Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starcraft II Production News

Default Starcraft II Production News

Please be aware of the SC:L Posting Rules and Guidelines.

If I were you, I'd look at these links. You might even follow or like them or something...

StarCraft: Legacy: Like us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter - Subscribe to our Youtube channel
    Legacy Observer: Watch live on Twitch.tv - Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - Subscribe to Youtube Channel

Default Re: Starcraft II Production News

Is this 1|22 or 1|24?
    Good news that I would have missed otherwise either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    I want my name in bright yellow, to represent "Forum Douchebag."

For example, the Ultralisk has “heavy armor – biological – giant” attributes, whereas the Archon has the “psionic” attribute. You can probably tell from looking at the Archon, but not all units are divided into [light armor/heavy armor]
    I wonder if that means that the Archon takes no additional damage from most units now. That would be a huge change from BW, where the unit was easily countered most of the time. At 300 gas, it's probably a good idea.

Therefore, Zerg units (which are usually biological) take 35 damage when attacked by Archons.
    Usually biological? Could that mean infested mechanical units?

Quote Originally Posted by Norfindel View Post
    I wonder if that means that the Archon takes no additional damage from most units now. That would be a huge change from BW, where the unit was easily countered most of the time. At 300 gas, it's probably a good idea.
    Yes. The fact that it's mostly shields probably explains this anyway.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

The tiny version of the Stasis Tubes image should be made so that you can click it for full size.

X
    Stalker: Artwork vs. Animation (Finished: Blizzcon 10/2008)
    Zerg Creep Suggestions (Finished: Blizzcon 10/2008)
    Mystery of the Swarm Guardian (Revealed: 6/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Schmendrick
    hooty-hoo, lady.

Yes. The fact that it's mostly shields probably explains this anyway.
    Shields don't work like that; they never did in SC2. Shields basically act as regenerating Hp in SC2. So a light unit will take bonus light damage, even when it has shields.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Nicol Bolas View Post
    Shields don't work like that; they never did in SC2. Shields basically act as regenerating Hp in SC2. So a light unit will take bonus light damage, even when it has shields.
    Is that really the case? There are sources that say otherwise.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Hunter_I's Avatar Junior Member

Even more complicated damage system than that of WC3?
    IN how many hits will muta put down a PHoneix? How about a Marine?
    Massive bionic psionic.
    And add to it unit doing not a single damage hit, but 2Xpartial, and how about contineus damage units, like the void ray?
    Grrr...
    Do just people forger the golden KISS rule? It's Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_I View Post
    Even more complicated damage system than that of WC3?
    No. It's a more streamlined version of the StarCraft system if anything. With a couple of other new bonuses.

IN how many hits will muta put down a PHoneix? How about a Marine?
    What does this have to do with damage bonuses? Mutalisks don't have any damage bonuses.

Massive bionic psionic.
    They're pretty simple to be honest... Massive was introduced to give big units like the Colossus and Ultralisk a bit more oomph. Psionic was introduced to give a common trait to units with energy. So things are a bit clearer.

Bionic... wait, what the heck's bionic?

And add to it unit doing not a single damage hit, but 2Xpartial, and how about contineus damage units, like the void ray?
    "continuous damage" is just periodic damage.

The Mother of all Queens!

Thanks to Dynamik- for the signature!

Is that really the case? There are sources that say otherwise.
    Name them. None of them come directly from Blizzard, as they have stated very clearly that shields do not take damage differently from Hp.

Do just people forger the golden KISS rule? It's Keep It Simple, Stupid!
    The SC1 system was in no way "simple." How much damage does a Siege Tank's 75 attack do to a Marine? That requires knowing:

1: What type of damage the Siege Tank does. The UI doesn't say.
    2: What size the Marine is.
    3: How that type of damage modifies the damage based on the size of the Marine. The UI again doesn't say.

A 75-point explosive attack does how much to a Light unit? You have to look up the conversion tables and do some division.

Compare this to something much simpler: 10 + 10 vs. Armored. This only requires knowing:

1: Does the target have the "Armored" keyword?

And you instantly know how much damage it does. No need to look up a damage table or memorize anything. You know it just from what the game tells you. And that is as it should be.

This system also played hell with balance. Finding the sweet-spot for a unit to specialize against certain types without being made useless against others was neigh-impossible. Which is why you get units like Firebats, which sound like a good idea, but only work in very limited circumstances.

Having a more flexible damage bonus system works better for all involved.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog