Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Macro idea: Protoss "Speed Warp"

Thumbs up Macro idea: Protoss "Speed Warp"

This is a pretty cool idea I saw on TL.

Source: The refinement of macro ideas: a destination
    Quote Originally Posted by SWPIGWANG
    So macro ideas have come left and right, and after some searching, I realized the best macro "mechanic" is already there. I'm talking about the Larva system and how it makes the Zerg economy and flexible and powerful thing where:
    1. Every production cycle is a complex decision on powering, tech switching, or saving larva and gas while waiting for tech or critical mass
    2. It is integrated into both complex build order plans or clutch responses seamlessly.
    3. Feels Completely natural and integrated into the racial identity and no one ever complains about it
    -----------
    So I seek out something with similar level of power and far reaching effects for the protoss race, where people complain lacks interesting macro mechanics. Here is my proposal:

Nexus spell: Speed Warp
    Increase the speed where the target building builds, builds units and research upgrades by 20%. It lasts 25 seconds and has a cooldown of 30 seconds and its effect is shown graphically with a beam channeling power from the nexus to the target. The spell has a range of 14 tiles. Can target the nexus itself.

The strategic effects of this ability is far reaching, completely changing every timing in the game from build orders to adaptations. One can imagine a protoss player switching the use of this spell depending on scouting information all the time, like aid in building Robo if one scouts DT attempt, then back switch into nexus for faster probe production after the DT is blocked after losing some nat probes, then into templar achieves to research storm for a timing push....etc

In addition to effecting timing, it effects the base layout and subsequent opponent scouting and building snipes. To take advantage of this spell the most, one would want to spread out buildings at expansions, for example a stargate at every expo for faster carrier switch or a cybernetics core out at expo to research air weapons faster. This would make mass proxy tech hiding or putting productin/tech buildings in well protected areas less of a no brainer, as it is now. This will mean different timings for different base layouts, and different scouting patterns will be needed to figure out the protoss player's intentions then it is now.

The far reaching consequences and potential uses of this simple to understand ability makes this far superior than ideas based on resourcing and ideas revolving around just generating clicks.
    Personally, I like it. There was a change I had thought up, however, that I posted in that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by n00bonicPlague
    I like this concept of super-charging buildings. It reminds of my "Psionic Flux" mechanic (which was pretty much Additional Supplies moved to the Protoss but with the added ability to double the psi range of a pylon). If I could make one adjustment to "naturalize" your mechanic, I would have the Nexus target Pylons only, my reasoning being that, lorewise, power flows from the nexus to the pylons to the buildings, rather than directly from the nexus to the buildings. Whatever Pylon gets targeted then supercharges everything within its range.

To prevent this from getting overpowered, the boosting charge would get split up between whatever processes are going on at the time. For instance, you suggested 20% boost. If it hits a Pylon that has a Gateway making a Zealot and a Forge upgrading shields, each process will get a 10% boost (instead of each getting a 20% boost). This will prevent players trying to smash as many buildings as possible around a single pylon so that all of the buildings get a 20% boost.

This adjustment to your idea can also get a cool effect with the targeted Pylon increasing in brightness and perhaps even casting a visible psi halo within its psi radius. I also think this will increase the importance of Pylons and make them more critical to gameplay than just nodes for supply and regular power.

Default Re: Macro idea: Protoss "Speed Warp"

Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 12-27-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Pandonetho's Avatar SC:L Addict

This idea sounds familiar. Didn't one of our members propose something like this once? I don't remember who it was but I swear I've read about it here before.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    This idea sounds familiar. Didn't one of our members propose something like this once? I don't remember who it was but I swear I've read about it here before.
    Its been proposed several times. I proposed it in my thesis before I realized why its not as good as it seems.
    Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 12-27-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Please don't turn this into 4chan...

Quote Originally Posted by Pandonetho View Post
    I've proposed a similar idea for Terran. ;p

Drop Building Assistance Drone (BAD) (inspired by Santrega's suggestion):

- unlocked by Barracks
    - requires resources (say, 50/50 min/gas)
    - 25% building buff speed when dropped on a building under construction
    - salvages the target (restricted to player's structures only) when dropped onto a completed building (technicalities of salvage subject to balance)
    - destroyable
    - only one BAD can be dropped onto a single building (however, it one BAD dies, the player is allowed to drop a new one)
    - no energy from OC required
    - no cooldown
    - Sensor Tower's field of vision needed (subject to balance)

Works like this:

(- build Sensor Towers in appropriate locations)
    - select OC (with BAD(s) available)
    - press a proper hotkey
    - select the target (Sensor Tower's LoS needed)

Possible uses:

- speeding up FE
    - speeding up Depot/wall-in construction
    - speeding up Turret construction
    - faster teching
    - faster tech switches (e.g. salvage redudant Barracks and assist in constructing Starports)
    - getting rid of redudant buildings on the battlefield, and so on

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    Hahaha that was nice and clever.

Mmmm well this is better than Extra Resource gathering. More battle oriented. SC dont have any mechanic like this one, I mean accelerate construction speed, or tech research, or unit training. Well the Reactor maybe works like this but only with units. But this is something different.

I wonder why nobody posted an idea like this before, not that its the Mechanic of the century, but it was easier to imagine. I'd like to see what people thinks.
    Waiting...

The damned will return...

Quote Originally Posted by KadajSouba View Post
    SC dont have any mechanic like this one, I mean accelerate construction speed, or tech research, or unit training. Well the Reactor maybe works like this but only with units.
    Dont forget.

Quote Originally Posted by KadajSouba View Post
    I wonder why nobody posted an idea like this before, not that its the Mechanic of the century, but it was easier to imagine. I'd like to see what people thinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaybeNextTime View Post
    I've proposed a similar idea for Terran. ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherofAiur View Post
    Its been proposed several times. I proposed it in my thesis
    From Sept 14 2008
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...topic_id=78657
    Last edited by ArcherofAiur; 12-27-2009 at 05:46 PM.