Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 130

Thread: new screenshots

  1. #101

    Default Re: new screenshots

    New Infestor and Brood Lords look amazing! Very bug-like.

    Can't wait to play this game!

  2. #102
    Kegluneq's Avatar Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: new screenshots

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. Size isn't an indication of whether something can move underground, least of all in Starcraft. Nobody ever complained that the Nydus was too big to move underground.
    But the Nydus had a giant mouth at the head, so its easy to assume that it moves through the earth similar to how an earthworm does. But the new infestor's bulky frame? I don't see anything capable of moving adequate amounts of dirt on it.

  3. #103

    Default Re: new screenshots

    Quote Originally Posted by GeeGee View Post
    The Starport hasn't changed at all since it was revealed, and it looks exceptionally toyish in comparison to the other Terran buildings.

    http://www.starcraft-news.com/buildi...s/Starport.jpg

    The factory doesn't look that great either. It looks smushed and not elongated enough. Personally, I think it could use some improvements.

    I don't really wanna turn this into SC1 vs SC2 graphics, but just look at the difference.

    SC2 Factory

    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1396/...546d4d.jpg?v=0

    SC1 Factory

    http://illsmokum.tripod.com/sitebuil...es/factory.gif

    Perhaps the main difference here is texture.
    Ouch... thats an old screenshot of the factory you used. The team color is very bright, that looks like it was from pre-alpha.

    Here something more recent, you can see the difference:


    I think the problem here is it has 2 ramps, but Im not too worried about it.

    Also, heres a screenshot from Evoltuion of SC. This is an early (pre) beta screenshot, where I think SC2 is right now.



    As far as the starport goes, I will admit that still needs some work. Seeing how the spawning pool got fixed recently, Im not too worried about graphics. When the beta arrives in 2-3 months, most of the graphics should be done.
    Last edited by Crazy_Jonny; 05-25-2009 at 08:42 PM.

  4. #104

    Default Re: new screenshots

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegluneq View Post
    But the Nydus had a giant mouth at the head, so its easy to assume that it moves through the earth similar to how an earthworm does. But the new infestor's bulky frame? I don't see anything capable of moving adequate amounts of dirt on it.
    The position of an earthworm's mouth has no relation to its locomotion. They move by small bristle-like structures on their outer body that allows them to 'anchor' themselves in the ground and to stretch and squeeze their bodies. While it may appear to invalidate the infestor's ability to burrow through the earth, it doesn't. It just merely references how an earthworm and graboid move through the ground (and possibly the Nydus worm). Just had to merely correct you on that.

    On the infestor itself, there appears to be scythe-like talons in front of it to facilitate burrowing and ultimately moving through the ground. Also, to me, it looks like a very fat grub. And because people consider it to be like the reaver, I assume it can also use 'bristle' structures and use its segmentation to move through the ground like any other worm entity.

  5. #105

    Default Re: new screenshots

    Huh. I actually never noticed how much the new Factory looks like the original.


    The Mother of all Queens!

    Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

  6. #106
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: new screenshots

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Jonny View Post
    Ouch... thats an old screenshot of the factory you used. The team color is very bright, that looks like it was from pre-alpha.

    Here something more recent, you can see the difference:


    I think the problem here is it has 2 ramps, but Im not too worried about it.

    Also, heres a screenshot from Evolution of SC. This is an early (pre) beta screenshot, where I think SC2 is right now.



    As far as the starport goes, I will admit that still needs some work. Seeing how the spawning pool got fixed recently, Im not too worried about graphics. When the beta arrives in 2-3 months, most of the graphics should be done.

    Yes, the 2 ramps as well as the texturing. One reason why Terran buildings look so good in SC1 was due to their mix of both shiny metal and worn-out grittiness. SC2 Terran buildings don't possess the former quality. In fact, I think only the scrapped "Starbase" had this metallica luster I'm speaking of, which I personally think the Terran could use a bit more of.

    http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/st...2_DevGame1.jpg

    You're definitely right about the evolution of the original Starcraft, but it also went through a dramatic graphical engine change. I don't think SC2 is going to change that drastically from what it is now, considering the beta is right around the corner.

  7. #107

    Default Re: new screenshots

    What are you talking about. The Terran grittiness issue has been fixed for the longest time now. You're the only one who is still complaining. And to reiterate, the "grit" in Sc1 was a product of the limited color palette of the game engine, not because Blizzard wanted it to be specifically be that way. They already added gritty textures to the terran a year ago and everyone is happy but you.
    Decepticons, transform and rise up!

  8. #108
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: new screenshots

    Quote Originally Posted by flabortast View Post
    What are you talking about. The Terran grittiness issue has been fixed for the longest time now. You're the only one who is still complaining. And to reiterate, the "grit" in Sc1 was a product of the limited color palette of the game engine, not because Blizzard wanted it to be specifically be that way. They already added gritty textures to the terran a year ago and everyone is happy but you.
    Is it really necessary to get confrontational over an opinion?

    I wasn't referring to grit, I was speaking of luster.

    And you're wrong. I have been to several forums and there have been similar comments concerning Terran buildings needing improvements, and I'd say many agree with me. The most recent one being a thread I made over at SC2 Armory

    http://www.sc2armory.com/forums/topic/6801

    If you want more:

    http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...45349&sid=3000

    http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...02722&sid=3000

    http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...90482&sid=3000

  9. #109

    Default Re: new screenshots

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Jonny View Post
    OUCH! That is new factory? I must say that for me, the old one looks better This one looks just like from SC1 Beta
    "Living for the Swarm!"

  10. #110

    Default Re: new screenshots

    I can't take anything S2armory and battle.net says seriously. Frankly, I don't care. The general consensus of SCL is that the Blizzard has done their job. I could care less what other boards think because this board is the, dare say it best boards for SC related material. This and TL.net are the only ones that seem to to be worth reading. What I call people like those, are people who can't be pleased even when Blizzard added the dirt and grit people wanted, it still wasn't enough. Blizzard added grit to the Terran most of the people who were concerned including me was shut up. All is left is a minority who still isn't pleased and it is not worth making more changes for a small group of people who weren't satisfied.

    Lastly, people are treating it as if we will see buildings in-game as static image. If you watch the videos, you will see that the buildings have animations, bells and whistles that give it much more character(especially the Zerg). The 3d renders aren't even exposed to environmental lighting and particles like they would be in-game. Take note these are 3D models not 2D sprites that don't have lighting whatsoever like in SC1. So if you are judge how a building looks, judge it how it interacts with everything in-game. Buildings aren't just some static mass of polygons. Each and every part of the building moves in some way and their surfaces reflect with the environment. Even then, Blizzard will not stop improving textures until release anyway.
    Last edited by flabortast; 05-26-2009 at 04:15 AM.
    Decepticons, transform and rise up!

Similar Threads

  1. GameMeca StarCraft II Screenshots
    By Gradius in forum StarCraft II Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •