Page 187 of 187 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187
Results 1,861 to 1,868 of 1868

Thread: StarCraft II Artwork Thread

Default Re: StarCraft II Artwork Thread

Last edited by drakolobo; 08-23-2018 at 04:04 PM.

That is phenomenal, super cool. Hope they release an English dubbed version. And I want to know where to see a better look at that Ultralisk statue that they mention briefly!

I also just found the reel of an artist who worked on the portraits for SC: Remastered, showing the process of how they used 3D models that then the painted portraits were projected onto, then animated. Really nice to see.

Damn that's beautiful work she did. How exactly did she "project" the portraits onto the models?
    Aaand sold.

Be it through hallowed grounds or lands of sorrow
    The Forger's wake is bereft and fallow

Is the residuum worth the cost of destruction and maiming;
    Or is the shaping a culling and exercise in taming?

The road's goal is the Origin of Being
    But be wary through what thickets it winds.

The most basic basic version would be, grab a portrait, make an untextured model that lines up with it, then do a planar projection from the camera's angle, and apply the portrait as the texture.

Then everything on any other side of the model would just be a mess of stretched UVs, but the portraits mostly stick to one angle and just do little nods and head turns and things. And if my model of Tassadar here were a tiny bit more detailed, it would be really easy to now animate things like eyebrow raises and all that. And then they add extra animated eye glows and spit and things in 2D in something like After Effects.

This is also how they do it when you see videos of like Studio Ghibli movie scenes but in '3D', and also something that is done for like digital matte paintings and stuff. Project the backgrounds onto rough 3D models and layers of 2D planes, and then you can move the camera around and get some 3D parallax.

Obviously that particular artist put way more time and effort into it and actually did an extremely nice job, sculpting the actual details of the characters instead of just having them be projected on something flat. That's the only way you can really have the head turns and everything look good when Kerrigan has all of her hair tendrils and everything. Her portrait is really one of the best in the Remaster, imo.

But it's also the reason some of the remastered portraits kind of look like paintings, and the reason some of the portraits don't look as good as some of the full 2D versions Blizzard released. Like, you can tell that the Hydralisk portrait in game is based on this 2D painting, which looks awesome

...projected onto this model:

Don't get me wrong, they still put a ton of effort in, and did have to actually model the shape of those jaws and things. But all of the lighter areas and shadows that are painted in the carapace of the head, those are things that should really shift as the hydralisk's head moves around so much— but they don't, because they were just painted once. The highlights on the gums make the 2D version really look slick and wet, but because the highlights never move in the animated one it stops looking as realistic.

This is all a great cost saving measure though because getting really detailed materials and textures to have all of those highlights, and things like worn, rough edges on all of the terran armor, is hard and time consuming. And again, they mostly did a very high effort version, where they really did also sculpt details and also use some actual 3D lighting, as you can see when the Zergling angles its head and the blue light on the top really does change. And they also had to paint a texture for the inside of its mouth, and such. So they did a high-effort, good looking version of this technique.

If you recall, I also did this for a low-poly Leviathan model, where I just projected my drawing from the side. So from the side, it looks great! From the top, it looks like a mess! I also converted the drawing to a normal map to get a fake version of having that sculpted detail, but with 0 manual effort.
    Last edited by Robear; 08-23-2018 at 07:56 PM.

model 3d old school

3d models

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRk5clR723Q

[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

[/IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-A8adUzGNM3M/TtYdNCusmCI/AAAAAAAAAD0/rBOcj4IpmKc/s1600/Marine+Squad+Leader+-+005+%25282010%2529.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by drakolobo; 09-23-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robear View Post
    That is phenomenal, super cool. Hope they release an English dubbed version. And I want to know where to see a better look at that Ultralisk statue that they mention briefly!

Last edited by drakolobo; 09-23-2018 at 07:55 PM.