Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: new screenshots

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

Default Re: new screenshot

- Dust over minerals: dark swarm? residual attack animation? Macro mechanic (a-la Proton Charge)?
    Hm I didn't notice that. It MIGHT be Dark Swarm but if it is it certainly isn't clear cut enough. I don't think it will be easily identified fast enough whether a unit is "in" the dark swarm or "out."

I'm pretty sure that's a Hive, and not a Lair.

Kudos to Arkceangel for the Terran avatar and sig!

Drizzit's Avatar Junior Member

new infestor model in 3rd screen!
    Last edited by Drizzit; 05-23-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Last edited by Perfecttear; 05-23-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Default Re: More new Screen shots

wowww thank you...

Cafeagles's Avatar Junior Member

picture #3 new infestor

In making units visually readable within the game, there are three main things: first is the contrast of light and dark between the units and the environment (objects with more contrast standing out more, and lighter units standing out better against darker environments), color saturation (objects with brighter color standing out more), and silhouette (how the unit looks as an object).

One of the things I find most pleasing about this shot is just the level of graphic polish, but more importantly the fact that they seem to be hitting the proper light/dark tones on a global scale. The right contrast on the units themselves, combined with the right contrast in the environment makes the game easily readable, just like the original SC.

Now I see their biggest issue being saturation. See in the original StarCraft the environments were generally pretty desaturated, which in turn made the more saturated units stand out on the terrain. This is not the case with SC2 yet. The environments, from the rocks to the grass, etc, is still has VERY saturated colors, which muddle the overall visuals of the game and make the units harder to distinguish.

Still, they have made significant steps in the right direction with the graphics so far, and I have hope that they will correct this as well.

As for the units, well damn, the Ultralisk looks VERY dark (perhaps even a bit too much so, especially without the bone-colored scythes). The Brood Lord is a bit weird, but I will have to see it in action before I make any final judgments on it. They seem to have removed most of the spikes from the Hydralisk and the Baneling now looks symmetrical and thus more believable. The Zerg are looking pretty choice overall. I love the new morphing buildings, they look so organic and wonderful.

Overall its coming along well. I am so stoked for the future of this game

-Dread_Reaper

EDIT: Holy shit more screens! Wow, the Infestor looks beastly! I.... I think I just came. Also, why are the Colossus floating? Seriously look, the shadows and the tips of their legs don't meet. Weird. I still think the environments are a bit too light though, and as such the units are being lost in it. Overall darkening it will fix this problem.
    Last edited by Dread_Reaper; 05-23-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Blizzard have a thing with always putting Terran as the outnumbered defender in their screenshots. They even have two on one in this batch. Poor, poor humans.

Back with all gun's blazing.

Cafeagles's Avatar Junior Member

broodlings in the last pic attacking the bunkers?

Drizzit's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeagles View Post
    broodlings in the last pic attacking the bunkers?
    yeah

can you find the overseer in the last pic? ^^ I think it's really hard to spot