Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How does the Roach work?

Default Re: How does the Roach work?

In that show match where David Kim went Roaches and Hydras vs a ball of Marines and Marauders, I think that Roaches and Zerglings would have been more efficient.

It's cheaper and more efficient against that AoE-less enemy, and even with pro APM, it's going to be difficult to micro your units to always be attacking only Zerglings - those Roaches are bound to take a good number of hits so that your Zerglings can do their thing.

At least, that's my theory.

And of course, we might be seeing Roaches in ZvZ :P.

The thing is that even in large engagements, there's a point where investing in only high DPS units lead to diminishing returns. As the OP out, the enemy may not target Roaches with stuff like Psi Storm, but they're still going to be taking quite a few hits from auto-fire and such, and I suspect that that is enough to justify their inclusion in an army.

Ultralisks and Zerglings works great in Brood War. Pound for pound, Hydras and Zerglings in Brood War are going to do more damage than an Ultralisk. In an ideal world, the enemy would always auto-target Zerglings and Hydralisks first, but Ultralisks always take a lot of hits for their squishier friends. Their damage output isn't as efficient for cost as a Zergling, but it's good enough to clean up the enemy once your Zerglings are all dead. I think the same will be true for the Roach.

I think that a tanking unit should have much more important damage bonus, as otherwise, a general attack on a tough to kill unit has too much potential to mass.

Seeing how the Zerg have problems against Terran infantry early game, i would make the Roach available early, and give it a lower attack and a more important bonus vs light. Roachs would take on Marines, while Zerglings take on Marauders.

Also, it's not too clear if the Roach regeneration is a good idea. Any unit can kill it if the DPS is higher than their regeneration, so masses of ranged units can kill them as long as they're focusing fire.

I think that splash could be important vs Roaches, as overlapping splashes increases the DPS.

Finally, i want to say that Psi Storming Thors is likely to be a common sight. Psi Storm's damage bypasses armor, and softens Thors considerably. The Thor isn't too fast, either. All not too fast units, or very tightly grouped units are a likely candidate to Psi Storm.

The actual stats tell me that a roach vs 2 marines (same cost) win easily.

2 Marine
    110 hp (combat shield on)
    5 range
    12 dmg (normal speed)
    0 armor

1 Roach
    160 hp (+regen)
    3 range
    14 dmg(Probably normal, maybe slow..)
    1 amor

Unmicroed, the marines are eaten alive. If we consider burrowing the damaged roach and the marine being 2 time in number (so the damage output drop each time a marine goes down 2 time more ofter) i dont think the +2 range micro can save them. But plz correct me if i'm wrong.

You guys can say my logic is flawed because all terran will go marauder. But my point is Roach is cost effective vs light. I could have done the same exercice with zergling and zealot and i'm sure the Roach win cost to cost.

That being said, Roach feel boring to me. Considering Burrow is already upgraded for this unit, why don't make another upgrade to make the roach move wile burrowe(i know it was like that for a time, I cant see why it has been cut down). It could lead to really interesting strats and cheeses and add some uniqueness to it, because now I see it like a fat hydra -_-

(plz no flame for english)

Good synopsis. Might I suggest giving the roach a quicker burrow animation, or allowing them to move very slowly while underground. Then they become true to their name with how difficult they can be to kill using proper micro, and their regenerative abilities can be better taken advantage of.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazur View Post
    Good synopsis. Might I suggest giving the roach a quicker burrow animation, or allowing them to move very slowly while underground. Then they become true to their name with how difficult they can be to kill using proper micro, and their regenerative abilities can be better taken advantage of.
    You're right, Burrow animation need to be fast, fast as a Roach crawling for darkness XD.

Is the regen faster undergroung?

Quote Originally Posted by Gt2slurp View Post
    You're right, Burrow animation need to be fast, fast as a Roach crawling for darkness XD.

Is the regen faster undergroung?
    It was at one point, but I think they may have removed that. Who knows what it's like these days.

What's that building that techs Roaches? ("Roach ______")

Are there currently any abilities that get researched there?

Raisk's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by n00bonicPlague View Post
    What's that building that techs Roaches? ("Roach ______")

Are there currently any abilities that get researched there?
    Roach Warren. You can research increased HP regen there once you reach Hive-tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban113 View Post
    How about giving the Roach an attack similar to the Devourer's acid spore attack in BW? - an attack which is weak on it's own, (like the Roach's current one) but creates a temporary effect (on certain unit types - armored?) that increases the amount of damage made by other units. (or in some way lowers the effectiveness of the target)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsiWarp View Post
    I think it'd be cool if the Roach has a passive ability which prevented HP or Energy regeneration of any type, spell (Medivac Heal, SCV Repair) or natural (Zerg Regen, Shield Regen), for perhaps a second or more.

-Psi
    I like xD
    Find Humanity ... Assimilate ... Learn ... Evolve.

Regen and Acid spores? Wouldn't two passive abilities on the Roach be a bit overkill?
    Decepticons, transform and rise up!