Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta Length Speculation

Default Beta Length Speculation

Hello, I was just curious, since many of us wont be getting keys. Typically, how long do beta phases run for? I understand that it all depends on potential bugs, race nerfing, and whatnot. I mean this is just for speculation, but once beta is out, should I be excited for a full release to follow 2 or 3 months afterwards? How long do these things typically go for?

Default Re: Beta Length Speculation

Most companies run beta for about 3-4 months closed then a month open and then go into release shortly after. with Blizzard tho who knows we could see 6 months of closed beta ironing out the bugs and balancing, it all dpeends really, we will have to wait and see.

Blizzard has said in interviews, gonna be shooting for 4-6 months

Man! thats long -.-
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    - Albert Einstein

Not really.

I mean this is just for speculation, but once beta is out, should I be excited for a full release to follow 2 or 3 months afterwards? How long do these things typically go for?
    The information for a "typical" release is irrelevant. StarCraft II is anything but typical. Not just because it's being released by Blizzard (the only company known to exceed Valve-time), but also because it's StarCraft II.

StarCraft II needs to hit the ground running. This isn't like SC1, where they can build the base while ironing out the wrinkles. It needs to work, it needs to work competitively, and it needs to work from day 1 of release.

4 months is the absolute bare minimum that SC2 needs for beta. You need at least that much to be able to tell the difference between some genuine imbalances and things that can be corrected with adjustments to strategies or players metagaming against one another.

6 months is better, as it allows enough time to see several metagame shifts. You're more likely to be able to tell the difference between a genuinely useless unit and one that is useful but "subject to discovery" (ie: people need to figure out how to use it).
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

"You simply cannot design a mechanic today to mimic the behaviour of a 10-year old mechanic that you removed because nearly nobody would like them today." - Norfindel, on the Macro Mechanics

"We want to focus the player on making interesting choices and not just a bunch of different klicks." - Dustin Browder

StarCraft 2 Beta Blog

Damn, I figured as much. I'm sure it'll be close to half a year AFTER beta is released before a full release. Again, it all depends on what bugs and imbalances they find though.

Well then... here's hoping I get a beta key from the opt-in.

With all the effort I imagine put into the product already.. would it not be possible to have it before 4 months?

I wish its 1-6 months instead of 4-6.. :P

Edit: New thought. Maybe they would time it so that the they start MP beta when SP is 6 months away from completion? Does this make sense? Now 6 months of singleplayer improvements would justify 6 months of waiting.
    Last edited by don; 01-27-2010 at 05:19 AM.

Play Protoss? Look for the map Photon Cannon Tactics in the NA server!

The beta delays means single player is essentially done by this point.

Warcraft III's SP campaign took the last 9 months; there were fewer delays.
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

This game will be difficult to balance. I think it's probably going to last 6 months.