I've been trying out an 11 hatch -11 pool, dual-queen economic build and fast zealots seems to beat me every time.

I'm not a great player by any means and I'm pretty sure both PvZ games I've played so far involved me battling superior players, but when the guy has as many Stalkers as I do Zerglings in the middle of the game... yeah, jeez.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

drone scouting sounds wise, but it sucks to be forced to slow down your early econ-accel. just to be able to tell if the enemy is using his initially superior econ-accel. to rush you! but you gotta do what you gotta do...

what are your defensive options? spine crawlers are still made by queen? my sc/bw-based intuition tells me to go for spine crawlers and try to cover them from melee with other buildings as far as possible. (-> letting them engage buildings befre attacking with 'ling /drone) ... Im guessing thats hard to do if it works at all. but crawlers are more fragile than sunks were, correct?

obvious as this may be, to try to keep up / catch up / get ahead in econ you obviously need to keep at it with drone production, so (if you scout a strong-econ-zeal rush) try to see the zeals comming and stay off making zerglings preemtively unless you want to try to harass with them.. just hatch the lings "with perfect timing" as you need them.

... i love this sort of stuff. Question is if i really have any sort of clue, and if ill be able to keep up with changes.
    I am an enthusiast of good strategy games, sc2Esports and rollplay, although i dont really play anything atm.
    I work an internship at a government agency this fall, and have a good time at it.
    I'm being more social, active and honest lately. in all forums.

Hi.

What build are you guys using for this? Ive got some time later today to try it out.