Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Easiest" and/or most disappointing game...

Default Re: "Easiest" and/or most disappointing game...

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban113 View Post
    Yeah, I was on the fence about that one, but I was expecting so much from it, I'm afraid that at the end of the day, it had to be sent to the 'disappoint' pile - Looked great; as you said, lots of dark, eerie places - Some good scares and creepy characters...great music for certain - but what was really missing for me was the excitement that I got from playing 'Doom' and 'Quake' - Ancient history by 'RtCW' standards, but I remember tons of heart-pounding moments in those games that I never seemed to get from this one....unless you want to count Helga von Bulow.
    Speaking of Quake and Doom, you just reminded me of another game that I felt let down, and that happens to be Quake 2. For me, while the sequel to Quake may have introduced some improvements and all, but somehow I just didn't feel the rush of seeing the Strogg compared to all manner of beasts and monsters in the first game. Who can forget Chthon rising out from that lava pit, or having to fight Armagon in the first expansion. Quake 2 just didn't get as much of a 'wow' factor for me when I played it.

And to this day, I still consider the Spider Mastermind and the Cyberdemon to be two of the freakish monsters to fight in a FPS. Doom was just awesome back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by AegisKHAOS View Post

And to this day, I still consider the Spider Mastermind and the Cyberdemon to be two of the freakish monsters to fight in a FPS. Doom was just awesome back in the day.
    And not to forget the Fiend and Shambler from Quake.

Quote Originally Posted by AegisKHAOS View Post
    Speaking of Quake and Doom, you just reminded me of another game that I felt let down, and that happens to be Quake 2. For me, while the sequel to Quake may have introduced some improvements and all, but somehow I just didn't feel the rush of seeing the Strogg compared to all manner of beasts and monsters in the first game. Who can forget Chthon rising out from that lava pit, or having to fight Armagon in the first expansion. Quake 2 just didn't get as much of a 'wow' factor for me when I played it.

Yeah, I agree. Q2 grew on me, but I really couldn't understand why they broke away from the original game and its designs - I thought Q1's "medeival futuristic' look was really innovative, and made for a really great looking game. I hope they actually make the decision to revisit it someday.

Yeah, I remember one of those 'Shamblers' popping out of nowhere could really get your heart pumping. Great game - Definitely in my top 10

800 posts.....yay me.
    "Wait.....no Gzhee-Gzhee.....?.....whu......Why no Ghzhee-Gzhee?!?!?!?!"

RIP - Leslie Nielsen

Quote Originally Posted by Eligor View Post
    And not to forget the Fiend and Shambler from Quake.
    The fiend and the shambler, curses me for forgetting those two. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_828 View Post
    Fixed. A very easy mistake to make
    Gender nouns was never my strong point...

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban113 View Post
    Yeah, I was on the fence about that one, but I was expecting so much from it, I'm afraid that at the end of the day, it had to be sent to the 'disappoint' pile - Looked great; as you said, lots of dark, eerie places - Some good scares and creepy characters...great music for certain - but what was really missing for me was the excitement that I got from playing 'Doom' and 'Quake'
    What I think was the problem, now that I've had some time to ponder the matter, was the weapons system.
    You could carry a knife, a flak jacket, a helmet, a pair of binoculars, two journals, twenty kilos of stolen Nazi gold, a Luger with a silencer, two Colt .45s, a Tommy gun, an MP-40, a Sten sub-machine gun, a Kar9K with a scope, a FG-42 Paratrooper rifle, the 'Snooper' rifle with a night vision scope, fifteen potato masher grenades, 5 pineapples, a Panzerfaust with 5 reloads, a Flammenwerfer with two tanks, a 'Venom' rotary gun with 1500 rounds of ammo, 10 bundles of dynamite, and the Tesla gun with 50 batteries.

Not only does that beg the question of how your character avoids a massive, ball-crunching hernia, it means you are a one-man army, and no boss could stand against you by the end of the game. If they limited you to two or three guns, then it would have been much harder... and you would have ended up using the MP-40 a lot more.

Oh, and the Panzerfaust was so wrong. They made it into an RPG-7, when it was more like a low-powered grenade launcher... And why didn't they implement the shotgun and the grenade launcher into campaign?

But even so, the flamethrower in that game was better than any other flamethrower in any other game I've played, including CoD4:WaW.
    Last edited by Quirel; 11-28-2009 at 02:18 AM.

Oh! Oh! I know! I know!

How about......Starcraft 2.

Boo

....and whats the record for thread necromancy.....?
    "Wait.....no Gzhee-Gzhee.....?.....whu......Why no Ghzhee-Gzhee?!?!?!?!"

RIP - Leslie Nielsen

Sarov's Avatar The Enforcer

I'm locking this thread due to obvious thread necromancy.